Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epi SG Junior Wrap Around Bridge...

Re: Epi SG Junior Wrap Around Bridge...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    phtot- When you say anchors, do you mean the threaded inserts that are in the body that the 2 studs screw into?
    Are you making up the diff in hole diameter w/guitar picks?

Bad idea. Bad, bad idea. There's a lot of tourque on those inserts, they need to be solid. How much smaller are they? If they're not too small, you may be able to use some wood shims to fill the holes, but glue them in place and tap the insert in while the glue is wet. Just like the toothpick trick, only bigger. Line the circumference of the hole with the wood.

It almost sounds like doweling and drilling is the only way to fix it correctly.

Big difference between this and a neck shim. There's no tourque on the pick when it's laying in between two pieces of wood screwed together.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    Bad idea. Bad, bad idea. There's a lot of torque on those inserts, they need to be solid. How much smaller are they? If they're not too small, you may be able to use some wood shims to fill the holes, but glue them in place and tap the insert in while the glue is wet. Just like the toothpick trick, only bigger. Line the circumference of the hole with the wood.

It almost sounds like doweling and drilling is the only way to fix it correctly.

Big difference between this and a neck shim. There's no torque on the pick when it's laying in between two pieces of wood screwed together.
    The holes are quite a bit larger. doweling and drilling would be the only way to do it. But I'd have to have a shop do that. The picks should work fine after they get seated. right now the pick just fills up the space on one side. There is no real movement at the bridge, just tension.

If it does not work, I'll just try something else. Now if it was a Gibson Les Paul Jr, or a "real" guitar, I'd worry a lot more...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Well, at least glue them in. Use some Superglue or something that'll stick to plastic.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Too bad the Schaller posts don't fit in the Epi bushings.I was hoping they would.

I'd consider having the Epi's original posts turned down and putting the original bushings back in.

Do you know anyone who works in a tool room or machine shop?

Doweling would be the sland. But getting your centers just right for redrilling can be tricky.
    Depending on how much diameter you need to make up, maybe you could build up layers of glued in wood veneer inside the holes, then thread/hammer the inserts in nice and solid like.
    Are these threaded in or just hammered in?
    It just seems like the pick idea could become unstable &, hence, annoying over time.
    I'd hate to see you open another thread with "@@#$@$$!!#@@ !!?$%&$#!!!!" a few months down the road.

BTW: Did you bang your head at all in that accident? ;)
    Keep on rockin' anyhoo.:yay
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

The picks seem to work well, I'll dowel it if I have to, but I really don't think it will come to that. These are the press in kind, and I really think if there is sufficient pressure from the flat surfaces of the wood against against the pick and the flat surfaces of the post, it's going to work fine.

I shifted my back and neck out of place. I did not even notice for a week, but I started getting these crippling pains.
    Photoweborama

yo marky,

if you want to come down and fix up the geetar shoot me an email man. i've got a full shop at my parent's house.

chuckles
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks Chuck, If there are any problems I will, but I think it will be fine.
    I'm trying to keep this in perspective. it is just an $89.00 guitar!
    Photoweborama

well, i do own a $2,000 mim strat...i know what you're talking about.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"