Thread: Weber Signature 12 Ceramic vs. 12F150x?

Weber Signature 12 Ceramic vs. 12F150x?

Anyone here tried both and know the difference? I've used Ted's Sig 12 Alnico in my weber kit and it was quite good. I'd like to find a pair of 8 Ohm '60's Jensen C12NS speakers but looks like the days of cheapies are gone.

Ted's 12F150x (x = different variants) get excellent reviews but at $100 a pop they're an expensive experiment. The Sig 12 Ceramics are a bit cheaper but reading his descriptions of the two I'd guess they don't have the top end the 150s do.

I've pulled the vintage C12Qs out of the Pro Reverb as I've been getting carried away with the amp and don't want to shred them. They'll go into a lower power homebrew eventually. Right now I have the Eminence Legend 122s back in the amp and have to turn the bright switch on to get back the sparkle the C12Qs gave me.

Anyone?

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

Re: Weber Signature 12 Ceramic vs. 12F150x?

From Ted's tip of the day from the Weber site:

"Vintage Series vs Signature Series -- Our vintage series speakers use tighter, more concentric voice coil gaps, and lower carbon, machined steel parts in the magnet circuits which yield a stronger, more controlled tone at all volumes, particularly in the low end at high volumes. Our Signature Series uses all industry standard parts like all the rest of the speakers on the market and is a economical choice as a replacement speaker for low to moderate volume use."

No experience with the ceramics, but my alnico Sig 12 (reconed @ 50W) is a really nice spounding speaker for the price.

Nothing near the sound of my 10A150, though.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Thanks JAM I missed that. Kap'n, I had a pair of 25 watt alnico Sig 12s in my Weber double deluxe. Very good speaker. The 35 watt Emi Legend 122 alnicos were a bit brighter but don't have that woody tweedy thing going on. Could have been the cab. I just jumpered the Emis in my Pro Reverb to the output of the DD and vice versa.

Thanks guys. The 50 watt ceramic Sigs would probably be fine for my needs.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

TT, you'd probably be fine with the 25W alnico ones, if you don't push the amp really hard.

If you blow them, Ted can recone the alnicos to 50W.
    orange picks

Forum Member

The Sig series speakers aren't manufactured by WeberVST. That's not to say that the Sig series is bad or inferior, but they're a bit different than the Vintage series.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtweed
    The Sig series speakers aren't manufactured by WeberVST. That's not to say that the Sig series is bad or inferior, but they're a bit different than the Vintage series.
    Right. That's why the Alnicos only come in 25W, but can be reconed to 50W. They're nice speakers.
    orange picks

Forum Member

Which of the Signature series gives a warmer sound? The Alnicos or the Ceramics? I need a replacement speaker for my Princeton that I've decided needs to be resurrected.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    Which of the Signature series gives a warmer sound? The Alnicos or the Ceramics? I need a replacement speaker for my Princeton that I've decided needs to be resurrected.

Thanks!
    The alnicos compress more when hit hard, so I'd say alnico.

They've got two different types of 10" alnico. The regular, and the "S" which is brighter. I've got the "S" model in my tweed Bandmaster, and they sound great.
    orange picks

I'm definetly after ceramics for the Pro Reverb. Just don't want to burn the C12Qs. They sound so good I just want to make it "one louder."

:)

So 12F150s for me. The 50 watt 12F150T variant looks interesting. The same cone as the alnico 12A125. Hmmm.

TT

Edit:

Someone should have told this winner that Ted only charges $45 for these brand new.

Oops.
    Last edited by Tele-Tubby; 10-25-2005 at 06:03 PM.
    On SmartPhones:

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Tubby
    Someone should have told this winner that Ted only charges $45 for these brand new.

Oops.
    Guess they got carried away. :bwa

Wait a minute, I think he's a regular on the Weber boards....
    orange picks

Just ordered a 12F150 and a 12F150T after searching over at the "other" fender forum. Lots of info there about the webers. Ted had recommended one of each for a 2x12. The straight 150 for the C12N big bottom, mids and smooth highs and the 150T to add sparkle.

I also learned in my search that the T is for Treble (duh) and under Ted's previous naming scheme, the 12F150T was called a C12NT. A C12Q tonal equivalent.

I ordered them undoped and 25W.

Now to tell my wife...

:swal

TT
    On SmartPhones:

Good choice. I have a pair of his 12F150 in a 2x12 cab, used with an Allen Old Flame head and it sounds very 60's Fender. I also have a pair of Weber Chicago's (high power version of the same speaker) in a '71 Twin Reverb and it kills.Ted Weber's speakers rock!

I put them in last night and they're a lot darker than I expected. Will they go darker (warmer) or brighter as they break in?

TT
    On SmartPhones:

They should loosen up and brighten a bit. Play loud for a long time. (it is a good excuse for not turning down ;) ) I found 10-15 hours of gig/rehearsal volumes breaks them in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by DoobieK
    They should loosen up and brighten a bit. Play loud for a long time. (it is a good excuse for not turning down ;) ) I found 10-15 hours of gig/rehearsal volumes breaks them in nicely.
    Right. The sound sort of expands. More highs and the bottom is a less tight.
    orange picks

This morning I had a chance to crank it up a bit (amp 6, guitar 10) and got in about 30 minutes before work and after Leigh left with the kids. Even though they're 25 watters, they do need to be pushed harder than the old C12Qs at this point to deliver. I expect they'll loosen up nicely. Really an excellent sound, I just don't want them to go darker.

Ted's stuff is great!

TT
    On SmartPhones:

Update.

They are really the hot setup in this amp. Big open clean sound. I've been jamming some old Christmas blues and this guitar (LP R4) amp-speaker combo is just the sland.

TT

p.s. If anyone cares, the Snake Oil strings are about a month old and I swear they're sounding better as they age. Sweet sweet sweet.

:yay
    On SmartPhones:

Forum Member

Keep us updated. I've been wanting speakers for my Pro. I've actaully been considering the Jensen Neo speakers for their weight. Would like to lighten up the Pro just a bit. No one seems to have any personal experience with them.

You say Pro and speaker"s" so I take it you mean Pro Reverb also? The Weber 12F150 ceramics added a few pounds over the old C12Qs (wonderful in this amp) and Eminence Legend 122 Alnicos. It's noticeably heavier.

If lightweight is what you want and can't find a Neo opinion you might just go ahead with a pair of alnico Webers.

The 12A125, or one of it's variants, weighs in at 6lbs, and is available in 20 or 30 watt form.

Here's the blurb from Ted's site on the 12A125:

"For late 50's tweed Deluxe, replaces Chicago Jensen P12Q. 12", 11oz AlNiCo magnet, 20 or 30 watts, 1-1/4" voice coil, seamed, ribbed cone. Bright, later breakup that is very smooth and compressed at higher volumes.
    A favorite for late tweed and early brown Deluxe."

At $100 each they're not cheap so I recommend calling or emailing Ted for a recommendation. He will help you out.

http://www.tedweber.com/

TT
    On SmartPhones:

Forum Member

Hey TT, what's the latest on your 12F150? Ted Weber says that's the speaker I should put in my SFDR.

Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by TT100
    The 12A125, or one of it's variants, weighs in at 6lbs, and is available in 20 or 30 watt form.

Here's the blurb from Ted's site on the 12A125:

"For late 50's tweed Deluxe, replaces Chicago Jensen P12Q. 12", 11oz AlNiCo magnet, 20 or 30 watts, 1-1/4" voice coil, seamed, ribbed cone. Bright, later breakup that is very smooth and compressed at higher volumes.
    A favorite for late tweed and early brown Deluxe."
    I've got the 12A125 in my 5E3, and it just kills. Of course, it's not the speaker for every amp.
    orange picks

Hey TT.

I'm wondering if you hear any differences between the 12F150 and 12F150T? Or do you just know the blend?

Oledantucker, I got your email. As far as the DR, just my opinion, but I really like vintage Jensen C12Qs and Ted's 25watt 12F150T is his replacement. Definetly worth a try.

Sabby, the answer is yes, they do actually sound different. Being that they're mounted so close side by side they do blend well and work together. Sitting in front of the amp though I hear the straight 150's bigger bottom end, smooth mids and highs. The 150T is a little lighter on the bottom but has a very nice high-end sparkle. Just the quality I like so much in the old C12Qs.

This report just in:

The Snake Oil strings I put on the Goldtop in late September have lost absolutely nothing. Just unreal. I hit them, bend the snot out of them, don't wipe them down much and have even slacked them completely a couple of times for some pickup change experiments.

You still around PinkStrat?

TT
    On SmartPhones:

Forum Member

Wow! I did a search on Jensen Neo speakers and the post that came up in this thread was from me almost exactly 2 years ago. And I'm STILL only considering a speaker change. Guess I'm a little slow.