Thread: Portable recording rig suggestions.

Portable recording rig suggestions.

Hey Everybody,

Found out a bit ago that coming this Feb Ill be moving overseas for a year. The amount of stuff I will be able to take is limited so given that, and the fact that I am not comfortable moving my entire studio with me (alot of reasons, the biggest being that realistically, I am not going to have the time to really make any use of it), but, what I am planning on doing is taking probably one or two of my guitars, a keyboard, and .. I dont know.. maybe something else.

So anyway, anyone got any suggestions on what might be a good set up. Ill be using Sonar 4 on my laptop. Thats solid, Ive used it before. I might get a small mixer, maybe a tiny mackie or something, or one of those M-audio interfaces.

Basically what I am hoping to do is to set up something where I can put down ideas and develop them a bit, but Im not looking to put down full produced songs. Just ideas until I can get back to the states and go from there. That sort of thing.

I was thinking about taking my POD, but they have that funky 220 (or whatever it is) and all my stuff is 110 (or whatever it is in the states) .. so I didnt know how that would affect the stuff. I dont want to go out and buy all overseas versions of the stuff I already have.

Anybody have any insight or experience with something like this?

Thanks!
    Alpine

Re: Portable recording rig suggestions.

Anthing that runs on a "wall wart" can work fine, if you purchase the corresponding 230V adapters.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I've been eyeing that Lexicon unit for USB recording. It can record 4 tracks at once, has phantom-powered XLR on 2 of the inputs, and costs only $299. Plus it's got the Pantheon reverb plug-in.

Check here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/245505/

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Thanks Rick, Im diggin that unit, thats pretty much along the line of what I had in mind

I may also be moving overseas for about a year. I'll be going to the UK.

Most computers run and 110-20/60hz and 220-30/50hz.

As mentioned, wall warts can be replaced to supply the correct voltage DC and you can get transformers for other gear. Gear with digital clocks built in (most stuff has that) will not run correctly at 50hz. Check your transformers and/or power conditioners for frequency.

Many computers are switchable for power in. The only gear that will really give you trouble are things that make heat like hair dryers, toasters, coffee makers, etc.

Anyone with a good ear and some tech imagination can do great sounding recordings with only a soundcard and good software.

fezz parka

If it's just for ideas, get a cheap mixer and use the sound card in the laptop.

I wondered if the frequency was different over there and if it would affect gear. Although, my biggest concern really is just stuff blowing up.

as for the mixer and the laptop soundcard, thats kinda my plan, but I was keepin my options open seeing what all was out there. I dont want to get over there (and I know, no matter I do, this will happen) and go.. man.. I wish I could do this..

Even though my intention is just to lay down ideas, I know Im gonna get to a point where I want to build em into something a little more... so I wanna have just a notch above basic. Ill probably be relying on plug ins and software stuff alot more than I have in the past.. but.. if anything itll force me to learn new stuff

fezz parka

You can make great recordings with the onboard soundcard. Unless you're going to record more than two tracks at a time, the mixer/soundcard combo is just fine for a one man band. Springsteen made "Nebraska" on a cassette machine!

I know.. I really should embrace the minimalism.. Im just used to havin all my gear at my disposal, and Im probably trying to figure out some way I can get a little box that will make up for all my gear.. wouldnt that be somethin..

In the plus column for the Omega, you can just as easily jack that into the laptop, and have full-size mic and instrument inputs. Plus, it's small enough that you can probably stash it in the laptop bag. But Fezz is right, you can certainly do a lot with just the stereo input on your soundcard.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."