Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: U.S. vs. Mexican Strat

Forum Member

U.S. vs. Mexican Strat

Ok, the time has come for me to make a leap and buy some electrical rigging. Till now I've always played acoustic guitars (spanish at first and than folk) and through the years I have acquired (IMHO) some good blues techniques.
    I've always liked the particular sound of Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Stratocasters. Now, the first one appears to be made of gold and diamonds (judging by the price) and is therefore excluded for this first approach to electrical. So I'd like to stay on Stratocaster.
    But then I found there are (at least) two versions of this guitar: the American-made and the Mexican-made. And the prices are quite different!

So my question for those of you who have more experience with Fenders is:
    What are the most important differences, if any, (especially regarding the quality issues) between the American and the Mexican made Stratocasters?

Thanks in advance for replies - I'll take the decision relying on your advices.
    Last edited by Daiquiri; 11-21-2005 at 06:47 AM.

Re: U.S. vs. Mexican Strat

The Mexican made Strats are very high quality and quite adequate for the majority of players. You will always find someone ranting about the poor quality of "ONE PARATICULAR" MIM Strat, and much the same for a given MIA Strat. Perhaps the most important thing is, what do you think?
    Have you played both of them?

Of course there will be obvious differences in the materials and quailty of the hardware and pick-ups, but is there enough difference to make you want one over the other regardless of cost, or money saved.

My only real complaint with the MIM Strats is that (to me) the p'ups just don't sound great at high volume. At low volume levels, I think they sound better than the MIA p'ups but they just don't hold up well once the band starts playing. That was my experience.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

Thanks for advice.
    BTW, "Happiness is a choice" is a really nice thought. Almost a guideline...

Quote Originally Posted by Daiquiri
    BTW, "Happiness is a choice" is a really nice thought. Almost a guideline...
    Thanks Daiquiri, I try to make "the choice" daily.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

My advice is to just play as many Strats as you can get your hands on until you find one that really has "it". It may be a MIM or a MIA. For me it was an MIM, cold-steely-hands stuff, but I don't believe that really generalises to anything useful. Fender offers potentially fantastic bang-for-buck in their guitars at the moment. The price you pay is no guarantee of anything one way the another (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it.)

-Mark (once upon a time "Gibson guy")

Forum Member

All well and good, but if your looking for a long-term axe, then why not spend a few extra bucks, and get the good hardware, pickups, wiring and be done with it? Besidesw,,,it`ll appreciate if it is going to be a long term guitar. I just find the AM`s slightly more substantial in feel, and tone.

CT.

The Mexican Standard pickups are not too good, but the rest is nice.
    Hardware is not what you would consider top stuff, but it is very functional.
    The neck width and the bridge width is narrower than US. This info is for the Standard only.

Now if you go to the MiM Classic series, then none of that applies. Some of the best values you can find.

I don't know if this is current, but it gives you a base to start. Comparison Chart
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Thanks a lot guys, and thanks to you photoweb - that chart is what I was looking for.
    Of course, it remains that I'll try them all before I buy anything, but it takes experience to evaluate a guitar and till now I've only played acoustic ones. So at this stage I probably couldn't even catch all the subtle differences between various models. That's why I appreciate your opinions right now. :)
    Thanks again.

The MIM Classic series was designed as a less expensive version of the USA AV series. The USA version has a nitro top finish the MIM is all poly. Thats what makes the USA versions cost so much more its basicly the finish.

The pickups and hardware on the USA versions are higher quality than the MIM versions are. But if you replace the MIM hardware and pickups with the USA stuff on tape you really cant hear the difference.

What I like to do is buy a used 50's-60's Classic Strat replace the pickups with Fralins and replace the bridge with the USA tremelo or Callaham unit.

Once I have done that and tweaked it a little they sound as good as any of them to me.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 11-21-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Thanks Daiquiri, I try to make "the choice" daily.
    Yeah, but Bob gets hung up on choices. He buys a new axe every month and a new amp every other week!

In fact, it got so bad this week he's started buying them in pairs!!

He just can't seem to choose one!
    :rofl:rofl
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

fezz parka

A good guitar is a good guitar. I've played $10,000 dogs and $200 beauties. Find one that plays good.:yay

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    Yeah, but Bob gets hung up on choices. He buys a new axe every month and a new amp every other week!

In fact, it got so bad this week he's started buying them in pairs!!

He just can't seem to choose one!
    :rofl:rofl
    I guess if "Happiness is A choice," you get more happiness by making more choices. He's a happy guy.

Happiness is a choice. For sheer glee, get them all!
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    A good guitar is a good guitar. I've played $10,000 dogs and $200 beauties. Find one that plays good.:yay
    Sure. One of the guitars I bring to gigs was free. Between the gig bag, pickups and bigsby, I've got about $100 into it. I play it as much as my $1,000 strat.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Yep, my notorious Esquire was built from a tired old MIM Nashville Tele. Probably worth maybe $300 and it's a rip-snorting, fire breathing little guitar. All my expensive guitars are backups!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

fezz parka

The Fezzsquire was also a MIM Standard. It rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    I don't know if this is current, but it gives you a base to start. Comparison Chart

Cool link pho :yay

:nelson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

That was a great link and accurate also.

Now someone needs to make a MIM Classic USA AV series comparison chart.

I know all the specs by heart and can supply all the info if anyone wants to do the html parts.

Let me have it. I'll host it, or I'll have the magazine host it.. Probably me, though..
    Photoweborama

I might be biased here because I just recently got myself a new AmSe in sunburst, but I think the quality of this instrument is superior to the MIM Strat I owned previously and wound up selling. It plays more smoothly, the pickups are amazing, and it resonates great. And this is coming from a Les Paul player who, after selling the MIM strat, vowed to never play Fenders for the rest of his life.
    That's a neat comparison table, though. It says that the Am strats are "Schaller straplock ready." Can somebody link me to the exact kind of Schaller strap lock set I would need to get in order for this to work?

Just the regular Shallers. I have the ones that came with Fenders and then bought the ones in the store. Same thing.

I prefer my AmSer strat over the MiM standards I've had, but mostly because the neck was wider, and I like the 2 point Trem better, but quality wise, the MiM was really good. I've not owned the classic series. I know they are really good.
    Photoweborama

50's-60's MIM Classic

Started production in 1998
    These guitars replaced the MIJ/CIJ series Fender had been importing from Japan.
    Body wood in 1998 was poplar on solid colors Alder on Sunburst models with a $50 upcharge. In 2000 the body wood changed to Alder on all models.

These are usually 3 piece bodies on the Sunburst models and 3-4 piece on solid colors. These are all solid woods and have never used any type of veneer.

The body is finished in polyester which is thicker than polyurethane which is used on the neck.

These are routed s-s-s like the original Fenders and do not have any holes in the top for cnc clamps/guides like the other MIM bodies do.

They use the 6 screw vintage tremelo system and the bridge system is identical in size to the USA version so its a direct swap for the USA AV tremelo or a Callaham Vintage tremelo system. The Tremelo block is zinc. The Tremelo system used on the 50's-60's Classics is made by Ping as are the tuners.

The electronics and pots and switches are all the same as the USA version CTS pots 250k.

The pickups are Alnico staggared magnets with aged covers.

The necks are all maple soft v on the 50's and maple with a indian rosewood fretboard on the 60's models. Both are 7.25 radius with vintage sized frets. 21 frets. The headstock decal is under the finish.

Street price in 2005 around $629 with gig bag.

57/62 USA AV Strats
    Started in 1982 at the Fullerton plant where it all started. In 85-86 Fender didnt have a USA plant in operation so used imported from Japan models for the reissue series. In 1998 the model changed and new pickups were added along with a more historically correct headstock shape and 12 fret dot markers.

Body woods Alder on both on all models except the 57 Strat if ordered in White Blonde you get ASH body $150 upcharge.

Body is routed s-s-s like the originals and also has deeper coutours than the MIM Classics.

2-3 piece bodies finished in poly sealer and undercoats with nitro color and top coats.

The way to tell the pickups apart is the 82-98 ones dont have beveled magnets the 98-present ones have extra beveled magnets. When they changed the pickup spec they basicly reverse engineered a 1963 Strat pickup using all the same materials. 5.6k ohms the middle is not rwrp.

The 6 hole vintage tremelo system is made by Gotoh as are the Tuners. The tremelo has a steel block and is higher quality than the ping unit used on the MIM Classic series.

Necks are both 7.25 radius with vintage sized frets all maple soft v on the 57 rosewood cap on the 62. The headstock decal is on top of the finish. Nitro finished necks.

Electronics same as all Fenders CTS 250k.

Street price around $1350 with brown tolex case was tweed from 82-98.

In 1982 this model cost $600 with tweed case.

THis is all from memory and sorta rambling so if I left anything out let me know.

Ciao Daiquiri!
    I was in your exact same position 3 years ago, although I do NOT have any decent blues technique whatsoever :)
    Since then, I have accumulated a lot of data about both Gibsons and Fenders and I now own a 1996 Les Paul Standard, a MIA Telecaster I assembled myself and a MIM Strat with US 57/62 pickups I also assembled myself.
    Additionally, I live in Italy, near Torino and I am quite familiar with the large and unjustifiable (IMHO) price differentials between guitars in the US and in Italy. Being American, it's quite easy (too easy!) for me to purchase equipment online from the States, and I have been able to help quite a few fellow musicians this way.
    If you would be interested in contacting me to discuss electric guitars (and amps! they are extremely important), please feel free to drop me a line at humbuxx@yahoo.com
    BTW, I speak Italian too (I'm professional translator).
    Penso di poterti aiutare a scegliere bene e anche a risparmiare un po' di soldini, che non guasta.
    Ciao!
    My other car is a Telecaster®

I own a MIM Strat...a Jimmie Vaughan singnature and it is every bit as nice as my '97 AmSt Lone Star Strat. The JV has USA Tex Mex pickups and hardware. It plays unbelievebly well. Don't limit yourself by ruling the MIMs out.
    Friends don't let friends play cheap guitars.

My Soundclick Page

All the hardware the Jimmie Vaughan uses is the exact same as the USA AV series all gotoh.

Its easily the best bang for the buck in the whole Fender lineup.

Some one is going to bash me for this post. I just know it! My first Strat was a 75 MIA.I bought it new. It was the best I had ever owned. I had to sell it for financial reasons. Later down the road I purchased a 90's MIJ Strat. Pretty good guitar. Sounded great and built very well. That went away. After my divorce, I bought a 99 MIM. It sounded great but alittle thin. I put on a new pickguard and changed to two string tees and waxed the neck soo much it's shinie. Installed 2 Texas Specials and a Hot Rails in the bridge. If you listen to some of my tracks posted here, It sounds sweet. I recently bought a 94 MIA. I hated the tone. I sold it quick. The MIA's are made to last longer, I see signs of the hardware on my MIM starting to get worn. So to each his own. Like previous posts, if you want the best bang for the buck, you will just have to decide for yourself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas
    ... if you want the best bang for the buck, you will just have to decide for yourself.
    Yes, I've arrived to the same conclusion after reading all the opinions. :) Tele-bob's prophecy has turned out to be correct....
    Anyways, this has become a very interesting discussion. I (and probably whoever else dropped in to read the posts) have learned a lots of new stuff. Thanks again to all of you.
    Last edited by Daiquiri; 11-23-2005 at 04:25 AM.

and what about the Deluxe MIM strats? do they compare to the US models or they're similar to Highway 1 or the Standard series?
    according to Fender, the wood is upgraded on the Deluxe Powerhouse... have anybody tried one of these 2005 models?

The deluxe models are nice they use the same body as the JV which has non standard routes and crop circles. But nice guitars. The powerhouse is a sorta less expensive version of the Claptom Strat they are also a sleeper not many people play them but they are also very good.

I've got one of the new MIM Deluxe Players Strats (the one with the Vintage Noiseless pickups like on the Clapton Strat) and I love it. I replaced the pickguard - was going to put on White Pearl as I thought that would look nice with the White knobs, etc. against the Blue, but I ended up putting on a crazy flame pickguard I came across that everyone thought was crazy looking). Anyway, regardless of your taste in guards, the guitar itself is nice for the $$$. You get the same pickups as the Clapton Strat and get an extra circuit to let you play bridge/neck and/or all 3 pickups at once. I don't use this feature much as I prefer the traditional 2 and 4 positions for most stuff but it does give some interesting effects on certain songs. Also, the neck feels very nice (as the name says, a "players" Strat!)

MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Quote Originally Posted by mmcquain
    Great look!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I dig that see thru blue finish.

This is a mexi Strat

Quote Originally Posted by Marcondo
    The deluxe models are nice they use the same body as the JV which has non standard routes and crop circles. But nice guitars. The powerhouse is a sorta less expensive version of the Claptom Strat they are also a sleeper not many people play them but they are also very good.

yes, the powerhouse is an EXCELLENT guitar......it has that hidden pup that, when engaged, really juices up the power/tone

i have the yellow one :yay

and, mmcquain, i love that flame pickguard!
    Imanidiot.

i trust you guys, so today i ordered myself a powerhouse with a maple neck but it won't be here before christmas... i'm planning to replace the tuners the bridge and the pickups though. When i will change the pickups, will i be able to put on the same pickguard but without the dummy coil?

Yes.

thank you very much!

Being an owner of MIA, MIM and CIJ Strats, I think each guitar has it own character. I have one '91 MIM that plays like buttah and sounds shweet with a Duncan JB in the bridge.

Jimmie Vaughan in Oly White

It could say made in Iraq for all I care. It is the best playing/sounding Strat I have ever owned. Period.
    Friends don't let friends play cheap guitars.

My Soundclick Page

The Jimmie Vaughan for my hands does have the absolute most comfortable neck ever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmcquain
    this pick just gave me an idea

do they make pickguards that look like maps of the united states?