Thread: What will any of these do for recording?

What will any of these do for recording?

Hi,

I took my first shot at recording today. I just went into the mic input of my onboard sound card with an adapter on my guitar cable. So the basic connection was made and I was able to record. I used KRISTAL for the software.

How would the quality or ease of recording benifit if I had any of these?

Audio Buddy

interface

sound card

Here are some others:

another sound card with 1/4" inputs

rolls computer interface

Not that I thought the quality was bad, but will one of these sound cards have an effect on quality?

Will I be able to record a SM58 into a card with an adapter? or do I need one of the interface/pre-amp things.

Any comments on these items or any general commments on newbie recording would be a help

Thanks,

CyberStrat

Re: What will any of these do for recording?

You'll definitely capture a better sound using a pre-amp to convert from analog (the mic) into digital (the computer), and you'll end up having far more control over your record levels. But I don't have experience with those specific ones.

Another cheap entry option is one each of these for about $85 total:
    http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

Whats good about going in through the USB port, is that it supposedly isolates the diskdrive noise

That said... don't discount the value of spending a bit more on the pre-amp/interface and getting bundled software with it -- that can make a world of difference in the quality of your output and the quality of your experience with it.

I started off using kristal, but bought an Mbox which came with ProTools LE. Night and day in terms of quality and ease-of-use.

Re: What will any of these do for recording?

Thanks for the response.

Does anyone know if I purchase a small mixer like clayville suggested, where would the outputs get connected? Do they go into the soundcard line in or mic input?

Does the mixer serve the same purpose as a, for example, the audio buddy?

I posted a link to the audio buddy above.

If it does the same thing, then it would seem the mixer would be the better way to go with more control.

CyberStrat
    Last edited by CyberStrat; 10-13-2005 at 04:29 AM.