Thread: Thinking outside the box ... 3 pup wiring.

Thinking outside the box ... 3 pup wiring.

I bought a Warmoth 3 pup guitar. It has a standard 5 ways switch, 3 control knobs and 3 mini swithces. It is a hSH sent up, but is really HHH as it is running now. I actually like the pups so I am planning on leaving them alone- SD Jazz, SD Hot Stack and Dimarzio Air Norton.

The origional owner had it wired primarily for series/parallel type stuff off the 3 mini switches. I dislike that tone a lot! There is a serious drop in volume and it is just too thin for me. I have other bucker guitars with coil cuts, and while not wonderful, they can make usable tones.

So I was thinking I would ...

Jimmy Vaughan wiring for the 3 pups. This has the standard 5 way options for the 3 pups. One of the controls is volume, the other bridge tone and the last neck tone. Middle pup is tone knob free. The 3 mini switch would be used then for coil cuts.

Other ideas that would appeal to you here? I would go for something interesting.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Re: Thinking outside the box ... 3 pup wiring.

you could always do some sort of series/parralel thing a ma jig with one of those minis. like putting the bridge in series or parralel with itself.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

The other recent thread here really helped me some as well. I had not thought about a blender pot. The blender will be great for me here. Combined with the 3 mini's I have a buch of options here I had not thought about.

Dale
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

blender is cool for sure, i've done two so far. the first guy swears by it, and i have yet to hear to what the other guy thinks. i'll post the wiring schematics for the second one cause it's pretty cool and easy to do.

what it does:

normal five way, master vol and tone, third pot is blender, and a mini to throw the neck in or out of phase. seemed like a cool idea to me.

want to hear what you did with your guitar dale.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I will let you know. It is evolving.

Forum Member

so, the miniswitches are set for series/parellel, and there's a serious drop in volume and it's thin sounding? sounds like your pups are out of phase. i series, they should sound thicker, bassier, and more powerful, and in parellel they should have about the same output, just a different tone, but shouldn't sound thin. try switching the leads on the middle pup, see if you like the in-phase sound. i had a carvin once with splittable buckers, and in split mode they just didn't sound that great, and that made them lower output and a little thinner sounding too.

Forum Member

Hate to be the devil's advocate here, but I don't think I'd want to go hog wild with too many options. I personally would settle on a certain sound and stick with it. In a gigging situation, you don't want to do too much thinking about what switch does what and what sounds you'll come up with. I would prefer to keep things simple and instead concentrate on the tunes I'm playing. Of course, this is just my opinion and people are free to do as they wish. It's a free country (so far)!