Thread: Recommendation for headphones

Forum Member

Recommendation for headphones

Can someone recommend a good pair of headphones for practice. Many times in my house the only time I have for practicing is real early in the morning, (my wife and kids are still sleeping). I use the emulated output on my AVT into a small mixer where I use a drum machine as a metronome. My headphones of many years have finally fallen apart and no parts are available. I'm a little overwhelmed at the choices so if someone has a particular set they like please let me know. I'm looking in the $100 range more or less.

THANKS!!

Re: Recommendation for headphones

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATA-M40fs headphones.
    I got them because they were studio reference headphones, but I've grown to love them for everything. I think they were like $80.00.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Gravity Jim

I like the venerable Sony MDR-7506. Great sounding, bright, efficient as all get-out (big volume even with wimpy headphone amps), light and comfortable, and seriously rugged (I've had a couple pairs in my studio for 10 years that are still going strong after being dropped, overdriven, stepped on, and once even THROWN against a wall by an angry VO reader who has not been asked back to this space ever again).

I asked this question a while ago, and a lot of folks said the Sennheiser HD-280. I bought a pair, and I like them a lot. They're about $100.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim
    I like the venerable Sony MDR-7506. Great sounding, bright, efficient as all get-out (big volume even with wimpy headphone amps), light and comfortable, and seriously rugged (I've had a couple pairs in my studio for 10 years that are still going strong after being dropped, overdriven, stepped on, and once even THROWN against a wall by an angry VO reader who has not been asked back to this space ever again).

For my meager purposes, the 7506s have been great; then again, I did buy them on Jim's recommendation...;)
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Forum Member

Thank you all for your replies. You've given me some great suggestions.

I also have a pair of the Sony MDR-7506 phones. For $99 street price, I don't think you'll find a better set. The Grado SR-60 and SR-80 phones are also really good audio quality for the price, but not as comfortable to wear as the Sonys.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce