Thread: Help me mod my Squier Fat

I need help...

i was given a Squier Affinity Series Fat Strat (it has a 20th anniversary neck plate, so im guessing an anniversary?)

anyways, i was given it, and thought since it was a squier and was given i would use it until i could get something maybe a little better.
    turns out the dang thing plays well. it actually sounds real nice, hauntingly close to an authentic fender american strat. i was most suprised. well, it was black, and i got bored and sanded this thing down. ive got a white pickguard, a Seymour Duncan im replacing the bridge humbucker with and some gold tuners on the way (a friend of mine has some from his workplace). im thinking a tortise shell pickguard? with all gold hardware? i am very open to suggestions or ideas. thanks! if it was yours what would you do?
    Last edited by fastfingers413; 08-08-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Forum Member

Re: Help me mod my Squier Fat

First thing - replace all the electronics. Squier electronics tend to be on the cheap side. Go to guitarelectronics.com and get yourself some CTS pots, the 500K type, since you've got humbuckers. A new 5-way switch would also be a good idea. Try the E-Megaswitch from stewmac.com; with buckers coil-tapping would give you a variety of sounds not otherwise possible. If you plan on using the trem a lot I'd get some good locking tuners and some roller string trees. Also you might want to check the bridge saddles for burrs, since there seems to be quite a bit of string breakage there. Lubricate the nut and bridge saddles (Big Bends Nut Sauce works well) and you're good to go. And a good guitar setup (check Mr.Gearhead.com) will go a long way to improving your guitar's playability. As far as cosmetic issues go, it's really a question of personal preference. IMO, white with a tortoiseshell pickguard should look pretty good.

Good luck. Should be a sweet axe by the time you're done with it.

Re: Help me mod my Squier Fat

wow, thanks. great help! ill definitely check out those sites.