Thread: What first?

What first?

This has probably been discussed before in the history of the forum, but a search yielded nothing so i'll ask. When you guys write songs (i know you do) do you predominantly write the words first and add music or vice versa? Since this is a guitar forum i'll expect a predisposition to people writing music first, but i was just wondering your guys' approach. I also know that its probably different with every song, thats why i wrote "predominantly". Usually when i write a song its the music first and it becomes very very guitar oriented song. I've been playing with the idea of first writing the words, then adding music. So what do you folks do?

thanks. just an offhand question. try to help a kid out, y'know

Re: What first?

Im bettin this is going to be one of those, ask 100 people get 100 different answers type questions, but.. I always write the music first, or, more to the point, a bunch of riffs. For me its rare to no kiddin throw down a song beginning to end in one session. Usually Ill just get a mess of riffs together and after awhile, Ill look back and string some together, or develop some others. But whenever I try to do a whole song, it seems forced.

I cant write words to save my life. I usually only come up with little hooky catchy chorus phrases, and someone else fills in the meat of it.

Now on piano.. its all at once.. actually.. I usually have to stop myself and say .. ok.. no more.. thats enough..

I would say though.. just figure out what works for you.. and.. record what you play. Alot of times when you listen back, youll hear something you like. And.. itll improve your playing as youll be more critical.

Also, I usually have mroe inspiration if I sit and force myself to no kidding practice and learn some stuff first, not just sit there mindlessly and try to force myself to write. Usually after a good hour or so, Ive warmed up enough and gotten into it enough, that ideas pop into my head, and Im not so rusty as I can actually play em.

I've not written anything in a long time, but the last thing I wrote was words first. In fact, I had the idea for the rhythm/melody at the same time as the words, and later discovered a better one.

In an interview, Richard Thompson said he concentrates on the words before music, saying that he prefers to have the music floating around in his head while writing rather than putting it down on paper.
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Often times, I'll have a song title or a phrase and maybe a verse or chorus written with no idea of how it will go musically. I'll also have (in my mind or on tape) some riffs or chord changes lying around. It's when the two find each other that a song comes together for me.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

For me, song writing starts with an idea. It could be a riff, a cool verse that has no melody, whatever. I try to rough out a song completely when that inspiration hits because inspiration can be fleeting. I know full well that this "roughed out" version is not the finished product. It is a work in progress. A foundation.

I used to rush my song writing and all my songs came out like guitar songs where the guitar was carrying everything. Nowadays, I try to whittle away at the guitar part and minimize it distributing the musical load to the other players, (or potential players) so that the song can take on a groove. Otherwise, it's the same old strummy crap time and time again.

When I sit down and write a tune with my acoustic guitar I look at as, this is how it will sound when someone without a band tries to cover the song at the local coffee house or open mic. So, the song does need to sound good in that context. That's part of what makes a song great. When others can reduce it to it's prime elements and still carry it off to others a song has real depth the potential for great longevity.

So, in answer to the question, I like to work out both words and music together bearing in mind that very often the original roughed out version of the song is what many people would reduce the song to should it ever get recorded and enjoy some airplay. For me, a song has to work on both levels.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

It takes discipline to be a good writer, and I'm sorely lacking in that department.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.