Thread: Rehearsing with guys who know how to rehearse!

Rehearsing with guys who know how to rehearse!

Last nights rehearsal was awesome. It was with the 8 piece band I sub for.

We knocked out 30 tunes in 2 hours and everyone knew exactly what they were doing.

The CD's were all mailed out, everyone was told to have it ready for the rehearsal. We played about a minute of each tune and only went over the trick parts and mystery chords. The grooves all fell in to place because everyone did their homework and there was no need to play the songs all the way through. A few tunes have "fade out" endings so we worked up the most obvious way to end it on one of the signature riffs in the tune and progress was made like never before!

So, Saturday night I'll be playing a bunch of new tunes I have never played all the way through with the band before and yet, I have total confidence it will come off without a hitch.

I love it when people show up for rehearsal with all their homework done and ready to play. I'm glad I got mine done or I would have really stuck out as a loser! dah!

As far as gear goes. Everything was crap. I brought a Crate GX20M SS amp, the bass player went through an old Univox, the drums were crap and so was the PA. But we walked in, played, and left without taking an hour to set up and get our "precious tone." LOL!

I guess I'm excited about this because until recently I have not had the pleasure of playing with people who were responsible enough to practice at home and play at rehearsal. These guys really know how to rehearse.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

Re: Rehearsing with guys who know how to rehearse!

What, no charts?

TB-
    It's good when the others tcb too!

:)

Ok, I'm going to practice before the next rehearsal.

On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

ok, from measure 32 to the CODA...

TFF Stage Crew

Wait, is the hit on the 'and' of 3 or the 'e' of 3?

LOL! Yeah man! I can't tell you what a pleasure it was. I have spent years working with bands who were very good, but who waited until rehearsal to start learning their parts. It took months to get the song list down! The last band I put together, The Rockaholics, did it in 5 rehearsals. Man! Getting older is so great sometimes! People actually take responsibility for their parts and know from experience that learning at rehearsal sucks for everyone present! woohoo!

doh!

Interesting concept TB!!

"Rehearsal", I'll have to look it up in the dictionary. It kinda sounds like a band practice, but you actually work while together -and at home on your own parts. Wow! It sounds so....... simple!

Does it really work?

Has anyone else tried this?

From Webster.com:

Rehearsal:
    Pronunciation: ri-'h&r-s&l
    Function: noun
    1 : something recounted or told again : RECITAL
    2 a : a private performance or practice session preparatory to a public appearance b : a practice exercise : TRIAL

I'll run this by the guys in the band at our next gig. We have had one practice in 15 gigs. Pathetic!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Even after playing and gigging for 30 years, I'm still learning and having new experiences that are surprizing to me. Of course, when I look at this method of rehearsing now, it seems so strange that it has never been a part of my musical life before. I am a veteran of the tedious, no one does their homework type rehearsal. The type of rehearsal that stalls a band for months before they can go out and gig. I'm not afraid to admit it. And then the new method, like everything else becomes normal.

I like knowing now that a tight, crisp rock band can be formed in a matter of a few rehearsals without skimping on anything. But, I am starting to think that blues bands actually do need more rehearsal than rock bands.

Rock is cool, and as long as everyone sticks to the song "as recorded" the groove is there, all laid out for you. Just cop it and bring it to rehearsal. Blues however, good blues anyway, is entirely dependent on a group's interpretation of the song and the groove. It takes some time for a band to learn to play together and accentuate eachothers strong suits and explore some new grooves on old tunes. It's a vibey, feely thing that, to me, makes the difference between a band slogging out tired old blues tunes verses a group breathing new life into a traditional form of music by showing it the respect and care it deserves. Yup, learning is cool.

I recall that a good, well organized rehearsal for us was when we remembered who the designated "beer bringer" was LOL

Seriously, we had a pretty good work ethic when it came to rehearsals. Everyone had their parts down and run throughs went pretty smoothly. We usually devoted an hour/hour and a half of a four hour block to working out everyone's parts for new material, which was then practiced at home to be integrated into material for possible set lists. One flaw, however, in this wonderful plan: the bloody bass player! Never had the required stuff down....D'oh!

Tenebrae