Thread: a question for the pedal nerds (custom loopers)

a question for the pedal nerds (custom loopers)

okay, so squirt and i were talking on the phone tonight and feel like we've hit upon a cool idea for a looper pedal.

here's what we want to do:

build a loop pedal with 2 seperate loops, loop A, and loop B. but, we want to put an on off switch on it too.

here's the scenario: when you're playing you have three choices, clean (pedal off), crunck rhythm (loop A), and lead boost (loop B). that way when you're playing and you want to take a lead you won't need to click off one pedal and then turn on the other, you can toggle between them. and you have the choice of going back to clean.

no suggestions for the full drive or other pedal with a boost on it please, chris already has one. and we ain't stacking pedals either. sorry, don't want to sound like a dick. but we have a plan.

so what i was thinking is that i could build basically 2 loop boxes into one, have both loops on the toogle (between A and B) return to the same spot, and then go into a true bypass switch that controls whether the loop pedal is in or out of your signal.

is this do able, or whould i get a ground loop hum? i remember reading about somebody that had one built like this for them, can't remember who. i think it's a cool idea, and if it can be done (i'm sure it can, i'm just not too savvy with modding or building pedals) i'm gonna build one for myself too.

thanks all for taking the time to indulge this .
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: a question for the pedal nerds (custom loopers)

Chucko, my friend. I built myself this very pedal, only it was even more groovy.

Here's how it worked:
    Signal came in.
    First foot switch shunted the signal to a tuner out.

There were essentially three loops after that. Loop A and B were switchable via the second foot switch. Loop C was always on.

But dig this, there were also two outputs.

So, with a stomp I could have Loop A, then Loop C, then Output A.

-or-

Loop B, Loop C, then Output B.

Basically what I did was put my overdrive in Loop A and I ran Output A to the second channel of my Deluxe Reverb. Then, Loop B contained the distortion and ran to the first channel of my amp which was set up to be a little more mid-heavy.

In Loop C I had my wah pedal and chorus.

Make sense? Did I describe that okay?

Anyway, the first switch is a standard double pole jobber, the second you have to use a Fulltone or other 3 pole. Use 4 (if you can find 'em) if you want to have an LED.

Never had any humming problems (except when I forgot the words).
    s'all goof.

TFF Stage Crew

I've often thought about doing the very thing you describe ChuckO. I'm sure building it is half the fun, but you can buy any config you want at www.loooper.com.

(Yes, you need the third 'O' to make the link work. :))

stetka, cool idea man. ours is going to be a little different in that the loops will return to the pedal and be sent out to the amp. i used to do a similar thing when i played my bassman. but it was just an A/B box, one to each channel on my amp. hum the words? just sing the first verse again...

thanks for the link jack. i may get some ideas from them. i kinda feel like building a pedal. not that i'm gonna save any money. i gave up on that a long time ago. :hee

TFF Stage Crew

Jack?

Chuck must've had you confused with somebody else. His radar needs adjusting or something.
    s'all goof.

TFF Stage Crew

[sniff]It's so nice to be remembered...[sniff]

Go to David Boggs' website. That is exactly the unit he built for me, with the addtion of a wet/dry blend pot. It can be seen in the picks of my pedal board at

http://members12.clubphoto.com/chuck...13/guest.phtml

I have two loops and a master bypass. Loop 1 has a blend pot.

You can order from Dave at www.loooper.com

OSA
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    Jack?

He doesn't know jack.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

what a bunch of es, please refer to me as 'ocaster then...;)

DUDE!!! loooper.com has fulfilled my wildest tone dreams. I'm getting all choked up just thinking about.... (single tear) No seriously, thanks guys... I think that one of those pedals is really going to help me out!!!
    Thanks.... I like to play.

David has had some family health issues and was training a new assistant. He should be in a better delivery condition now. Mine took about 5 weeks, but I'd check with him on delivery time. The stuff he makes is totally transparent and noiseless, so it's worth the wait. He is very responsive with emails and a decent guy to deal with. In his defense, he could have got mine done quicker but I told him family comes first and deal with that before me.

OSA
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim