Thread: Why are teles so expensive?

Forum Member

Why are teles so expensive?

I'd love to own one but can't understand why they're as much as a stratocaster, especially since a strat is superior to the tele. Why is this? Thanks

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

A strat is superior to the tele????:rofl

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Greg
    Last edited by Fendercrazy; 11-27-2002 at 01:44 PM.

WOOF!
    He's hot! He's hip! and he's hairy!

Forum Member
    Hey Fluffy? I've learned that it's pretty hard to put TOO much thought into something before I say it. Do you realize you just came into the core of Tele-lovers and inadvertently said that we're all stupid? IF Tele's were objectively inferior, only a fool would choose them over a Strat. SINCE they're not, the fool here is you who confuses opinions for fact.

I understand where you're coming from though. You like Strats better and hey...they have two cutaways and the added feature of a trem. Of course, the case could be made that they take away the mass and styling that made a guitar great.

To better answer your question, I'd have to ask which Teles and Strats you were comparing. But as a general principle, wholesale cost on the physical pieces of a Strat vs. a Tele are maybe 10-20 bucks...and probably less if you're Fender and deal is such volume. The real issue on cost is the assembly quality and the time that takes, which is usually about the same.

Forum Member
    Ouch! Sorry about that. I stand corrected. For some reason I was under the assumption that the tele is lesser guitar than the strat, like a copy strat is to the real thing.
    It is a great sounding guitar, I love it. I just wish it wasn't so generic-looking, with the rudimentary headstock and all. Is it considered to be a "chick" guitar? I see lots of them playing the tele. Thanks

Maybe the inference was that Fender originally introduced the
    strat as a higher end and more expensive guitar than the tele so I don't think anybodys trying to diss your choice of guitar.
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member
    Thanks for that Jim! I knew there was a good reason for my feeling. I really want to get one with a rather masculine color as to cover up any femininity the guitar suggests. Cobalt blue is a really awesome one, as well as metallic purple. Thanks again

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:33 AM.

Forum Member
    not everybody can burn on the guitar, liquidstrat. some folks, even famous front men and woman, just do that slow simmer. it was a valiant effort by you to try and diffuse the fluffykitty statement, though you're still not gonna get (her?) number.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:32 AM.

Forum Member
    I think if you look around and be patient you can get a nice used tele for a great price. I`d wait till after the holidays when sales are slow and bargains are better. Thats what I do.

TFF Stage Crew
    Moderators and others, beware of ole' fluffy kitty. AKA "Furry Kitty," AKA "Chinchilla," and it goes on.

FK has a fun time on other forums trying to start fights and playing games with "feminine" and "masculine" topics.

The classic definition of Troll, FK has been banned from other forums I visit MULTIPLE times.

FK--seriously dude/dudette, find another hobby. I'm asking nicely.

Sounds like Jack's radar picked up a Boggie...therefore, no comment.
    Hopeless modaholic...

Forum Member
    Thanks Sneaky, Perhaps its best to wait until after the holidays. Thanks for that.

Forum Member
    Jack. Sounds like you're being a tad paranoid. Chinchilla? There's only one fluffykitty unless someone's posing as me. Go eat your turkey before it gets cold!

Forum Member
    Fluffy, it's hard for many here not to back Jack. What kind of fluffy kitty wants to shun femininity? If there's an answer, give it. But you have to understand that you hardly smell of Eau de Genuine (the name similarity doesn't help you, fair or not).

Regarding Teles, they're classic in their looks and tone...which is why men and women like them. Strats can be really cool, too...but too many 80's, matching-headstock, strung-with-8's shredders wrecked it from being as totally timeless as the Tele. The guitar isn't inferior. You wouldn't call Shaker-design furniture inferior to a Lazy-Boy or a '57 Chevy inferior to a PT Cruiser. There's just a different vibe to them and the Tele's vibe is relatively unadultered (except for the double-bound Giddy'up country thing in the 60's). Substitute your understanding of them as "generic" and "rudimentary" to "classic" and "timeless". It was made by guys for guys; it's never been a "chick" guitar. Any woman playing them is doing so to emulate guys with good taste. Think of it as a woman wearing a man's suit, white dress shirt, and bold-stripe tie (a la Striptease). When done right, it can be incredibly sexy, but it's still a guy thing.
    Last edited by kottkewannabe; 11-27-2002 at 11:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Also fluffy, go read the "Favorite Tele Players" thread. I've scrolled through it quite a bit and I don't see a single woman mentioned. Don't just take the point I'm making; actually read it because it will help you better understand the association the guitar has in the music world.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:31 AM.

Forum Member

Is it considered to be a "chick" guitar? I see lots of them playing the tele.

Howdy FK and ALL!

Well, look at the headstock shape, and the nice fat meaty long length of the Tele neck. You feel chicks like running their hands up and down that length? Maybe you should ask the next chick you see playing a Tele and ask her. I apologize to drag this thread into that shadowy corner of my mind...................(visions of the Ohio carver's creations popped into my mind).

Supposedly each incarnation of 50's and early 60's Fenders were supposed to be a refinement or an improvement. Tele to Strat to Jazz's & Jags. Well, were they? In some minds they were (Leo's comes to mind here). Many feel they weren't.

Depending on what you are after, you'll eventually find what you are looking for if you're persistent and patient. If you want cheap, then look at Squier Teles or MIM Teles. Great deal, require your own tweaks for better set-up and need to be checked over thoroughly to be sure you don't get a lemon. Next up would be Am-Series all the way to Custom Shop (and there's variations within these guitars for sure). These will include production line to Limited Editions. Between the MIM's and AM's you have the MIJ's. Pricepoints to satisfy nearly every budget and if you consider USED you open up your options even further.

Expensive? Nahhhhh, not really. Depending on what you are looking for.

Someone from Fender once posted that Strats outsell Teles by something like 2 to 1 or better. That lets Fender spread any model specific costs(tooling, etc.) over more guitars and probably balances out the extra cost of the whammy.

Supposedly newer Fender top-of-the line models got better, but players didn't always agree. The Jaguar was supposed to be better than a Strat, but few hard core rockers would agree with that. A lot of country pickers stuck with Teles right thru.

As for the m/f thang, notice that A: Teles have virtually no plastic parts(think Harley vs. ___ or '57 Chevy vs ___) B: How many pink Teles do you see ;) ;) :) and C: Who cares anyways - I'd love to jam with Chrissie :) :) :)

TFF Stage Crew
    Mmkay Fluff, I'll go enjoy some turkey.

Just remember I asked nicely the first time. The other forum site I refer to is a much more user-UNfriendly place (IMHO) than this forum is, so I never bothered to respond to your gay-baiting/gay-bashing posts over there. And they'd get DOB'd so quick there that it would have been tough to anyway.

Just be advised--this forum is a different place, and also a place I personally really care about. There's a great bunch of people here whom I think will see through you pretty quickly. They'd only have to do a search on your username to see the other posts you've made here at TFF. Hmmm, awfully similar.

K, I've spoken my piece, so peace. To the rest of my TFF brothers and sisters, happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

Forum Member
    Kott-- Thanks for the insight!

TELEPHILE-- lmao! I never considered the woman player's hand going up and down the shaft. Makes sense to me now.

Teleologist- Thanks to you too!

Jack- I'm as innocent as a fluffykitty!

Forum Member
    jack,
    i knew (she?) was a scam. thanks.
    hey liquid,
    you don't know d*%k about the pretenders. you probably weren't even born yet when they broke out. but thats neither here or there. what you said was- if you want to be a poser, use a tele to hide behind. get your story straight. don't tell us how to play or who to listen to by virtue of the axe we play. it doesn't work like that.
    frank

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:30 AM.

Forum Member
    liquid,
    i stand corrected
    frank

Good Job Jack, I know exactly what you are talking about (as to the other forum) seems like fluffy kitty likes to cut and paste.
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

TFF Stage Crew
    Thanks Bluesgtr20.

I'm just lookin' out so this forum doesn't turn into kitty's litterbox.

:tw59

I feel the same way brother, its actually not funny and getting very old. I am sure he will try to come back and say he really gives a shit about a Tele. Ahhh to be 12 again oh well.
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

Forum Member
    HE? Fluffykitty's got balls?

Is a hammer superior to a screw driver? Different tools for different jobs. Try checking out the classifieds section as well as combing through ebay regularly, you will find a deal sooner or later. Tele's rock! Just check out the picture at the bottom of the 'Page' if you need proof :)

TFF Stage Crew
    Good lookin' out Spose. Thanks!

Although, it looks like poor kitty didn't get the rise she wanted--just as I hoped and predicted. TFF members are some smart cookies, which is why I'm proud to hang out here.

Forum Member
    Jack's right. FK has done the same thing on other forums.

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Jack w/his radar

Although, it looks like poor kitty didn't get the rise she wanted--just as I hoped and predicted. TFF members are some smart cookies, which is why I'm proud to hang out here.
    Jack,

I am proud of the way you guys handled this situation. There was really no need for a moderator to jump in because you guys were answering the questions fluffy submitted in a genuine and professional manner.

If we act in a mature fashion to these types of threads there is no need for mod intervention. If we let a poster stir the water then the poster/troll actually wins since they get what they want, a rise out of the members.

It is no fun for someone who wants to stir the pot to find that the others don't want to be a part of it. That causes these types of personalities to leave and go somewhere else where they can cause a problem and get the reaction they want.

Thanks for all your professionalism folks. This forum rocks.

Tim C. :)

Forum Member
    I was also under the impression that Tele's were like 10-20% cheaper than Strats, but I just looked up current prices at Sam Ash and both sell at $799 for the Standard American Series. And once your start looking at special models, comparing prices doesn't make any sense.

Female guitar? Oh, that's what makes Bruce Springsteen look so much like a woman. His guitar.

I do, however, agree that the Tele does not look very good. But like someone else said, an ugly guitar like that must have something special since it has survived for 50 years.

Got my first Tele this Spring, and I tend to think it is the best player I own (also have two Strats and a LP).

Does not look very good....... Does Not Look Very Good...... :rr DOES NOT LOOK VERY GOOD??????????? :ax PUT ON YOUR GLASSES
    DAMN. I wish I could remember where I put them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a 52RI this weekend. If you had said to me even 3 months ago that I would own a Tele, I would have asked you to put down the crack pipe. Who would want one of those old ugly beasts.

Well, other than my PRS, this Tele plays better than my other guitars by far. (right out of the box) It needed no set up at all. Just plugged it in and let it rip. The neck was a bit sticky at first but thats gone now.

I LOVE THIS GUITAR.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Hey Brian, did'nt you know...the lure of Tele is strong. You cannot resist, it's futile. hehe. Think of it this way. You're stranded on Fender Island. Miss Strat aka Ginger, and Miss Tele aka Mary Ann. Both have their own appeal and qualities. Tough choice...so get 'em both!
    Hopeless modaholic...

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Originally posted by butnut
    Think of it this way. You're stranded on Fender Island. Miss Strat aka Ginger, and Miss Tele aka Mary Ann. Both have their own appeal and qualities. Tough choice...so get 'em both!
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! That's the best way I've ever heard it explained!

Greg

I guess I have to shoot a new Avatar.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!