Thread: What constitutes a technically perfect song?

Forum Member music-n-motorcycle's Avatar

What constitutes a technically perfect song?

Is a twelve bar blues song technically perfect. I have heard technically perfect songs will have a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, brigde or solo verse, chorus chorus.
    .....Or how about verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, verse chorus.

Or how about a song that tells a story and doesn't really have a chorus to speak of. I have heard talk of Los Lonely Boys being no where near technical. I have to say that they are easy to play because they are technically perfect. Musically they don't play anything new. they just set it up in a way that sounds fresh. with new lyrics.

I would really like feed back on what you think a technically good or perfect song is. Please don't be shy.
    4:20, my favorite time of day.

Re: What constitutes a technically perfect song?

Depends what you mean by "Technically Perfect."

We had a previous thread on "perfect pop songs."
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

That is the point, what is technically perfect. I'm not necessarily looking for song titles, but what is the essence of "Technically Perfect"? I am hoping for many diverse answers. Music is based on theory and therefore there must be more than one correct answer. or no correct answers. Is Technically perfect boring? I mean you can't play one song all night because it is "the" technically perfect song. That would be boring. Is it possible to set up a whole night of music with every song being technically perfect without repeating the same progressions over and over.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

When you use the word "technically" what comes to mind for me is the music of JS Bach. His structure and form are breathtaking on all levels of detail. How he constructs a piece, a movement, a motif, a phrase, a figure is perfect.

I don't know that you can separate "technical" quality from aesthetic quality. The music of Bach is extremely moving and much of it is devilishly difficult to play. Somebody may have mastered all the mechanic aspects necessary to play the notes and still make a dreadful noise. Likewise, you've simply got to have the technical facility to play the pieces correctly or you'll never make music out of it.

When I was in school I learned the 1st Cello Suite BWN 1007. And I mean I learned that thing. It was an amazing experience to carry that piece around in my head.

In my opinion, for Western art music, it doesn't get better.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by music-n-motorcycle
    Music is based on theory and therefore there must be more than one correct answer. or no correct answers...
    I agree that there may be no answer in music to "technically perfect".

I may just come down to what you like (or dont like).

When I was in school I learned the 1st Cello Suite BWN 1007. And I mean I learned that thing. It was an amazing experience to carry that piece around in my head
    Yeah, but if someone else cant stand listening to it how can it be "technically perfect". It's too subjective.

Let's make originality part of the equation -- and watch it explode over other criteria we can come up with.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Difficult to answer. It's like asking what a technically perfect joke is. If one person fails to laugh, then it's not perfect.
    Then, you have so many different genre's of music to choose from. It's all subjective.

I like Curtis's answer, because you can grasp technicality in classical music a bit easier. With modern music, you have many different factors to consider. Composition, melody, harmony, musicianship, production, length of song, lyrics, relevance, etc. It's hard to say without giving examples. Brian Wilson composed, produced and performed 'perfect' pop songs relevant to the time they were recorded (and beyond). Bob Marley wrote 'perfect' reggae tunes, etc. Then again, it's all my opinion.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

A technicality must be scientific in nature. Therefore, the subjective nature of music does not condone itself to science but then in turn is artistic in nature and cannot (by definition) be technically perfect.

If this is the case, then what are the music industry types refering to when they say technically perfect.

In fact, I would think that this make the phrase "technically perfect" a misnomer at best.

Then would that make discussions on technically perfect music moot conversations.

with technically perfect songs being moot....does that make this thread necessary or unnecessary?

is this thread serving as a means to spread the word, or is it just a place where those that are right and those that think they are right come to chat?

...or is it just a place where those that are right and those that think they are right come to chat?

from going to school they definitely is a "correct" way to write a song. but i soon forgot all that crap and learned to just listen. if it sounds good to me then it gets the "chucko stamp of approval". rules be damned!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Gravity Jim

"Perfect" is an absolute, so there can't be more than one answer.

There is no general consensus as to what constitutes a "technically perfect" song, so the term is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone
    It's like asking what a technically perfect joke is.
    The answer may lie here.
    orange picks

A perfect receptive ear, in a perfect soul, within a perfect moment delivered a perfect musical reflection of his thoughts.

In other words there ain't no such thing.

Bach was "mathematically", "melodically", "harmonically" & "structurally" perfect but about as dry and soulless as the Gobi.

Just My Pinion
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    Bach was "mathematically", "melodically", "harmonically" & "structurally" perfect but about as dry and soulless as the Gobi.

Just My Pinion

Ouch!

May I submit that you have perhaps not heard Bach performed well? I would suggest you get something like this:
    http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/...26&skuId=27376

It's John Williams performing a transcription of the Bach Chaconne from Violin Partita # 2 BWV 1004. "Passionate" does not even begin to do justice.

That's my favorite John Williams album. Simply sublime playing of beautiful music.

Tell you what, Annie. If you get yourself that album and do not like it, I'll paypal you whatever you paid for it. I'm that sure of it.
    s'all goof.

TFF Stage Crew

What constitutes a technically perfect song?

How many times it's discussed to death on Internet guitar forums?

:)

If it makes money it's good. If it makes you rich, it's perfect.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim
    so the term is meaningless.

I think that is the general consensus. At this point, I am putting it to rest forever. It is a pointless conversation. Now I know whether to listen to "technical" blowhards or just laugh at them. and for that I thank you.

Is a twelve bar blues song technically perfect. I have heard technically perfect songs will have a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, brigde or solo verse, chorus chorus.
    .....Or how about verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, verse chorus.

Or how about a song that tells a story and doesn't really have a chorus to speak of. I have heard talk of Los Lonely Boys being no where near technical. I have to say that they are easy to play because they are technically perfect. Musically they don't play anything new. they just set it up in a way that sounds fresh. with new lyrics.

I would really like feed back on what you think a technically good or perfect song is. Please don't be shy.

A great song has nothing to do with technique---it's all in the melody and energy of the tune.
    "Hey Jude","Let It Be","Get Back",or any number of Beatle tunes were not chocked full of chords or technical expertise,just great execution,melody,and lyrics that kiss the music.It's tough to play simple.
    Of course,they did some wild stuff too.
    "Penny Lane" is to me about as perfect as you can get ,as far as a complete tune.
    "Every Breath You Take" is another study in simplicity,with a big pocket and great mix and production(not to mention a great singer).The song has to take you somewhere and be a complete picture,not just great lyrics and shoddy music.
    It's all in the melody and storyline.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

In case anyone cares, there are guide lines that can be followed with the harmonic progression of chords. Mind you that it can't grantee a "perfect song", or even a great song. You still have to pick out a pleasing sequence, this chart is meant simply as map and like any map you don't have to follow the roads marked, but it is a good idea especially if you are new to writing chord progressions. Also sometimes people will stray away from it to sound interesting.

Major chord progressions

the I chord can go to anything
    the ii chord can go to the V or the diminished vii
    iii can go to IV or vi
    IV can go to I, ii, V, or dim vii
    V can go to I or vi
    vi can go to IV or ii
    And finally the diminished vii chord can only go to the I chord

Anyone care to know about minor progressions?

Quote Originally Posted by refin
    "Every Breath You Take" is another study in simplicity,with a big pocket and great mix and production(not to mention a great singer).The song has to take you somewhere and be a complete picture,not just great lyrics and shoddy music.
    It's all in the melody and storyline.
    That's a great example of great song construction and record making. The funny parts is that people tend to hear it as your love song. All the crisp pop sheen lulls you into accepting it. But the lyric is pretty dark and obsessive. Creepy. They just rhyme smoothly and fall just right on the tune. I think that contrast is way cool. Freedy Johnston does that a lot.

I'm with chuck. I can respect all the technical stuff, but it always comes down to a visceral, naive response. That might lead me to engage with it in a deeper way, but I can't really decide to like music based on a list qualifications. It gets under my skin or it doesn't.
    Writing or playing a song is a crap shoot.
    The test marketing and collaborative/cross-marketing stuff going on now in the show-biz is a sad attempt to try to be all things to all people.
    But perfect really happens somehwere just past the opening of the listener's ear.

BTW: I'm listening to something called "Fried Chicken Hot Rod" on Live365.com. "She Thinks I Still Care" by George Jones is on now.
    They played some Big Sandy. This stuff is striking me as "perfect" at the moment.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

I'll have to agree with Fuave, and those who don't, well then every single day, every word you say, every game you play, every night you stay, I’ll be watching you.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

..but then again, the fact that Sting is involved renders it absolutely not perfect. Just my opinion. :ahem
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone
    ..but then again, the fact that Sting is involved renders it absolutely not perfect. Just my opinion. :ahem
    The second well-placed Sting jab in a week. Bravo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sabby
    The second well-placed Sting jab in a week. Bravo!!!
    Wouldn't work if it wasn't true.
    orange picks