Thread: ...and another can o' worms

TFF Stage Crew

...and another can o' worms

OK, who's making the best vintage-style replacement Strat bodies?
    The specs:
    Alder (1 or 2 piece)
    unfinished
    60's dimensions
    deep contours
    no "extra" holes or routes

Warmoth makes a good one, but the horns aren't quite right. USACG also makes them, but the fore arm contour is different. They can change that, but that's more $. I need to know if anyone has actually eyeballed an aftermarket body w/an original one & come up with a winner. I can't afford a Custom Shop or another vintage guitar, so I'm trying to assemble some replicas.

Registered
    I don't know how accurate his bodies are, but they might be worth checking into:
    http://www.greggrogersguitars.com

Hi there,

have you checked www.rockinger.com ?
    The Spare Bodies they sell are ussually high in quality and available already painted, raw and as a wood blank ;-)

cu
    bluesfreak :smokin

Forum Member
    Hey...there's this really great company that makes awesome stuff and they're called...oh wait. Hey 71818, how's it going? I guess if Tommy can't help you (I always thought their contours were deeper than Warmoth's), you might want to try Callaham http://www.callahamguitars.com. And regardless of his guitars, his bridge and other hardware seems to be the best vintage replica choice. I promise not to rant on this one, but if you read up on his products and what others have to say about him, he seems to be pretty discriminating. Have a great one!

TFF Stage Crew
    Gregg Rogers is about two hours north. If I can't go up there, I'm going to check out his stuff at the next show in the area. I haven't ruled out Tommy at USA, but I thought I would see what I could find "off the shelf" first before I pay more for the programming it would require. Callaham won't sell bodies & necks seperately, according to their website. And Rockinger... well, this is all I got from them through my spellcheck translator:
    Die von urns angel boatmen Bodies sand moist abs Earle odor Swamp Ash, in engine Fallen amber ouch as Mahogany odor Korean gofer tight. In Sachem Jewish von skewer bus leech gilt UN gefähr forged Rehire forge: Mahogany, Earle, Swamp Ash, Korean. Weber such die dried Lentz gunman net in enema relative linen Breech between, das ken also ouch shone mal variorum. In Sac hen Sound associate itch personality falseness:lolspin

TFF Stage Crew

Babelfish:

62's Strat ® Style: The rear a roundness for the belly sets for instance at the center of the upper horn and ends approx. to 3cm behind the Tremolofraesung. The chamfer for the lower arm begins at height of the Tremolofraesung (narrow side) and pulls themselves down up to the lower end of the Tremolofraesung. Altogether result an aesthetics and a graceful designedness, which one hardly still finds nowadays. Available in " 2-Tone Sunburst ", " 3-Tone-Sunburst ", " Fiesta talk ", " Surf Green " and " Vintage White ".
    Last edited by Cogs; 11-27-2002 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member

contour differences

I haven't been to USACG...I'm in Minneapolis. I was wondering if you might talk about the differences between what Tommy's got as standard and what you're looking for. The super-specifics of the contour differences isn't something I'm as educated on as I'd like to be. Could you indulge me with as much detail as possible? I'd really appreciate it.

By the way, I saw Kottke last night...sweet, sweet, sweet.

TFF Stage Crew

contours

The back contours are pretty much dead on. The front contours are different & are at such an angle as to make alteration an impossibility. Here's an approximation of the front contour differences:
    Pre-CBS Strat contour:................................USACG contour:

Tommy has already said they can make me what I want, but I have to confess I'm cheap!

Forum Member

I appreciate the help...more please.

CBS/Pre-CBS is '64, right? My understanding (as limited or incorrect as it may be) is that USACG's contour is after a '54 Strat and it sounds like your early 60's contour (early, right?) is still different. Is this somehow the case...that there are two distinctly different Pre-CBS contours?

Also, is there a comprehensive history somewhere online that I can nail this whole thing down?

Thanks again for the help.

TFF Stage Crew
    I don't know of any site on the net that has a comparison of the contours over the years, & I've never seen a '54 with that kind of front contour (but that doesn't mean they don't exist). The first edition of A.R. Duchessoir's Strat book had a comparison picture, but I don't have that one any more.
    Here's a photo from the USACG site. You can see the front cut pretty good:

Here's my '59. You can see the slope of the front contour in the reflection of light off the top:
    Last edited by Cogs; 12-03-2002 at 09:51 PM.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Who is Rogers?

Also, specifying the weight (of the body, I'm assuming) is something done on a daily basis at USACG. It's not just a special little perk IF you're lucky, it's really just part of the purchasing process with them.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:29 AM.

Forum Member
    I was just addressing the "possibly" part. Also, regarding a sub-4lb. piece of ash. Is this for a Strat or a Tele? And...is this something you're in an active search for?

TFF Stage Crew
    Gregg is up in Sedro Woolley. He usually has a table at the shows around here. I never looked real hard at his stuff because of the relic job he does on them. Some like it, but I don't care for it. I saw on his website that he makes unfinished bodies, too, but I haven't had the time to get in touch with him (the holidays & all).
    Last edited by Cogs; 12-04-2002 at 02:17 AM.

Here is the weight and contouring you should specify.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:28 AM.

TFF Stage Crew
    Hard to tell from straight on, but that looks right (but it's naked!).

Forum Member
    Originally posted by LiquidStrat

It's a swimming pool route right? Okay, but 4.5 with the neck?
    I've heard of these. but folks this is one in a gazzilion? Thanks Tonefiend - wow! Lets put this in the museum. OR....

How does it look now?
    Like this......
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...119&uid=517771
    Last edited by Gazza; 12-04-2002 at 11:47 AM.

4 lbs 4.8 oz with the neck, neck plate, 2 screws, and the bridge plate. Standard '60s route and no monkey business.
    The neck weighs around 1 lb at this point. 455 grams.
    It is not uncommon for a strat body to dip below 3 lbs.

Thats called having connections, and hours of back breaking labor digging through lifts of lumber!

Forum Member
    Scott and fiend: Why did you treat Gazza so much better than me! ;) Makes me want to unload my Lentz Boat anchors! :nelson

Of course I'm kidding.

Hardtail STrats are usually at least 1 lb lighter than tremelo models. The tremelo block itself is 1/2 lb and the rest of the trem metal parts is the other 1/2 lb pickups also add weight as do tuners. But 4.5 for a hardtail and neck is still super light.

Good job Scott and tonefiend.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Marcondo
    Hardtail STrats are usually at least 1 lb lighter than tremelo models. The tremelo block itself is 1/2 lb and the rest of the trem metal parts is the other 1/2 lb pickups also add weight as do tuners. But 4.5 for a hardtail and neck is still super light.

I think you should commend Mother Nature as Scott had nothing to do with that wood being so light! ;) All Scott did was find it and use it. How hard is that!? :tw59 :nelson

j/k
    Last edited by GeetarGoul; 12-04-2002 at 01:37 PM.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:27 AM.

Originally posted by Marcondo

Do not forget there is a huge chunk of wood that is not routed out for a trem. THe wood is where the weight matters not the hardware and electronics. The hard tail strat is voiced ike a tele. If thought of as a strat it is the wrong approach.

Chuck Scott pulled out all the stops selecting wood for the hard tail I think he had somthing to proove! Although I do feel bad Daves guitar might be a few oz lighter. You can send it back and I'll play it for you! :)
    Oh yeah and you are invited on the next wood excursion. You can have my place on the other end of the board as we sort through thousands of board feet of lumber!
    Bring somthing cold to drink, and good leather gloves!!
    ;)

Forum Member
    Ian, already got some freaky swamp ash. ;) I do want to go with you guys to learn more though. You guys can use me for heavy lifting.

Scott has already taught me a lot but more knowledge is good.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by GeetarGoul
    You guys can use me for heavy lifting.

Chuck, I know you coined the term "I'm not real smart but I can lift heavy things".

Forum Member
    I'm dumb cause my pa is dumb. He's dumb cause his pa was dumber and so on.

Forum Member
    Did anybody see the Animal House tie-in? The Faber College motto was "Knowledge is Good". Dean Wormer?...Anyone? Oh well...I'm laughing enough for all of you.

TFF Stage Crew
    So how much does Scott charge for a Strat body (w/a trem route)?

He doesn't sell his bodies, or pickups seperatly. And only necks for a special circumstance like a vintage replacement.