Thread: Ummm...what happened to the thread by the guy looking for '68 Tele info?

OK TEle guruS !!!!!

I am building a period correct tele - what do correct components look like on an 68 paisley tele. style of tuner. serial # placement, style of bridge etc. thanks in advance.

jay

Re: OK TEle guruS !!!!!

In '68 there would've been a 6 digit serial without a letter prefix, stamped on the neck plate. They are called the 'F'-series because this is when the F neck plates showed up.

Tuners are F stamped tuners, what most people refer to as '70's tuners'.

The bridge is vintage style, 3 saddle, stamped steel bridge plate. Here's where it gets tricky: Early '68, threaded rod saddles. Late '68, smooth steel saddles with a groove for each string.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Ummm...what happened to the thread by the guy looking for '68 Tele info?

It was here yesterday. Did someone come in and cause problems?

Re: Ummm...what happened to the thread by the guy looking for '68 Tele info?

Yeah - weres my thread?????

Forum Member

Was it a paisley Tele that was being restored? Thread seems to have disappeared.

yup

That's the one.

TFF Stage Crew

No idea. Let me check.

BTW. Can't stress this enough. Posting a thread about a missing thread is FAR LESS preferable than just emailing a mod about it. Okay? But I'll leave this one here a moment and see what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    No idea. Let me check.

BTW. Can't stress this enough. Posting a thread about a missing thread is FAR LESS preferable than just emailing a mod about it. Okay? But I'll leave this one here a moment and see what I can see.

Well, it was mostly out of interest. I figured with the party crashers coming in, the thread may have been assaulted. I'd only email a mod about my own thread. I hate emailing mods, I figure you guys have enough crap to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    I hate emailing mods, I figure you guys have enough crap to deal with.
    Yeah, like dealing with public inquiries about where a particular thread has gone . :lol :rofl
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Yeah, like dealing with public inquiries about where a particular thread has gone . :lol :rofl

Well, I thought one of the regulars may be able to answer my question. :nick

TFF Stage Crew

Nah, never enough crap. :) Seriously, feel free to email.

Sorry--I found that thread and now I remember. Asking questions about building a relic that is period-accurate was of course fine, and even where the serial number should be.

Asking questions about what the original serial number range should be...

Well, that starts to sound very bad. Building a period-correct guitar for looks (and/or sound) is a great endeavor, but why would you need to have a period correct serial number in a place nobody would look unless you then try to sell it off as an original?

Now--I'm not suggesting that 1charger69 has any evil intent, just suggesting that asking a question like that is bad, bad, bad. I'm sure he's just trying to build the most accurate replica he can, just like people who build model airplanes want to have every last detail correct.

The reality though is that nobody has ever sold a model F-15 on Ebay pretending it to be the real thing. Probably.

It's the same reason we generally delete threads that ask how do buy or design an accurate company-specific decal. It's just dangerous waters for TFF.

Hope that helps.

And here is the answer to your question-- I am shelling out $2000 for Brad Paisleys guitar maker Bill Crook to build me one - guitars of that period had "F" plates with serial #s - since my guitar NEEDS a serial # and I AM building a PERIOD CORRECT guitar this is what its going to be. why do i want the range?? because if is possible i want to use my birthday or my sons birthday--a # special to me thats going to fit in the range. Not trying to put the fucks to anyone--this ones a keeper! also what kind of bridge? saddles etc? is the neck thin?

TFF Stage Crew

Excellent--that's very cool. You should have no problem then, as Crook should know those numbers by heart. And if not, I'm sure he has the Tele Bible (aka, Duchossier's book) to let he and you know for sure. :yay

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im sorry i thought this was the "FENDER FORUM" a place where you could go to give and share information with others who enjoy the hobby - i guess i was wrong. for all of those who DO enjoy the board for the right reasons--great --My appologies. for those of you finger pointers who think everyones out to score a quick buck on someone, else therefore refuse to help out F_CK - _FF --- Go buy a vowel!

Uh Oh!
    (he said slowly ducking his head)
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by 1charger69
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im sorry i thought this was the "FENDER FORUM" a place where you could go to give and share information with others who enjoy the hobby - i guess i was wrong. for all of those who DO enjoy the board for the right reasons--great --My appologies. for those of you finger pointers who think everyones out to score a quick buck on someone, else therefore refuse to help out F_CK - _FF --- Go buy a vowel!

Um, huh?

Wow. I was just trying to explain that I personally do not know the info on the SNs you ask for, but I know for a fact they are in the Duchossier book about Telecasters. I also figured that Mr. Crook, who knows more about Telecasters than most people on earth, might know them by heart. But probably, I surmised, nobody here will know that question off the top of their heads, unless they too consult the Duchossier book.

I'm sorry if you found that unhelpful. I never said anything about others not being able to chime in to answer the extra questions you tacked on at the end, nor did I lock this thread, nor did I delete it.

What's the problem?

Man, there's been an influx of teste people recently.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

like i said my appologies to any member who this does not apply - i dont like to step on toes nor do i like mine cruched either. its a shame that the word TRUSTWORTHY dosent mean what it did 25 years ago or the fact that a handshake or a mans word just dosent cut anymore either. i guess it will just take a little longer to earn the trust of some than others :ahem

All I'm going to say is that everyone who comes to this forum has our respect. Some however, choose to lose it.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Hmm!

That's a bit strong charger.

I understand your intentions with the design of your guitar,but I'm sure you appreciate that the mods have to avoid any possible legal repercussions.
    Not that I'm suggesting that's YOUR intention,but there's many an unscrupulous character out there,and let's face it,nobody enjoys being ripped off,and TFF mods obviously can't be seen to condone such actions.
    Sometimes the intonation of the written word can be misunderstood ya know,and it seems like that may just have happened here.
    Anyway,grab a brew,move on, and Welcome aboard the good ship TFF
    I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was

here here! - cheers

here here! - cheers
    To you too Charger.

Look Out! there's some good guys here when you need 'em,even when life seems to rip your heart out.
    I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was

OK now that we have the serial ## issue squared away - What kind of neck should i be looking for? i.e thinline style, neck shape etc? A friend of mine has a tele which has (and he says is) a 68 reissue neck --its real thin - almost Ibanez-like. feels real nice. is this a thinline style? THX

bump

Most of the reissue '69 Thinline necks that I've played have been somewhere between a "C" and "U" shape. Sometimes a tad narrow at the nut, but I wouldn't describe them as "thin" or "Ibanez-like".

The few real '69s that I've played have been similar, but a bit heftier.
    "Go Team Venture!"

yes - i see what you're saying - thanks

Strange, my post about where the first post went has gotten more posts than the original post.

And even after charger threw a tantrum.

No, I'm not goading you, I'm just abrasive by nature.

What sucks is I took the time to look up ALL of your questions and answer them, then it disappeared. Some of my best work ever... :wah
    Last edited by telecast; 10-21-2005 at 07:32 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

I can rectify that. There's a command where I can merge two threads.

Give me a minute. :yay

TFF Stage Crew

Okay, it's done. Telecast's original reply to the original post is above, and now the original first post itself is intact.

We have done entirely too much work on this thread, so if anyone else screws it up I'll have to choke a bitch.

Just kidding of course. I hope it has plenty to offer everyone who is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    We have done entirely too much work on this thread, so if anyone else screws it up I'll have to choke a bitch.
    Sounds like something a plastic surgeon would say.

...except replace "thread" with "face"

Atta boy PC. Ya know, I think this is the very first time on any of the forums I frequent that I have ever seen a mod restore something that they had pulled.

That says a lot about you as a person. :yay

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks Telecast. It is actually missing a few posts from its original version, but all the good stuff is up there. Pulling threads with good info (especially about Telecasters ) is never what any of us want to do, so I'm happy to salvage what I can if things go south.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Man, there's been an influx of teste people recently.
    And I kept out of it this time...

Anyone for a beer?

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

Quote Originally Posted by seagate
    Anyone for a beer?
    Got one right now. Just winding down from a successful gig out in the sticks. Small, but appriciative crowd. Bar comped our [small] bar tab, and gave us an extra 25%. Our best performance to date. At one point, we had over half of the bar dancing. Not bad for a band that doesn't do a lot of dance music.

MAN, I love playing.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Got one right now. Just winding down from a successful gig out in the sticks. Small, but appriciative crowd. Bar comped our [small] bar tab, and gave us an extra 25%. Our best performance to date. At one point, we had over half of the bar dancing. Not bad for a band that doesn't do a lot of dance music.

MAN, I love playing.
    Cool, wish I was in a band...

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

OK now that we have the serial ## issue squared away - What kind of neck should i be looking for? i.e thinline style, neck shape etc? A friend of mine has a tele which has (and he says is) a 68 reissue neck --its real thin - almost Ibanez-like. feels real nice. is this a thinline style? THX
    Neck Width.
    From March 1962 to 1969, Fender marked their necks with an "official" neck width letter at the butt of the neck (in front of the date code). The "B" neck width is the normal width, as used on about 99% of all Fenders from this period. All other sizes were available by special order only. Also all pre-1962 Fender necks have a 1 5/8" nut width (though I'm sure there are some exceptions, but none I have seen).

A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.
    B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).
    C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
    D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.

....my '68 has a "C" neck with maple board....very slick playability

....I'm not sure about posting actual serial #'s so I'll just give you a very good link and you can look it up yourself

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

Serial # info is near the bottom of the page................Good Luck with your Tele
    Fast doesn't always mean good

thanks 68tele for your generosity -i found the fender link very helpful - Bill Crook took took the measurements from Brads neck for a true 68 spec. thanks again :ahem