Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Katrina

Re: Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy
    They've got the gas up to $3.20 and higher here in ne Ohio...seems like its going up by the hour.

Has anyone heard from Moonpie?
    Hey! You're right!
    His last post was 2 days ago.
    What's happening with our squirrel lover?
    There's someone in my head but it's not me.

Somewhere between mile marker #24 and mile marker #856

Just asking to conserve is not enough. They are going to force conservation by increasing the price to an outragous amount. It is not about oil companies getting rich it is about economic stability across the board. But I am not going to argue it till I am blue in the face. I'll do my part.

I'm also concerned about our squirrel loveing friend... Hope Moonpie and family are OK...

The News showed a place in GA today gas was $6. a gallon (gouging?)

They also showed some cops in uniform filling a shopping cart with shoes and stuff at a Walmart.. I understand them not pursuing others doing it since they're vastly outnumbered, but to actually be doing it... I hope their Captain gets copies of the video....

One scary scenario!!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I am a bit overwhelmed at this point.

That's understandable dubya. Overwhellming would be a good description, if not an understatement.

In another time, NOLA would be a lost city.

We are starting to get more reports from the coastal MS family. Things are sounding better for them. I posted a detailed email in the "I am" thread from my stepmom.

I saw a recent posting on another forum/board that were looking for lost family members and famous musicians, like Fats Domino, can't be found. He told his manager that he was going to ride it out in his home in NOLA. Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown lives in Slidell, which is underwater as well. There is a long list of famous people unaccounted for.

I just found out that my brother got out of New Orleans in time. His cafe is flooded out in uptown. His dumb-ass stubborn estranged wife would not evacuate with their 9 and 13 year old girls. I just got word last night that they are ok but stranded in a 3 story house (read: island). No water, power, low on food, etc.
    No way in. No way out. Last cell phone battery finally died last night.
    My brother got out but was in Hattiesburg the night it hit hard. He was in a brick hotel room for that night. He's now roaming the south east in a small pickup with two adults, two kids and some pets trying to get to transport to Houston where hopefully he can track down his wife and daughters (if they get evac to there)

I just heard a woman in NYC on the radio. She's a NOLA native. Hasn't heard from her dad since Monday. Her uncle or cousin is a sherriff, and told her of some horrid stuff going on in prisons outside the city.
    Man, oh man. Hang in there folks. We're with ya'.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Has anyone heard from Moonpie?
    Just saw a post from him at the LPF side.
    Looks like he lost power for a while.
    He seemed to be doing OK.
    :yay

Forum Member

I had the idea of collecting non-perishable food to give to Red Cross. They said they want money. I was told that during Andrew,they stopped letting trucks thourgh and food actually wound up being buried in land fill,(straight from the redcross).

If I had a say, I'd put 30,00 troops on the ground/water in NOLA. Point the guns at the people to keep them from rioting; drop water, food, porta potties and medical attenedants & medicine and tend to the immediate issues of these people and then worry about the evacuaction. This measure should have been in operation yesterday

Personally, I think it is time for the wealthy to really cough up money, and do it now!.All the rest of the nation will suffer,but they won't.

ANd back to the areas in doom. We are seeing the issues of NOLA,but hardly about the surrounding areas. All the sewage, no water, no food, no access to money, no shelter,looting,people weidling guns. The poor suffer double/triple.

And these are the immediate problems, Imagine the evacuies that fled North,what the hell do they have to be dealing with! Waht a nightmare. God help us all!

Quote Originally Posted by thetallcoolone
    Just saw a post from him at the LPF side.
    Looks like he lost power for a while.
    He seemed to be doing OK.

Thats good news!I was startin' to worry about that crazy guitarslinger.
    Women want me
    Fish fear me

Thats good news!I was startin' to worry about that crazy guitarslinger.
    Guitarslinger?
    I thought he was a squirrel rancher.:%
    Glad to hear he's okay.
    This is one of those rare occasions where both leaving the house OR not leaving the house could mean you're just asking for it.
    Elvis Costello

Yep, back in the digital world now :yay

Sore from chainsawing the maple that blew down in the front yard.

We got 1 squirrel about 4 weeks old from one litter and 4 about a week old from another. One died last night, but the others are stabilized and we're hoping for the best.

My prayers are with all those hit by Katrina. What a mess.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Would SOMEBODY please get Rudy Guliani down there and put him in charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Glad to know all is OK on your end, you big squirrel boy!

Have not thought about much of anything else the past couple of days how so many people are suffering.Watching the news sure brings a cold chill. How can we even think of complaining about the price of gas ?? Those poor souls !!Going to get much worse before it's gets better.Crying won't help them, praying might do them some good ?

TX has opened its doors and arms to the residents of MS and LA. Most of LA is in TX, more so than MS. We have sheltered them, clothed them, fed them, given them gas cards, provided phone access, etc. Two of the biggest shelters are less than 5 miles from home in either direction.

And yet, tonight I learned that there have several homes in our area have been broken into and car jackings by some of the displaced LA residents.

It is not a good practice to bite the hand that feeds you. Especially in TX.

Go here: http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

click on each of the individual little boxes drawn on the map. Check out the Katrina imagery all up and down the 93K square mile.....

Those are all before shots.

Here's what you want to see of NOLA:

http://www.digitalglobe.com/sample_imagery.shtml

No they are not....you have to zoom in...and pan around! Trust me... they are not the before pictures!

K. I see some. Most of the area I looked at were pretty clean. All the roofs were still there, cars still in the driveways and stuff.

If you want to get a real feel for what is happening in NOLA, spend a little time listening to the coverage from the local radio station WWL. Those of you in the south can probably tune in @ AM 870. It is a 50K station that gets out in most southern states. Or you can get the live feed from:
    WWL New Orleans (Click on listen live)
    I listened to an interview with NOLA's mayor yesterday where he was pleading to the President for help. It was one of the most passionate speeches I have ever heard. Let's hope and pray that our government will respond to this tragedy. Fed. officials say that help is coming in a big way today and let's hope that is the truth. Somebody in Washington needs to send in 'the cavalry' and do it now. The situation seems to be spiraling out of control.

dubya, I am so glad to hear that your family is safe.

Thanks for the link G. So glad you're safe
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Since we are between Houston and NOLA, a port city, and a military deployment area, we get to see lots of military choppers and equipment move in and out, but I did not hear or see as many gearing up for Iraq as I am here now. There is constant chopper sounds overhead from choppers going back and forth to areas in TX from LA.

I heard the interview a couple times this morning. That was pretty heavy duty.
    The guy sounded very much like a citizen.
    With some of the things I'm hearing and reading, it seems like a some of politicians forget that about themselves, and make decisions as though they're above it all.
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

The sad thing is that this is partly a class situation. It did not turn into one,it has always been one. In any major disastor, the have nots will suffer the most and offer the most retailation,ie looting and shooting and vilolence.
    THe question is , Would the relief be different if it hit a total middle class community? Or was this just a total lack of unpreparedness?
    Personally, I believe there is just sorry excuses why help was not available sooner. There is going to be an unfortuante backlash from minoirtiy communites and hopefully this will begin to spell the end of the conseravitve,right wing behavior America has been exuding. This type of behavior offers no compassion to minorities. The fallout from this disastor does not surprise me. Scary, this could be a trigger for reaction and volitivity of our minoities. There are now easy excuses for violent and/or hopeful politcal reaction. It is unfortunate that this catastrophes consequences have a direct relation to our current political climate.

Hopefully the fallout brings positive change. Maybe an understanding and acceptance of Global warming will take place. By the way, there is a Category 5 Storm headed towards Japan. Katrina could have no relation to global warming What is a relation is the frequency these storms seem to come.

And how would I have handled things? Well, granted, I don't understand the logistics to help. But, knowing that 3-4 days after a dissator is critcal with no sanitation,water,shelter,food or medicine; I would have made several stations with military protection and drop shiped water and food staples immediately. That alone would have thrawted many of the nightmares ,(certainly not all), that these unfortuate folks are enduring.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    The guy sounded very much like a citizen.
    If this doesn't knock you down a peg, what would?

The guy was an outsider all along, I've gathered. I heard some pundits giving him grief for being shrill and alarmist, saying NOLA may never be the same and that everyone has to leave. This was before Katrina made landfall, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by teleman1
    The sad thing is that this is partly a class situation. It did not turn into one,it has always been one.
    Lots of folks who didn't leave couldn't. I heard someone say that NOLA had an impressively effective evacuation plan -- for those who owned cars and could afford gas on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by teleman1
    Well, granted, I don't understand the logistics to help.
    Trust me...I am not arguing here...there are some elements of this response that are going extraordinarily poorly. But logistics is the problem. People are focused on New Orleans because it is in the 24 hour news cycle. Remember that the brunt of the damage was in Mississippi and includes a four state area...not just one city of a 1/2 million. I have worked in emergency services for 25 years, and cannot recall anything with an impact area this large, or with logistical problems so impossible.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/kat....ap/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by sabby
    Lots of folks who didn't leave couldn't. I heard someone say that NOLA had an impressively effective evacuation plan -- for those who owned cars and could afford gas on the way out.

And local gov't in LA knew this and didn't arrange for it. The Mayor of NOLA and the Governor of LA are responsible for this action. If your city is largely made up of the underserved and gov't assisted then you have to make 10x more effort and planning than you did for those with resources to get out on their on. This didn't happen. The superdome was not pre- or proper planning. It was a quick fix that didn't work.

MS is ranked #50 in the nation with regards to poverty and education with LA running something like 48 or 49, yet you can see how well people act and react to giving and receiving of help from others.

There is no excuse for the actions of the lawless running rampid in NOLA. Local gov't knew opening the doors to prison and jails to prevent an inhumane press coverage would result in the terror that is taking place. The prisoners should have been on the first busses out of NOLA before the hurricane hit.

I am of the opinion that since most of LA residents are now or soon will be in Houston and people all across the US are offering extra rooms, rental homes, jobs, etc. in places like Oregon, Washington, CA, Florida,.... that the airlines ought to step up and offer free travel for the displaced to these new lives outside of NOLA. NOLA will never be what it was and anything close will take years.

Houston is the main hub for most all US air carriers and it would easy for this to take place.

Also they might want to entertain setting up some of the same housing that the soldiers have in Iraq in the parking lots of the Astrodome and Relient Center. You know the small trailers that will have generator power and window airconditioners. With access to a huge meal tent.

Forum Member

People are focused on New Orleans because it is in the 24 hour news cycle. Remember that the brunt of the damage was in Mississippi and includes a four state area...not just one city of a 1/2 million

So True Red Room!

There are probably at least the same numbers of people in harms way in the surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dubya
    And local gov't in LA knew this and didn't arrange for it. The Mayor of NOLA and the Governor of LA are responsible for this action. If your city is largely made up of the underserved and gov't assisted then you have to make 10x more effort and planning than you did for those with resources to get out on their on. This didn't happen.
    Well, poor folks were getting hosed on transit before the evac order, and not just in NOLA.

I won't argue that the mayor and gov. didn't do all that they could have. But the federal has been reducing serves to the states and cities since the 80s. States and cities are left to fill the gaps with what are generally declining revenues on their ends. Schools, roads, human services, attracting business, etc., etc. -- states and cities already have lots more to pay for than they can handle before we even take disaster preparedness into into account. Hell, even with the "war on terror," stateside homeland security is still
    underfunded.

This house of cards has been standing for a while, and every mjor population center has its disaster scenario that's unaddressed. I guess being between the devil and deep blue sea only gets worst when you're smacked by a hurricane.

I read in an email dispatch from HOU to NOLA emergency crews, that in NOLA/Slidell area a local hospital ordered 40K bodybags. So, this definitely exceeds 911 and has earned the title being used by the media of "Apocolyptic Porportions".

Quote Originally Posted by sabby
    Well, poor folks were getting hosed on transit before the evac order, and not just in NOLA.

I won't argue that the mayor and gov. didn't do all that they could have. But the federal has been reducing serves to the states and cities since the 80s. States and cities are left to fill the gaps with what are generally declining revenues on their ends. Schools, roads, human services, attracting business, etc., etc. -- states and cities already have lots more to pay for than they can handle before we even take disaster preparedness into into account. Hell, even with the "war on terror," stateside homeland security is still underfunded.
    This is not a socialist nation... you can't live forever on government programs and the Federal Gov't should not be responsible for YOU in your daily existance! The programs should be reigned back in most cases.

I have lived in the poorest states in the U.S. until moving to TX. I am well aware of the government dynamics as well as the same "poor people" you speak of. I have seen with my own eyes people that can and will never work because of entitlement programs. They work the system and find a million ways to rip off the gov't which is ripping of the working class of America. These are also the same ones that find more profit in crime and the same ones shooting, looting, and raping in times of devestation and crisis. This is not a reaction to the situation this is everyday life and they don't want or choose to do better.

I challenge anyone outside of Arkansas, Mississippi and Lousianna to give up what you have move to rural Ms or impoverished areas of LA. You will not last a year. Your whole outlook will change.

Hey Dubya...there are already evacuees as far West as Abilene...

Great!

I know they are exhausted by now. Are there lots of volunteers there? Do you know how many? All from LA?

There is a construction company out of Houston that is looking to hire 1000 people from the evacs to rebuild when it is safe to go back into NOLA.

I have no idea...just reports that people are starting to sprinkle in. Gotta wonder what will be going on in Dallas/Fort Worth area. There is the Texas Motor Speedway and several other potential large areas.

Yeah... that is true. TMS is not airconditioned but it is cover under the seating and plenty of concession stands and bathrooms. August in Dallas is even hotter than August in NOLA.