Thread: Bedroom Recording

Bedroom Recording

Greetings fellow guitarists
    i have been surfing this forum for a while now, and i have to say what great people are on here (i dont mean to sound like i am sucking up or anything) its just that most other forums i go on, you get a lot of bitchyness.
    I have been listening to the jams that people post on here, and i love the variety of styles, it just makes me want to pick up my guitar and jam evertime i here you guys. All this leads me to a couple of questions.
    i'm sure this has been asked before, i tried a search, but no avail.
    I just need some tips on a few things.
    I have been trying to record some stuff with my guitar onto my computer.....that bits easy....getting it to sound good is not.
    I have an EC sig Strat and a marshall AVT150. The mic i use is a SM58 (i know this a vocal mic, but i thought would be ok for both)
    I have a SBlive Audigy 2 (ZS platinum Pro)
    would i need to amp the mic with a mixer before plugging it in to the external hub of the soundcard, or am i fighting a lost battle?
    also, as i'm using the SM58, where is the best position for the mic?
    last quick question....when you guys post the backing stuff for people to work their wizardy over the top, when you record the guitar lead, how do listen to whats being played and record the guitar at the same time without the mic picking up the backing being played out the speakers?
    I hope this makes sense, i'm a little tired
    Thanks in advance........Steve

Re: Bedroom Recording

I think you will need a mixer. the SM58 is a lowZ mic and I think the computer input is a HighZ.. I could be wrong. I use a mixer because I have it and have never tried it direct.

I use a J-Station, but when I mic, I put the mic about 6 to 8 inches away from the speaker, and I place it off center and at an angle to match the angle of the speaker cone inside.

As far as hearing what you record and the track at the same time, you are going to need headphones...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Re: Bedroom Recording

cool, thanks.
    Just got a mixer from a friend. I'll see if that makes it sound any better.