Thread: Oscar Schmidt OE40 setup tips

Forum Member

Oscar Schmidt OE40 setup tips

I just got one of these, it is my first hollow body electric, and it has an adjustable bridge. Can anyone give me some advice on how to set it up, and bridge placement etc? I think I would like to go with .11s on the first setup, and go up from there if they sound to thin.. Here is a link to the OE40 in case no one is familar with them...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/113853

Re: Oscar Schmidt OE40 setup tips

That is similar to that 1955 Gibson ES-125 I had a few months ago.

The bridge moves around on felt pads. You just have to string it and set the intonation by moving the bridge.

What you have to do is move it so the majority of the strings have correct intonation. You will never get it perfect because it does not have individual saddles.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Care to give a review of that guitar? The pricetag is utterly insane. I'm just curious about the build quality and sound and all that.
    s'all goof.

I bought one of the OE-30s for $150 and for that kind of money you wouldn't expect much, but the build quality was pretty good, frets were well dressed, no obvious finish problems etc. After a little set up work it played nicely, and sounds pretty decent through my blues Jr. amp. The only thing I don't care for is the fret board is pretty flat (little or no radius).
    Ray

Forum Member

Thanks for the info all. I am having it setup now. I have hardly played it yet since the setup from the factory was pretty weak... Although it projects nicely and I bet with some 11s it will really wake it up. The Action was a little low so I am going to have it raised, and the intonation was off but the setup should fix all of that.

THe fit and finish on my guitar was great, there were a few blems but you can only see them if you are up close. All the frets are in great shape and the binding looks good. All the tone a volume nobs turn nice and smoothe and the pickup selector switch feels really firm. I did not notice on the back of one of the tuners some of the gold finish is wearing off a little. More to come once I get it back.

im just wondering if the saddle is perfectly straight? or if it's the new style thats has the groves cut in for better intonaition ? What I do, cause i own a few older harmonys etc. Is i meassure from the nut to the 12th fret. then I meassure from the 12th fret to the bridge on the 1 st string (high E) and it should be the the same distance between both. Of course, it's not allways perfectly correct but i find it's a good place to start when im placing the bridge back on. then just move it an tilt it etc to you get your sweet intonation

Forum Member

THanks for the info, the bridge does have grooves cut in it for the strings.

That price is incredible. It's certainly a good way to see if you're interested in that type of guitar.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    That price is incredible. It's certainly a good way to see if you're interested in that type of guitar.
    THe main reason I wanted it. I wanted to try a hollow body out, but did not want to pay 1000s for a gretch or gibson and this one got great reviews!