Thread: raising PUPs on a Jag

Forum Member

raising PUPs on a Jag

Hi everyone, I have a 65 Jaguar and the bridge pickup sounds a bit thin, I know it IS a Jag but I thought if I raised the pup it would have some more power. I tried the screws on the top and bottom but they didn't do anything. Is this possible? Do I need to pop off the pickgaurd or something?

Thanks

Forum Member

Re: raising PUPs on a Jag

Eire122, I'm new to register here also[been lurking quite some time]. Two things come to mind immediately. The Jaguar pups mount to the body ,unlike a Strat, they have foam pads under them to act as springs, when the foam deteriorates it no longer pushes the pups upward. Also, if yours is like mine the pups may be binding in the pickguard, you may have pull them up by hand after loosening the screws. Good luck, DDK.

Re: raising PUPs on a Jag

DDK65JAG has probably nailed it for you. I had the same problem with my Jazzmaster. You might also want to check the pickguard. Sometimes the old guards shrink and tighten around the pickups so that they won't adjust up or down. Just grab ahold of them and you should be able to get the pickup to move. If that fails you may need to remove the pickguard and replace the foam under the pickups and slightly enlarge the holes in the pickguard for the pickups.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.