Thread: Problems setting action on my strat.......

Problems setting action on my strat.......

I just got my new USA Custom Strat put together. The saddles on my Callaham bridge are jacked up really high but I'm only getting a medium action out of it.

Due to the saddle height, the strings are sitting at a very sharp angle which I'm afraid will lead to a lot of string breakage in the future.

What can I do to get the high string height I desire?

Would'nt you use the mico-tilt in this situation. If the guitar is lying flat, you want the head to raise more toward the ceiling. This would then increase your string height without having the saddles go even higher. I have never had to change the neck angle on mine but the description I have given you is almost word for word from Mr. Gearhead on the Fender website.

I'm sure many of our experts will chime in soon.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Thanks for the reply brian. I don't have any micro tilt adjustment though.

Let me clarify that this a guitar built with parts from USA Custom Guitars its not from Fender.

In that case it sounds like you need a shim in the neck pocket. This would ultimately need to be a wedge-shaped sliver of wood with the fat end toward the bridge but you can test for height with smaller, cruder shims. AFAIK it's important that the shim gives the same level and quality of contact over the base of the neck pocket as you get without it, otherwise you lose sustain.

If you have Dan Erlewines books he goes into detail about neck shuimming in both books.

Tonebender I missread your post. I thought it was a Fender Custom shop guitar.

brianf

Yeah I keep hearing about Erlewine's books.......Which one would help me the most? How to make your electric guitar play great?

To Tonebender

How to Make your electric guitar play great is a good place to start. It also has about 6 pages on different ways to tune your guitar. (not different tunings but how to do it).

The Maintenance book has more detail. Lots of extra refret stuff. They are not that expensive. Grab both. Christmas is coming.

brianf

r-senior & brianf,

Thanks for all the help.....I'm going to try put your advice to work ASAP!

Originally posted by Tonebender
    Yeah I keep hearing about Erlewine's books.......Which one would help me the most? How to make your electric guitar play great?
    I'd also suggest "Guitar Players Repair Guide". It's quite comprehensive and is an excellent reference guide to have handy. Probably goes into more detail than the "How to Make your Electric......." book.