Thread: `58 Esquire @ $6500?!?

`58 Esquire @ $6500?!?

deal or not?

ad;Here is a guitar rarely found and it came in with the one owner tweed Deluxe amp (NOW SOLD which can be bought separately or together at a special price!) EXC condition original 1958 Esquire with it's milky blonde see through finish, some light chipping along the edges, finish is still in exc condition, single coil Tele pickup, single ply white guard, original knobs, tailpiece and 3 way switch, has maple neck with black dot inlays and single line Kluson all original, and sounds wicked, you cant get this sound from any re-issue, definatly for the collector or serious player, comes with the original tweed case with red velvet lining..

what would be a serial number i'd be looking for? and where?

thanx!
    Imanidiot.

Re: `58 Esquire @ $6500?!?

Sounds like a deal to me if it'e genuine. However, it could be $650.00 and I couldn't afford it.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Back off Frank, I'm already in the car!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Dude, if that's real you better own it!

Frank the serial should be on the neckplate.

Here are the numbers.

0001 to 6000 = 1954
    6000 to 9000 = 1955
    9000 to 16000 = 1956
    16000 to 25000 = 1957 (some numbers with a "0" or "-" prefix)
    25000 to 30000 = 1958 (some numbers with a "0" or "-" prefix)
    30000 to 40000 = 1959
    40000 to 58000 = 1960
    55000 to 72000 = 1961
    72000 to 93000 = 1962
    93000 to 99999 = 1963

thanks M

i waiting for the guy to contact me......i pretty stoked!
    Imanidiot.

$6500? That's an absolute bargain, given that the advertised price is almost double that (US dollars, we're talking about, yes? I just did a quick conversion). I'm looking at the ad right now, the exact same wording for the exact same product (58 Esquire less Tweed Deluxe amp).

$6500 = steal

Tenebrae

From blowing up a photo of the back plate, it looks like a 31xxx serial number to me ~ I'm assuming we're talking about the same guitar though.

Tenebrae

:wah the guy hasn't contacted me yet :wah

he prob just realized he could double it!
    Imanidiot.

well, it's been 24 hrs, and NO response.

i emailed this guy immediately when he posted his ad (i have the site as my homepage)

ya know what they say; if it sounds too good to be true, then it's probably bullshit

oh well, it was fun while it lasted...thanks for you help guys!
    Imanidiot.

Show us the ad. We'll all start harassing him for not getting back to one of our homies!

TB's got it...we got your back. Just let know who this guy is and we'll teach him!

Hi guys!

This is where I saw the advertisement for the 1958 Esquire. I am in no way positive if this is where Frank saw the instrument posted or not, but it is enough of a mystery that it might be worth checking out:

Advert for 1958 Fender Esquire Blonde

http://www.ricsvintageguitars.com/inventory_3.htm

Scroll down the page to just before the halfway mark, read the description and click on the piccies.

Here's the advert Frank quoted:

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    ad;Here is a guitar rarely found and it came in with the one owner tweed Deluxe amp (NOW SOLD which can be bought separately or together at a special price!) EXC condition original 1958 Esquire with it's milky blonde see through finish, some light chipping along the edges, finish is still in exc condition, single coil Tele pickup, single ply white guard, original knobs, tailpiece and 3 way switch, has maple neck with black dot inlays and single line Kluson all original, and sounds wicked, you cant get this sound from any re-issue, definatly for the collector or serious player, comes with the original tweed case with red velvet lining..
    ...And here's the advertisement of the site:

"Here is a guitar rarely found in Australia and it came in with the one owner tweed Deluxe amp (NOW SOLD which can be bought separately or together at a special price!) EXC condition original 1958 Esquire with it's milky blonde see through finish, some light chipping along the edges, finish is still in exc condition, single coil Tele pickup, single ply white guard, original knobs, tailpiece and 3 way switch, 1x 58 pot and 1x 61 pot, has maple neck with black dot inlays and single line Kluson all original, and sounds wicked, you cant get this sound from any re-issue, definatly for the collector or serious player, comes with the original tweed case with red velvet lining...(you can check out the amp in the amp section)"

What d'you fellows think? Frank, is the site where you saw the guitar advertised?

Tenebrae

It's a MIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    It's a MIM.
    Well, there's something! A curiosity indeed....I don't know my stuff at all in this sort of area and I could certainly use the education. What's the giveaway MIM details on this one, Tele-Bob? I noticed that the neck plate stamp doesn't match Marcondo's listing (ie. this one is stamped as a '59 model). What else? I'll happily admit being stupid if I can learn something :)

Cheers

Tenebrae

mine was on CRAIGSLIST [philly].......

========================================
    1958 Fender Esquire - $6500

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: anon-93191401@craigslist.org
    Date: 2005-08-24, 6:46PM EDT

Here is a guitar rarely found and it came in with the one owner tweed Deluxe amp (NOW SOLD which can be bought separately or together at a special price!) EXC condition original 1958 Esquire with it's milky blonde see through finish, some light chipping along the edges, finish is still in exc condition, single coil Tele pickup, single ply white guard, original knobs, tailpiece and 3 way switch, has maple neck with black dot inlays and single line Kluson all original, and sounds wicked, you cant get this sound from any re-issue, definatly for the collector or serious player, comes with the original tweed case with red velvet lining..

All the pictures has been attached in a zip file, also there´s a little sample with guitar sound, download it here

http://secureshoppinginternational.c...r%20squire.zip

[and there was 1 pic]

and i gave the guy the benefit of the doubt on the year...he was close.....

don't know if the ad was ever true, but i do know that some people get their kicks outta just fuckin w/ people. sad, really. what leads me to this conclusion is that i never recieved a reply of any sort, and they never chaged the CL ad saying it's gone/sold.

oh well, it was fun while it lasted. i did get this strange rush knowing i was gonna spend $6500 on ONE guitar. I think they just created a monster! :lol
    Imanidiot.

Photos 1-7 are the same as those found on the Australian site, Ric's Vintage Guitars, and the sound sample is in .scr format. It's as fishy as all hell. The ony thing .scr file formats are good for are screensavers, viruses, and trojans. If anything, man, your hard earned $6500 lives to buy another day ~ something legit and something that you'll rest easy with and enjoy.

Cheers

Tenebrae