Thread: '72 Tele Deluxe Reissue (MIM)

'72 Tele Deluxe Reissue (MIM)

I tried to not like this guitar,being rather traditional and remembering the "Baconcasters" of the '70s.....
    but this thing is oh so sweet.The pups are very responsive and wide range,and the neck seems to have a flatter radius and bigger frets than the originals.If you are a 'bucker guy but like the tele body,check one out.
    Here it is,flanked by my '57 reissue (with temporary tortoise guard) and '88 MIJ,the overall best strat I've ever had,old or new.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

TFF Stage Crew

Re: '72 Tele Deluxe Reissue (MIM)

Cool refin. Need to hear it now--off to the Jam Zone with you! :)

I always thought those were pretty groovy guitars when I saw them. The MIM versions I've checked out seem to be really well built and play nicely. Yeah, let's hear that bad boy in the Zone! :yay

Baconcasters?

I never heard that one...

I've got a 1972 thinline. Fairly similar to the Deluxe. I like it, but it sure needs bigger frets. The sound is pretty cool even though it's not quite the "tele sound"

I like the MIM stuff a lot. They all seem to have very good "woody" tones.

any guitar in the hands of Refin would sound great - and that one not only will sound great but it looks quite cool as well... just checking in at the zone to see when Refin struts it out - I look forward to that moment for sure

Yipes....you guys are being too kind to me.Thanks for the kind words,silly as it is!

I played a few other MIM 'buckered Teles and the fret size seems to be between the small vintage and medium jumbo.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

MY JAMS--

I'm gassing hard for a 70's Tele with the double hums..... want the walnut one.

I always wanted to hear these pups in a Lester........
    or maybe one in a Jr. style guitar.

MY JAMS--

Old thread... but today I met a friend at a GC to help him pick out a practice amp for his 12 year-old (he went for the G-DEC 30 for the 'phones, CD input and rhythm tracks) and to help him scratch his own itch to "get back in the game". My friend can play a little (just a little) and has a (to me) hideous and heavy Tokai Super Strat of some sort with a wide & flat shred neck, locking nut and Floyd on it that he bought in the 80s when he was first learning to play. But it's a finicky sort of filly that doesn't really suit him. But as a result, Strats were off limits in the hunt.

Anyway... my instructions were to help him find the best sounding/feeling sub-$800 guitar in the store, and we spent three or four hours kicking the tires on just about everything, including stuff I normally ignore. Most instructive when you're spending someone else's money to try and hold to your often-challenged dictum to "shop with your ears and your hands, not with your eyes." Like Goldilocks, some were too hot, some too cold, but one was jusssssst right and it suprised me a little.

We both ended up agreeing that the best sounding and feeling guitar in the store (that day) was a '72RI Tele Deluxe. The walnut color and maple neck looks classy with the funky big headstock, black guard and amp knobs. It ain't pure Tele for sure, but sure sounded lush and rich. And I was really surprised to like the sound of this one much more than the two thinlines they had on hand -- I had a vague recollection of "received wisdom" that made me think those should have spanked it easily, but not today.

Anyway, a fun day. Not as fun as if I'd been shopping for myself, but a lot less stressful!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

They're nice guitars, CV......did yer buddy buy it?

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I forgot the punchline: Heck yeah, he bought it. I "larded him up" with a G-Dec 30 for the kid, the Tele Deluxe, some strings, cords, headphones, picks, straps, a string winder... you name it.

I'm sure he's in the Doghouse at home, and I'll never be allowed to take him shopping again!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Be sure to stop by the Guitar Circus an' pick up yer commission check.

Jus' kiddin', CV! I'm sure he's gonna happy wif his new toys.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I've been looking a lot at the Thinlines over the last year or so, and have been pleasantly surprised at them each time! I was really jonesin' for the MIM '69 Thinline, and after I felt the 'U' neck with the tiny vintage frets, I was sold.

Took me a while to get rolling on what I wanted, but I ended up with a '69 Custom Tele MIM thingie complete with the '69 Thinline neck (sneak peek of it):

Not to digress, but the point is, the MIM '69-'70s RI Teles are VERY nice. Thinlines, Deluxes...the several I've gotten in my hands all felt and sounded really nice. The price is good on these too.

Nice work, Clay!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

That there would be the iceman setup. Later used by Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    I've been looking a lot at the Thinlines over the last year or so, and have been pleasantly surprised at them each time! I was really jonesin' for the MIM '69 Thinline, and after I felt the 'U' neck with the tiny vintage frets, I was sold.

Took me a while to get rolling on what I wanted, but I ended up with a '69 Custom Tele MIM thingie complete with the '69 Thinline neck (sneak peek of it):

Not to digress, but the point is, the MIM '69-'70s RI Teles are VERY nice. Thinlines, Deluxes...the several I've gotten in my hands all felt and sounded really nice. The price is good on these too.

Nice work, Clay!
    How is it compared to the CV you purchased? Fit-n-finish and electronics? That is sweet looking guitar there TJ!

Did it come with the humbucker sized single coil or did you replace it with one of those GFS pickups? If so you'll probably get that P90 vibe which is SUPER COOL!!!

I have the MIJ version killer guitars for sure..Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    That there would be the iceman setup. Later used by Keith.
    Kinda. It's a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90. Putting a GFS 50s Boutique in the bridge...it's on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by dzguitar10 View Post
    How is it compared to the CV you purchased?
    Well, the electronics aren't done yet. I sourced out all the parts for this one...the finish is all new, and the CV Tele easily compares. The neck finish on the CV is better, though.

I didn't want to de-rail this thread, but as soon as it's all wired up and ready, I'll start a thread for this one soon with a lot more info and pics.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

The original Deluxe came with jumbo frets. I'm not sure what the spec was for the fingerboard radius, but its flatter than the vintage necks for sure. The original ones also had the Seth Lover "wide range humbuckers" with CuNiFe magnetic polepieces. The reissue pickups are different. That's not to say that they're bad, just different from the originals. Fralin, GFS and Rio Grande have their own versions, but they're also different from the original pickups. My '73 Deluxe needs a little work at this point, but its still a great axe.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

12 radius inch on the original and yes the frets are non standard and the pots on the originals were 1 meg. I have a friend who has an original Deluxe. I had a 72 RI Thinline three or four years ago. I LOVEd that guitar. It went from very, very good to great. First, I swapped the 250k pots for 500k. Then by chance I put one original WRHB in the bridge - HOLY COW! I immediately snagged another. Ultimately that guitar became God-like after I refinished the body. I swear every player who heard it wanted it. NEVER should'a sold it but tough times make for tough decisions.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend changing those pots if they are 250K. Tis like taking a blanket off the amp...