Thread: capos

capos

ya' know, it's funny. i've kept a capo in my case for years, and rarely if ever used it. no particular reason, not like i've got anything against them. but in the last six months i've wound up using it on at least five different tunes. weird, huh?
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Re: capos

I have one too and try not to use it as much as possible! I hate those things. If I could just clamp it on and not have the guitar go out of tune I would dig it. But that's just not the reality of the situation. I have had some very good capos too.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

i've had one in my case for the past 10 years, and didn't start using one til about 3 years ago. i wasted a lot of time not using it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I've been using one lots lately, but I've had it for years without using it much. I don't experience any tuning problems with it (well maybe some **minor** problems)

If ya gonna fit one,fit it high.

I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Nazz Are Blue
    I've been using one lots lately, but I've had it for years without using it much. I don't experience any tuning problems with it (well maybe some **minor** problems)
    Using some chord voicings where you need the open string sound?

I've only used mine for doing setups (to eliminate the nut height), cant figure where I'd ever use one playing.

I use one infrequently, mainly on acoustic, just to match the voicings of the originals. Shubbs are best for staying in tune, and on electrics, since you can adjust the tension, but Kysers are great for acoustic performance, for easy use and stowage.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I find a capo indispensible... every time I take the neck off of a Fender guitar. I loosen up the strings and then put the capo at the 2nd fret and that holds the strings in place while I remove the pickguard and work under the hood. I started doing this on slotted Klusons but it works well on any tuners.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

I use them all the time, for various reasons. Like, sometimes I'll be recording, and will want the effect of a high strung guitar, or I'll write a song in E and then play a complementary part in C with the capo at IV. Also, on the worship team, we have some fairly inexperienced vocalists that don't have a tremendous range, so we can quickly change keys on the fly. And then, sometimes, I just like the way the tonality changes when I play using the capo. I can get open strings in keys that normally do not offer open strings.

I rarely have a tuning problem with Kyser capos on my Taylor...but on some other guitars, it was "Houston, we have a problem" everytime I put a capo on.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

i sort of fell into using mine by accident-learned a song in a key i couldn't sing it in, but really liked the voicings of the inversions, so out came the kyser. then i've been doing a lot of bakersfield type country and find open strings to be a really key part of that sound. then my bi-polar bass player wrote a song in d but can't sing it in any key but D#, and i had already worked out a cool little open string lick for the chorus. guess that's what's called a slippery slope.

i don't seem to have any tuning issues with mine, but then, my tele has never had tuning or intonation issues period. i swear you could throw that thing from a moving car and it would still be in tune.
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

i use mine to move a second or third guitar part up the neck and still keep the "open string" sound. works great for me as i try to make at least one of my guitar parts sound like a keyboard part. plus i like the sound of the same chord played in different spots on the guitar. not a big fan of power chords. plus sometimes you can get some cool hammer on/pull offs going against eachother. and they sit better in the mix. no reason to have two guitars playing an open E against eachother, might as well capo at 2 or 4 and get them spread out.

tuning, well i just accept the fact that i'm gonna have to retune when i put it on. no biggy to me.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I use a Kyser on one of my acoustics, and a shubb on the other, I've never used one on electric (but I don't play much electric), I just use barr chords on the electric. I don't particulary like the sound of bar chords on an acoustic (I prefer to have some open strings sounding). There are some times when I use bar chords on and acoustic, when I want to dampen the chords for a rhythm part. The Shubb because of being able to adjust the tension to the minimum needed has the least effect on tuning, but I like the Kyser when I'm taking it on and off a lot becuase you can just clamp it on the headstock when you're not using it.
    Ray

Open G with a capo is cool. Open Dm with a capo is WAY COOL, like the Ice Man above.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

A capo is essential when breaking the two-guitar rule. When I did the acoustic trio thing, one of us would be capo'd on almost every tune. It adds another dimension to the sound and gets you into different registers where you don't step on each other.

As for tuning issues, a capo is like everything else - it takes time and practice to use it with ease. The Shubb I bought is the best capo I've ever used - and I've used everthing but 62 Ford Fairlane fanbelt. Mabybe someday...
    Nothing beats an RC and a MoonPie!

Gravity Jim

Like Rickenjangle, I use mine all the time, mostly on acoustic but sometimes on electric, just to change the sound of the guitar. In fact, I almost never record my jumbo acoustic without one anymore.... that chisled-clean acoustic tone on pop records is easy to achieve with a capo. Even if the tune is in something easy like D, I'll capo at the 5th and play it in A just to "choke" the guitar a bit.

In fact, I use one so much lately that I'm thinking of getting one of...

... these.