Thread: I hate my wireless

I hate my wireless

I have the AKG Guitarbug and the PR-40 Diversity system. This rig used to perform flawlessly, but lately it's been crackling, delaying the signal, and cutting out, if I move more than 20 feet away from the base unit. And that is with a set of fresh batteries.

It's really starting to piss me off. I'm out there interacting with the crowd and rocking out, and the POS starts crapping out on me, so I have to run back to the stage. Even worse is when it cuts out altogether, and I have to switch to a cord. I think it's time to start looking for a more reliable unit. I want a unit that will maintain signal integrity up to at least 100 feet from the base unit. Anyone have recommendations?
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

TFF Stage Crew

Re: I hate my wireless

I have gigged the Shure UT "Guitarist" wireless HARD for several years now--never a problem despite the base unit sitting on my pedalboard and covered with nicks and scuffs. Sounds really clear too--no audible compression effect, no loss of highs, lows, etc. Gets my top rating.

pc, thanks for the review. I've been close on that system for a while. How's the battery life on the xmitter?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

Minimum three full shows per 9V batt, and usually four whole shows. :yay

I just got a Sennheiser EW-172G2 wireless unit, and I have to say that I'm very pleased with the quality of this unit. Since I play bass, I asked around the bass forums, and this one was the most recommended.

Not sure about the battery life, but this one uses 2 AA batteries instead of a 9 volt. I'm still using the included cheapie batteries, and in around 6 hours of play, they seem to have lost only around 25% of their life (this is based on the little battery icon losing 1 bar).

Tonally, it's transparent. I'm quite impressed.

One thing that I am a bit pissed about it that it doesn't come with rack ears. No biggie, so I buy the rack kit ~$50 - and that doesn't come with the antenna mounting kit that is required to move the antennas to the front of your rack - that's an additional $50. I think that they should include the antenna kit with the rack ear kit - It really a necessity. I don't want my wireless antennas to be sheilded by my head, and my other rack stuff. I'm gonna shoot an email to Sennheiser about it - they should be nickel and diming their customers like this.

Anyway, even with my displeasure over the antenna kit, I'd recommend this unit. Just make sure that you budget an extra $100 in when you're purchasing if you intend to rack mount it.