Thread: I never liked my electric playing but ....

I never liked my electric playing but ....

I have never liked my electric guitar playing. Invariably, if I play the same song on the acoustic and the electeric, I will like in so much more on the acoustic. This has been somewhat of a source of frustration in my development. I want to like the electric, but I feel so comfortable on the acoustic. I can play random stuff on it and it will sound good to my ears; not so on the strat.

However, I had a breakthrough today. I finally played a couple of songs on the electric that sound better: "Have a Cigar" - Pink Floyd and "Monkey Man" - Rolling Stones.

Maybe this means I am progressing. Here's hoping. Does anyone have any input that may help me improve with the electricity?

Re: I never liked my electric playing but ....

Sounds like you're missing a bit of "fun factor" with the electric. I might get hammered for this suggestion but go out and pick up a bunch of cheap stompboxes and just go wild. Play with the guitar, the amp, the effects and have some fun.

When I get bored practicing I turn on the really cheezy effects available in my Tascam CD-GT1 trainer or pull out the chorus pedal. All of a sudden I'm Bill Nelson and wanking out "Sister Seagull" (Bill was lead guitarist with BeBop Deluxe) or Mick Ronson.

When you've layered yourself into an effects limbo and really doing something interesting sounding turn off all the effects and see what it's like just guitar and amp.

Experiment.

Fwiw, I generally don't use FX at all except for a little od from a Barber LTD.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

I think Tele-Tubby has got the right idea--explore the possibilities. Sometimes I think I'm really playing the Amp--and the guitar is just the controller!

My suggestion: If you don't already have it, go out and buy a copy of the movie "School of Rock", it's great fun and should get you in the mood.

Long delays always help get my inspiration back...
    So yeah, break out the stomp boxes and go for it...

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

Or on the other hand, some people just prefer an acoustic over an electric. Maybe you're just one of those people.......

:)

An acoustic guitar can be a symphony. Its great by itself or as an accompanyment to a voice. The electric guitar much more anensemble instrument, a voice or a part. Even a fat electric sound in a stripped-down sound arrangment needs a rhythmic kick. Think Jack White in the White Stripes.

To like the electric, have a few with a drummer and a few other musical friends and turn it up. :smokin

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFrogs
    Or on the other hand, some people just prefer an acoustic over an electric. Maybe you're just one of those people.......
    I am starting to think that this is me. Bummer! I agree w/ sabby that I think electric is better suited for a band atmosphere and acoustic is better for solo. This is another reason I think I have become an acoustic man: I have never played with anyone else!!

Oh, well... I'll keep at it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyc007
    I agree w/ sabby that I think electric is better suited for a band atmosphere and acoustic is better for solo.
    Baloney! A solo electric guitar hooked up to some good effects can sound just as good as an acoustic, maybe more so, since the sonic pallette is so much greater than an acoustic. Nothing wrong with a solo acoustic, mind you, but you can do so much more with an electric.

Quote Originally Posted by stratovani
    Baloney! A solo electric guitar hooked up to some good effects can sound just as good as an acoustic, maybe more so, since the sonic pallette is so much greater than an acoustic. Nothing wrong with a solo acoustic, mind you, but you can do so much more with an electric.

Sometimes, less is more..........

:)

i think the effects thing is a good idea.

a thought i had is you might want to try to play the electric different from your acoustic. don't know if you approach both with the same style. i used to, and now i don't.

i've played guitar for close to 11 years now, and it took me 8 to figure out i can't play both the same (elec and aco). the revelation came when playing in a cover band and i realized that with electric the amp plays in hugely to what you can do. when i learned to use and control feedback all bets were off on playing acoustic for a couple years. i dug in and figured out my electric style. i still play acoustic, but mostly just to write songs (keef style). i read an interview once with keef and he said he writes all his songs on acoustic cause there is no electricity and other crap to get in the way. basically if you can write a song that rocks on acoustic, just wait til you plug in.

i've rambled on long enough.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

To retain some of the acoustic feel in your electric use, try and just use your fingers, no pick. Maybe even get an archtop electric or a semi-hollowbody like an ES-335. You can sit for hours on the couch, not plugged in, and finger-pick away. The acoustic volume is very satisfying and much of your acoustic guitar stuff will tanslate to the semi-hollowbody. I'm not suggesting your substitute this for your acoustic, but as a transitional state only, making the journey over to electric by gradually learning to see its potential. Just a thought...

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

thoughts on this: I have been uninspired by an acoustic unless it is a 12 string. On a 6 string I hear a dunce. On a 12 string, it seems as I finally hearing what I hear in my head. I can play the simplest thing on the 12 string and it seems heads turn in the store. moreso, ny daughter sits back in awe along with her shredder friend (who is pretty good) and bestow accolades.

Whats up with this? 12 string isn;t really any different from the 6.

Remember, even Bob went electric!

What kind of stuff do you like to play on acoustic? I played mine daily from the time I bought it in '74 up till I dropped guitar altogether in '92. Now it just sits in it's case and I play the electric exclusively. I don't play anything on electric I used to do on the acoustic except Crazy Horse tunes.

Btw, nice avatar Chucko. Your location reminded me of a high school buddy we used to call butterball, or as this was in Panama, "Pelots de mantequilla."

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Tubby
    What kind of stuff do you like to play on acoustic?
    This is partly my problem. I like playing Neil Young, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Robert Johnson, stuff like that. All acoustic songs (and some electric that I have converted to acoustic beacuse I think it sounds better; examples: "Breathe", "Down By the River").

It is difficult for me to find electric songs that sound good solo (I am a solo living room performer: no band, or desire to play in publc). There are a few: "Honky Tonk Women", "Kind Hearted Woman Blues", "Have a Cigar".

I thought about upgrading amps, pedals, etc. to get a better sound, but I don't think that's the problem. I think it is song selection and a overall comfortableness with the Strat.

By the way, I appreciate all your feedback. You guys kick @ss!

TURN IT UP! Feel the power! You can make people perform ritualistic courtship dances with it. You can have girls show you their boobs! Crash a huge power chord with a big "Kerang!" and then let it ring out and feed back. You can unleash a violent sonic assualt on the unsuspecting listeners. You can sonically assault them into submission. Think "Screw you world, I've listened to your noise all week - now YOU WILL hear mine!" Electric guitar is all about attitude. Embrace your inner psycho killer and wield it like a weapon of mass destruction.

In short - ROCK!

It's fun. It'sd theraputic, and it will make you a better person.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

You got it all wrong. Muddy Waters invented electricity.

Play the blues.

ac

Quote Originally Posted by animal chin
    You got it all wrong. Muddy Waters invented electricity.

Play the blues.
    Now this I can get with. Muddy (and his band) had a very striped down, raw feel. Now THAT rocks!