Thread: rare??

rare??

I have an old fender PA -it consists of a head and 2 - 5 ft speaker cabs. i am picking them up tomorrow from my uncles house - they have the black tolex with i believe grey material on the face - great shape. didnt have much luck researching them - can anyone tell me any thing about these - what they are worth etc..??

they are at least 30 years old

Re: rare??

The '70's Fender PA heads were the PA100 and PA135. Pretty much shaped like a Dual Showman Reverb on steroids, the output section is based on the Twin/Showman amps of the period. Earlier ones are the 100, based on the 100W Twin/Showman and the 135 based on the ultra-linear 135W Twin/Showman.

The preamp is pretty wierd, and low gain. With some tweaking, they could probably make good sounding, but very large guitar heads. I've got one in my basement awaiting such surgery.

They're pretty rare, but not very valuable. Sad as it is, the transformers are probably worth the same amount as the whole amp. I'd guess around $250 tops for a mint PA100, maybe $300 if you've got the cover and chrome reverb footswitch. Probably less.

If it's trashed, Fat Willie/Lord Valve might buy it from you on the cheap. He uses them for test equipment.

The PA100, complete with 'caterer cart.'

The PA135
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks