Thread: J-Station settings revisited

Forum Member

J-Station settings revisited

I just read the bedroom recording thread. I didn't want to hijack that thread, but noticed Photoweborama uses the J-Station. I know a few others do too, I think Fezz might.

What settings do you guys use to get a good sound to record with? Or is that a trade secret? My sound always comes out muddy, and no matter how much I futz with the eq after recording, I can never really get the sound to sparkle. It just has sort of a dead sound.

It may be a combination of things (sound card, quality of recording equipment, or most likely...my lack of genral knowledge). I think if I can get the pre-mastered sound (for lack of better term) quality better, I'd be one step closer to a better sound.

Any hints, thoughts, comments on how to get a really professional sound out of the J-Station? Thanks.

Re: J-Station settings revisited

Well, I'm no pro.. Fezz is, but I like to use a really fast delay combined with reverb to give it a really.. Really... I don't know.. I just like it...

I just use the built in sound card in my IBM ThinkPad laptop. The J-Station goes into a Behringer mixer, but that is just because I have it... Then into the aux port of the laptop.

I just then start turning knobs until it sounds good...To me... that is.....

I don't know if you can use my Jam Zone jams as an example of good J-Station tone...

I'm not sure because I really don't get into the deep stuff you can do with a J-Station. I never use the software anymore, and I just use the basic amp models and the cabinets that go with them. I only mixed one amp/cabinet combo, which is what Fezz helped me with. JCM800 with Bassman cab...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I just turn knobs till it don't suck.
    Sometimes I stop turning them too soon.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

I do what Moon does: just start with a decent basic sound and tweak till I get something I like. Sometimes a patch that doesn't sound too inspiring in a vacuum will sound very good mixed in with a track, and sometimes the opposite is true.

RJ

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

fezz parka

Turn the knobs until it sounds good to you. Some of the "models" are really muddy to begin with. I stick with the blackface and AC30 models. They sound best to me.

A great way to de-mud an already recorded guitar track is to EQ out all of the information below 80hz. That's where the mud starts it's buildup. I shelf EQ everything but drums and bass this way. Your mixes will sound way better if you do this...