John Denver

Gordon Lightfoot

James Taylor

The Tubes

I could go on, but there are so many...

Re: Bands That Used To Fill Arenas That Kids Today Never Heard Of

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    Used to be a damn cool station.
    I'm guessing they used to be, but I wasn't around for that. They're pretty much a joke, now. Great community involvement, but their playlist is now less than three dozen songs.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

The Bay City Rollers were a phenomenon for about 60 minutes. They could fill an arena in their day. (Hour)
    "I got murder in my heart for the judge."

You guys are nailing exactly what I wanted the thread to do.....
    it's hard for most of us to imagine that historically bands like ELP,GFR,Black Oak Arkansas,Jethro Tull,Yes,and Uriah Heep (yes,they filled arenas!) aren't recognized by today's kids (alot of them).I asked a student today about Mountain and Uriah Heep and got the blank stare :lol. Got the same result with C,S,N,&Y.

Lots of good non platinum bands mentioned too!

How about-----(forgive any repeats)
    Thin Lizzy
    Doobie Bros.
    The Who
    Badfinger
    Peter Frampton
    Trapeze (more of a huge cult following)
    Bob Seeger
    Climax Blues Band
    Billy Joel
    Linda Ronstadt
    James Taylor

Try some of the artists listed in this thread on anyone between 14 and 19.....it may stun you.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    I'm guessing they used to be, but I wasn't around for that. They're pretty much a joke, now.
    Yeah. By the time I'm describing, it was pretty much over, save for a few exceptions.
    I can't picture a 14-yearold kid getting immersed in 3 hours of free analog Zappa, on a weeknight, pausing a rewinding to edit commercials out.
    The term "Classic Rock" had been coined by then. Enough said.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I can't picture a 14-yearold kid getting immersed in 3 hours of free analog Zappa, on a weeknight, pausing a rewinding to edit commercials out.
    This former 14 year-old would have killed to have radio like that. We did have WQBK-FM when I grew up, which was pretty good, and featured "The Hump Day Unusual Moment" and would play all sorts of stuff.
    orange picks

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Rickenjangle wrote:
    Jonathan Cain replaced Greg Rollie in Journey, and is not an original member, though he was an original member of the band "The Babys" with John Waite on vocals. Cain was instrumental in Journey's rise from stardom to mega-super-household-name stardom
    I love the Baby's! (although they never quite 'filled arenas)
    Actually, Cain didn't show up until the last two Baby's albums ("Union Jacks" and "On the Edge"). The first three studio albums had Michael Corby on keys/guitar...they also had Waite pulling double duty as Bass player/ lead singer.

I actually credit Jonathan Cain with ruining TWO great bands!! :lol
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Stratoblaster 63
    ... Michel Pagliaro, followed by Rush,Followed by Procol Harem with Robin Trower and then the head
    liner Ten Years After. ...
    I really wonder who, beside you Strato and I, knows of Pag, on this forum?
    A great composer with tons of potential to make it south of the border but he didn't.
    I could never understand that. Maybe booze and drugs did it for him?
    There's someone in my head but it's not me.

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone
    I actually credit Jonathan Cain with ruining TWO great bands!! :lol
    Well, if you call "Bad English" a great band, you could call it three.:ahem
    orange picks

Hey Tall Cool One yes Pag is a great performer, too bad you did not make the balloon festival in Sherbrooke when Jonas played because Pag was there played too.Do you remember also when Steve Segal was palying guitar for April Wine ? Steve played guitar for Pag for a while too.He and Jimmy James playing with Nanette Workman.

Quote Originally Posted by thetallcoolone
    Though Carlos is kinda known today, the band Santana is not really.
    The Byrds
    The Band
    The Yardbirds
    Cream (but their "comeback" puts them in the spotlight today)
    My 13yo demoed progress on his "solo" for "Sunshine of Your Love" last night...

Surprisingly, Clapton and Hendrix are actually hot amongst teeenagers today... also Led Zep, Black Sabbath (probably Ozzie's TV show), Deep Purple (as mentioned above)... it astounds me that the kids are going back this far to find stuff to listen to and to play. I think it indicates a _relative_ poverty of musical ideas in the last few decades (which is not to say there haven't been genuinely great artists and performances, just much more diluted by the pervasive mediocrity)... possibly the video and MTV factor became too important...

But I find it very gratifying to see that kids are still as interested in the _music_ as they ever were. And some of these teenage kids can really play! I think I mentioned in another thread how I was blown away by this 16yo kid doing a genuinely wicked "Voodoo Chile" on a Tele and some Fender amp I couldn't identify at a High School "battle of the bands" type thing. Amazing.

-Mark

Forum Member

Critics were pretty tough on Grand Funk, but those guys sold out shows and sold lots of albums. Foghat was basically an offshoot of Savoy Brown minus Kim Simmonds. They did some neat slide stuff, I thought at least. BTO was popular when I was in grammar school, but they never had a mature sound, it was very bubble gum. Like Sweet and Brownsville Station, pure Bazooka Joe. In the early eighties I mentioned to a co-worker that I was going to a Johnny Winter show and he thought I was going to see Jonathan Winters! Where do they grow these people? I wonder if any of today's yutes (Sorry, I meant youths your honor) know who the Noo Yawk Dolls were?

I'm 16 right now, so i somehow feel obligated to say something here in light of what Mark just said there. I've been into the good ol' classics since around 7th grade. Now back then i was pretty much alone in my tastes, but others have caught up since. Seeing how popular music today isn't so incredible, there are plenty of kids getting into Zeppelin and Jimi. I, for one, like to stay ahead of the crowd so by the time my peers began getting into Zeppelin, i knew all that stuff like the back of my hand. In that regard, there are still some bands on this list (like the Stray Cats) that not many young'ns would really know about, but are still friggin' awesome. Theres always one or two kids set you back, though. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ragtweed
    ...of today's yutes (Sorry, I meant youths your honor)...
    :lol

Do you remember also when Steve Segal was palying guitar for April Wine ?
    Steve Segal?

You don't mean... :bam that Steve Segal, do ya'?
    Elvis Costello

Hey Tall Cool One yes Pag is a great performer, too bad you did not make the balloon festival in Sherbrooke when Jonas played because Pag was there played too.Do you remember also when Steve Segal was palying guitar for April Wine ? Steve played guitar for Pag for a while too.He and Jimmy James playing with Nanette Workman.
    Even though I was a fan of April Wine, I never knew who were its members so the name Steve Segal doesn't tell me much.
    Never too late to learn some, right? :)
    I saw Pag a few times with James as his sideman, always a great show to see and hear.
    I still have to see Nanette live though. She always impresses me when I see her on TV. Not surprising for a girl that sang backup for The Rolling Stones and other greats.
    Man, there was good music in Quebec back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    My 13yo demoed progress on his "solo" for "Sunshine of Your Love" last night...

Surprisingly, Clapton and Hendrix are actually hot amongst teeenagers today... also Led Zep, Black Sabbath (probably Ozzie's TV show), Deep Purple (as mentioned above)... it astounds me that the kids are going back this far to find stuff to listen to and to play. I think it indicates a _relative_ poverty of musical ideas in the last few decades (which is not to say there haven't been genuinely great artists and performances, just much more diluted by the pervasive mediocrity)... possibly the video and MTV factor became too important...

But I find it very gratifying to see that kids are still as interested in the _music_ as they ever were. And some of these teenage kids can really play! I think I mentioned in another thread how I was blown away by this 16yo kid doing a genuinely wicked "Voodoo Chile" on a Tele and some Fender amp I couldn't identify at a High School "battle of the bands" type thing. Amazing.

-Mark
    Some time ago, the 15yo daughter of a friend of mine was all over Janis Joplin and Hendrix. Her and her friends discovered the music going thru old records her father had. They all realized that a lot of the modern music they were listening too was simply remakes of great old stuff. Their mind widened a little more then.

There is hope for today's kids after all. :lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Nazz Are Blue
    I'm 16 right now, so i somehow feel obligated to say something here in light of what Mark just said there. I've been into the good ol' classics since around 7th grade. Now back then i was pretty much alone in my tastes, but others have caught up since. Seeing how popular music today isn't so incredible, there are plenty of kids getting into Zeppelin and Jimi. I, for one, like to stay ahead of the crowd so by the time my peers began getting into Zeppelin, i knew all that stuff like the back of my hand. In that regard, there are still some bands on this list (like the Stray Cats) that not many young'ns would really know about, but are still friggin' awesome. Theres always one or two kids set you back, though. ;)
    You're too old for your age buddy! ;) :lol

Steve Segal?

You don't mean... :bam that Steve Segal, do ya'?
    How can you mistake such a great actor for a feable little guitar player?
    By the way, isn't it Steven Segal, this Rambo clone?

Quote Originally Posted by thetallcoolone
    You're too old for your age buddy! ;) :lol
    Oh no... not that!! Anything but that!! :bwa

eff. double post.

Rickenjangle- I think Aynsley(sp?) Dunbar was the original drummer in Journey. Michael Shrieve stuck w/Carlos into the 80's.
    Y'know what? I think you're right about Dunbar. In fact, I know you are, 'cause I checked his website. He's played with a huge list of people.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Crossfyre
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Steve Segal (not the actor) is a well respected musician and a very good friend of mine, he has played with bands like Big City, Pag, european group Niagra and April Wine.Quebec has a LOT of happening guitar players and musicians NOW too !!

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger

In one way it surprises me. That's good. If kids are still listening to good music and not getting caught up in boy bands or shizzle tuned down an octave and a quarter to make it "heavy," that just means kids don't get the credit they deserve and the world is not circling the bowl as quickly as I think it is.

Another way it doesn't surprise me... all of Junior's 13 year old friends are sporting the same haircuts my friends and I wore at 13. Seriously, but minus the pansy high cut gym shorts.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I know this band was bad about the Studio perfection but live sound wasnt bad, Howsa bout

BOSTON

Really big band outta early eighties

JUDAS PRIEST
    Nothing more fun than playing an electrified piece of wood..

Full Disclosure: As a Jr Geezer (40) I have to admit that of the bands we've cited that I'm actually familiar with, I honestly don't miss most of 'em.
    Elvis Costello

Full Disclosure: As a Jr Geezer (40) I have to admit that of the bands we've cited that I'm actually familiar with, I honestly don't miss most of 'em.
    Me neither. I'm 40, too.

Personally, I think Foghat crytallized everything that was bad with early/mid 70's bluz-rawk.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by The Nazz Are Blue
    eff. double post.
    They say memory is the first to go.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    They say memory is the first to go.

Along with hair loss,poor eyesight....

Welcome to the downhill slide.Don't feel bad,I'm ahead of you.I'm 51.
    Women want me
    Fish fear me

"Julius Caesar", but only when "The Christians And Lions" were the support act.
    I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was

I'm a little dry on arena fillers,but....

Slade
    Genesis (mentioned already?)
    Gentle Giant
    Ted Nugent (the Nuge was huge,but kids scratch their heads)
    King Crimson
    Johnny and Edgar Winter
    Cactus
    Todd Rundgren
    Rufus
    Frank Zappa
    Mahogany Rush
    Eagles (SOME don't know...)
    Nazareth
    Rod Stewart

I guess the '80s have been scraped a little.....
    Twisted Sister
    Poison
    Def Leppard
    Extreme
    REO Speedwagon
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

I don't think anybody mentioned them but I am absolutely sure that they head-lined at least 3 stadium/arena tours over a 5 year period in the early '70s and sad to say I don't think anyone knows who they are today....were talking about reaping no fear for the Godzillas of arena rock

Blue Oyster Cult.......

I saw them in Toronto and opening up were Cactus and The Outlaws...pretty riff heavy show
    Fast doesn't always mean good

The Darkness

!

Quote Originally Posted by detuned
    Yes.

The band, not the affirmation. :-)
    One of my favorites
    :yay

Also I'd like to add that I am part of today's youth and I've heard of almost every band that I read on these lists and many are my favorites.
    Sad to say I can't say the same for all the other kids.
    "The finger pointing at the moon is not the moon."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle
    If they were called Ten Years After at Woodstock, shouldn't they be called "48 Years After" by now? :bwa
    Exactly.
    Mate,can you turn that thing down?

Forum Member

No one's mentioned Creedence. In the 60s no one was playin like Mr Fogerty.Keep on Chooglin an the like. Not yer top 40 swill ie, bad moon rising etc but when he played that damn guitar and the harp as well. That got me goin.
    I'm a bitter old coot now and a resource goin to waste. If I see a kid playin guitar today I wanna kick his arse and tell him to get some lessons.
    Mate,can you turn that thing down?

Wings

The Association

Forum Member

Jethro Tull!!! Martin Barre. Scarey-good guitarplayer!!!!:bug
    And wicked Les Paul tones too, but has been known to strapping on Strats in later years.
    Funny how a lot of older, more seasoned players start off playing Gibsons, and then as they become older and more tonally satisfied, end up playing Strats almost exclusively.

CT.:ahem

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone
    Funny how a lot of older, more seasoned players start off playing Gibsons, and then as they become older and more tonally satisfied, end up playing Strats almost exclusively.
    Although there are some that stick with the LP, like Frampton. And Gary Moore had a stratocaster period but now seems to stick with his LP.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."