Thread: Finally got my 'caster together and .... nothing. Ughh!

Finally got my 'caster together and .... nothing. Ughh!

Finally got my Strat partsocaster together today. Put some strings on, plugged in and ...... nothing. Damn! :dead :dead
    Well almost nothing. Neck pup works, no middle or bridge. Something is messed up in the wiring, I figure. So I open it up; rewire everything. Put one string back on to test and .... nothing. Damn! :dead :dead :dead
    This time no pup works. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. Does anyone else have any bad luck like this? Is it just me? am I a ?

Re: Finally got my 'caster together and .... nothing. Ughh!

:fc :! :gun2

You'll get it sorted out.

If you take a screw driver or something metallic, you can tap on the pole pieces of the p'ups to see if they're working without having to install a set of strings.

Just slow down and retrace your wiring one step at a time. It almost sounds like you forgot the jumpers on the switch. Have another calm look at it and you'll figure it out.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

You just need to follow the wiring diagram really carefully this time.

And, like TB said, tap on the pickups with a metalic object before you string it up. It'll save you time and money.

Now that's why I like the modern bridge instead of the vintage. No need to remove the strings to get to underneath the guard.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I've had a problem similar to this....and it was due to electrics shorting either against eachother, or shorting on the screening foil of the control cavity or the pickguard after assembly. Everything looked OK, but when I put it back together again, the problem happened.

Do the pickups respond to a tap before you re-assemble the pickguard?

Start with the basics while trouble-shooting.

First, confirm that each pickup works. Get you some small clips. Temporarily clip each pickup to the output jack and do the tap test with a metallic object.

Then, install the pickups in the pickguard. Wire each of them to the 5 way switch. Temporarily clip leads from the 5 way directly to the output jack. Do the tap test again, running the 5 way through each position to ensure that you wired it correctly.

Then, bring the pots into the equation.

It's frustrating to not know where the problem lies. You might even have a faulty pickup or pot or something. Take it slowly and test as you go. Good luck.
    s'all goof.

Thanks for all the tips and/or encouragement. I'm letting my dissapointment (and the heat) subdue for a little while and I'll tackle it again.

I think it might be the short thing described by ajwain becuase eveything is wired correctly. Or possibly a ground issue.

Hmmm .....

You'll get it. If not, shoot a picture of the wiring and post it here. The eagle-eyes on this forum will spot the issue in milliseconds.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I gave it another shot. I re-soldered a few of the connections that looked questionable. I double & tripled check the diagram - spot on. Still nothing. If I touch the little prong of the pot carrying the white wire (not ground wires) I get a hum out of the amp. What does this mean? Any ideas?

What about the ground connection. I got it soldered to the tremolo claw. Any trick to it? Better/different spot to try?

My guess is you have a short to ground in the input jack.

If you know your switch is good and you have it wired correctly thats the next thing to try. Pull the whole assembly out of the guitar and see if it works outside the guitar bet it will work fine that way then you will know thats it hopefully.

I re-wired everything today and .... eureka! It works. In fact, it sounds GREAT!! Those GFS pups are awesome. They blow away the SD in my Tele.

Whew. I am so relieved to have finished this project. It seemed like I had an unfinished guitar laying around forever!

Two seconds after I finished, I thought: "Hmm..what's the NEXT project to tackle? Build an amp?". I am a glutton for punishment (or addicted to building).