Thread: POD XT Live or Boss GT-8

POD XT Live or Boss GT-8

I have decided to break down and get one of these. I will be mainly using it for live sound. Does anyone have any experience with these and insights into the pro's or cons of them. Do you prefer one over the other , if so why?

Thanks for the input!

Re: POD XT Live or Boss GT-8

Welcome to the forum Nigel Tufnel!!

My only input would be that I personally do not like multi effects units in a live situation. I have seen people use them, and I have used a pod and boss (don't know the models) and found that they did not cut through well and were too processed sounding.

I have hear other people use them effectively though....
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

In my opinion, POD XTL and GT-8 are not classic Multi effects (as e.g. Rocktron Intellifex), and must seen more as Amp Simulators, that's the main point. I use POD XTL exclusively live and am very satisfied. Very confident, very professional, very reliable. Used to use Marshalls, Hughes & Kettner ZenTera, and other amps before (for almost 20 years long...). As years passed by, I didn't like to carry so many pounds anymore. After purchasing and checking many Amp simulators (like Roland VG-88, Behringer's Vamp, Rocktron's Replitone MP, etc.). POD XTL is far away ahead in Guitar sounds, not ony in quality, but mainly in dynamics retaining (very imprtant when you play without a traditional amp/box, but straight through a P.A.). I've also heard GT-8 recently by a buddy who has it. It's a new generation of Roland's Amp simulator, and probably the marketing "answer" to POD XTL. To my ears it's fair, but not as POD XTL. "Try yourself", is the proposal. If you know how to nail sounds, there will be no problem, regardless the music style you like. Last not least, the XTL has the opportunity to drive Line6 Variax guitar (I already have one), which expands the possibilities of this device.

Ive been using a pedalpad board with 11 pedals on it through a POD 2.0 (mainly for modeling) and then into a DLX Rev RI for the past 5 yrs or so. I tried the POD through a PA a few years ago and it sounded very sterile. I'm sure that they have made sound improvements to XTL. It would be nice not to have to use an amp if I wanted to leave it at home. Also I may want to try running it through the PA and to an amp simultaniously if thats a possibility. Does the POD XTL have a footswith for lead sounds that can be programmed? I know the GT-6 has this form what I've read..

The POD XTL has absolutely nothing in common with the old POD in sounds and handling. It's the second generation of Line6 Modelling technology. Only the company name and the word "pod" are common... In that manner: hearing is believing... The best way is to go to a music store and A/B-compare both devices, side by side, and with your own axe(s) of course...
    Concerning the lead switch: Stage experience shows that, in many cases, a lead sound is not simply a "boosted" rhythm sound: You may need a little delay here, a little mod there, less treble, etc. That's why, in many cases, I use an entire new preset as a lead sound on POD XTL (example on a certain bank A: rhythm cln, B: Lead drive, C: Rhythm drive, D: Crunch). Then, with a "flip of a switch" (on B, in the example above), I can reach from ANY rhythm sound a good lead one. And that's not simply a boosted lead sound, but also a tailored one. Also with a further, simple switch treat I can go back to any rhythm sound. Both devices have enough memory locations for that purpose.
    Now, if you still like to retain ONE memory location for both, rhythm and lead, Roland VG-88 has indeed the opportunity (and also GT-8 - its a common Roland/Boss option) to boost a few dB your rhythm sound with a switch, and then to play lead. Although, the best way (that I discovered already in my VG-88 years) is to enhance the lead level with the Expression pedal, and not via a switch. The reason is obvious: A switch enhances a sound preset always on a fixed dB level. That might be painful in some live situations, depending on the whole band dynamic and the relevant playing song. That's why I started setting my lead levels on the VG-88 via the exp-pedal. This option is much better, because now I can set the lead level depending on the situation.. The same is possible also on POD XTL, and I use the option in almost all my sound-presets, apart from the dedicated lead ones. If someone insists to improve the lead level with a switch on XTL, there is the possibility to set the amp/compressor footswitch on "comp" mode and then to set the compressor simply as booster (threshold=0, gain= x dB). I apply this option in sounds where I need the XTL expression pedal to mix e.g. a delay level or a modulation depth. But it's just a compromise. The best option is to set the expression pedal a volume booster. The XTL (and I think also the GT-8) give the opportunity to connect further Expr. pedals for such purposes.