Thread: Take It From The Top. The Musical Education of a TFF Dumb Ass.

Take It From The Top: The Musical Education of a TFF Dumb Ass.

Greetings TFF Gals and Guys,
    I thought this might be a good place for me to hang my hat for a while. I plan on making this thread a continual work in progress, as I will be for quite some time. I will update my progress on a weekly basis and fill you in on my current assignments. I'm looking forward to learning a whole lot from all of you, so please feel free to opine in when ever I strike a chord.

First a little background on my journey so far. I decided to learn how to play guitar just under a year ago with the help of a friend, freak, and oh ya musician. It's been 4 1/2 months since my first lesson. So far it's been fun, illuminating, and at times frustrating, a 4x12 Cab full of emotions.

The school I take lessons at start people off utilizing Mel Bay's Mastering The Guitar 1A book. To date I have been assigned and completed 56 pages of it. That places me right at The C Scale, The A note, High E string 5th fret and fingering chords and playing them as individual notes.

In conjuction with Bay's book additional assignments have covered the following territory: The Chords, Em, Am, D, A, C, E, F, G, Dm, Bb, B7, C7, D7, A7, E7, F7, Gm and A, D, E powercords. I can play all of these clean individually and almost all clean in transitioning from one chord to another. Furthermore, I have been introduced to I, IV, V progressions and can play them clean most of the time. In addition, I have recently started Major and Minor Bar Chords: F, G, A, B, C, D, E and can play them clean through B at the seventh fret. Beyond the 7th fret, I will need to modify my finger placement from standard, as I have very large hands and fat digits.

I am proficent in the following scales A and E pentatonic and the C scale. I just started working on C major scale today.

The school I attend believes in a good grounding in both theory and practical application so you can post both Tablature and Standard Musical Notation I can read both.

So far I have cut my teeth on about 8 songs which I can play with varying degrees of proficiency. That's about it in a nut shell.

Oh and special thanks to sinner who helped inspire this thread...moj

This Weeks Assignment: Starting June 24th: C Major Scale, A pentatonic Scale using Hammers and Pulloffs, Speed Study #4 Bay's book pg. 54, Blow Ye winds Pg. 55,Cruising sunset Pg. 56, Work on Twist and Shout and Suzi-Q, Major and Minor Bars, and work on string muting for Bar Cords.
    Last edited by mojo; 06-28-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Re: Take It From The Top. The Musical Education of a TFF Dumb Ass.

Additional Assignments from the beginning. Due to copy right laws I am unable to post Mel Bay assignments and will only post page numbers and excercises.

Last edited by mojo; 07-19-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Last edited by mojo; 07-19-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Last edited by mojo; 07-19-2005 at 08:59 PM.

Last edited by mojo; 07-19-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Dude, why are your chords upside-down?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I got some good work done this week.

Mel Bay:Velocity Study #4 pg. 54 and Blow, Ye Winds pg. 55 were performed adequately. I thought I sucked on the Velocity study so I will continue to work on it a bit more. Cruisin' Sunset pg# 56 I was much improved but still need significant work with my chord transitions while playing individual notes. I felt like I was stuck in glue. We will take another look at it next week.

Additional Assignments: I had a big break through on Twist and Shout this week. I'm with in a hairs breath of being up to speed on it. Starting to really sound like something. Suzi-Q is progressing nicely. Have another look see at it next week. The palm mute is killin' me. Bar chords are coming along, however the string muting has been problamatic while strumming. I am also experiencing hand fatigue after only a few minutes. Just repitition I'm sure, I'll get it. C Major went very well and I've already got the second position at the fifth fret down as well no worries.

This week: Bay; Revisit Cruisin' Sunset, Start Danny Boy Pg#57,

Additional Assignments: On A Pentatonic Play down 3 up 1, Bar chords continue excercise as illustrated, C major in position 2, The A Blues scale and 12 bar blues...That's about it for this week...moj
    Last edited by mojo; 07-19-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Offshore Angler,
    Dude, why are your chords upside-down?
    I'm a lefty, we do everything backwards. It's a great deal easier for me to transpose to a finger board with a left handed representation...moj
    Last edited by mojo; 07-04-2005 at 10:28 AM.

Forum Member

Keep it going Mojo..its all good...helps out others and all as well.

Warm-ups by sinner

Here's a neat little warm-up exercise and no theory required, just a little fretboard knowledge to understand my description. It's great for building finger strength, coordination skills, individual finger dexterity, precision, and develope right hand double picking skills. Do it very slowly and clean, then build up your speed to do as fast as you can but still clean.

Just begin anywhere on the 6th String (High E), the first fret if you like, or higher up the neck for easier stretches. The numbers below are the Finger to use, number 1 being the index finger and 4 the pinky. (Pardon me if I'm being overly simple here, not trying to offend anyone--actually I don't know how to write out real tab on a computer!). Go up the neck 1-2-3-4 one fret at a time (half-steps), then do the same on the next string till you reach the 6th String (Low E) then go back down. Remember to be aware of your picking hand too--double picking, nice and clean.

6th String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------
    5th String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------
    4th String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------
    3rd String--1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
    2nd String--1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
    1st String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------

Next Level: just working the 1, 2 fingers...

6th String--1-2------------
    5th String--1-2------------
    4th String--1-2------------
    3rd String--1-2------------
    2nd String--1-2------------
    1st String--1-2------------

then: the 2nd & 3rd finger workout

-----------2-3-----------
    -----------2-3----------
    -----------2-3----------
    -----------2-3----------
    -----------2-3----------

then: 3rd & 4th (pinky) workout:

-----------3-4----------
    -----------3-4---------
    -----------3-4---------
    -----------3-4--------
    -----------3-4--------
    -----------3-4---------

That's a good one to build up the independence & strength of the 3rd & 4th fingers. There are many levels to this excercise, I won't try to write them out till I learn how to do it on a computer better--but you get the idea, just up each fret, Chromatic notes all in a row, up the strings, working each finger. You can do your own combinations with this exercise, grouping fingers differently, working the weaker fingers to build strength.

Have fun, I'll check back here to see how you're doing so don't slack off--the Woodshed is fun! (I'll also try to type this sheet out better next time!)
    Last edited by mojo; 07-20-2005 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurks
    Keep it going Mojo..its all good...helps out others and all as well.
    Thank you for the encouragment. It's appreciated!...moj

Mel Bay: Cruisin' Sunset Pg. 56, I performed this much better. I still am not quite fast enough on the transitions. (This is a beginning Arpeggio so I should have known it would take a while to perfect.). Danny Boy Pg. 57 is almost complete, I am working on a more even presentation.

Additional Assignments: A Pentatonic 3 down, 1 up, C Major Second Position, A Blues Scale, E6 Bar Chords, 12 Bar Blues; I did a good job on all these. I still need to improve my speed on them though.

This weeks assignments, 7-9-05:

Additional assignments: A5 Bar Chords, both Major and Minor as depicted above. Riff A & B derived from the A blues Scale. Continue
    E6 Bars, A Pentatonic 3/1, 12 Bar Blues.

Mel Bay: Sharps Pg. 65-66, continue with Cruisin' Sunset Pg. 56, Danny Boy Pg. 57

Sorry I was late to post this week. I have been laid up for more than 10 days with some kind of bug. It's been hotter than shit in Sactown, definitely not a good time to have a respiratory infection...moj
    Last edited by mojo; 07-19-2005 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    Warm-ups

6th String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------
    5th String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------
    4th String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------
    3rd String--1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
    2nd String--1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
    1st String--1-2-3-4---------------------------------------

Next Level: just working the 1, 2 fingers...

6th String--1-2------------
    5th String--1-2------------
    4th String--1-2------------
    3rd String--1-2------------
    2nd String--1-2------------
    1st String--1-2------------

then: the 2nd & 3rd finger workout

-----------2-3----------
    -----------2-3----------
    -----------2-3----------
    -----------2-3----------

then: 3rd & 4th (pinky) workout:

-----------3-4----------
    -----------3-4---------
    -----------3-4---------
    -----------3-4--------
    -----------3-4--------
    -----------3-4---------
    Those warm-up excersizes are fine, but since you're going to be taking the time to play them, why not just warm up with something a little more musical like an actual scale. If it has to be 1,2,3,4, then at least do a chromatic scale. No sense in wasting time playing something that cannot be directly applied to making music.

Try this one.

E-----------4----5----6----7----8----------------------
    B----------------5----6----7----8----------------------
    G----------------5----6----7----8----------------------
    D---------------------6----7----8----9-----------------
    A--------------------------7----8----9----10-----------
    E--------------------------------8----9----10----11----

I have a problem with playing random notes in a pattern just because they're in a pattern. I feel that if you're going to pick up a guitar and do something with it, there should always be something musical about it. Just a personal opinion.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Thanks TB, I printed up your excercise and will incorporate it into my routine...moj

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Those warm-up excersizes are fine, but since you're going to be taking the time to play them, why not just warm up with something a little more musical like an actual scale. If it has to be 1,2,3,4, then at least do a chromatic scale. No sense in wasting time playing something that cannot be directly applied to making music.

Try this one.

E-----------4----5----6----7----8----------------------
    B----------------5----6----7----8----------------------
    G----------------5----6----7----8----------------------
    D---------------------6----7----8----9-----------------
    A--------------------------7----8----9----10-----------
    E--------------------------------8----9----10----11----

I have a problem with playing random notes in a pattern just because they're in a pattern. I feel that if you're going to pick up a guitar and do something with it, there should always be something musical about it. Just a personal opinion.

There IS no "right way to do it", amigo.

You just learn it and then let your backbone slip and take it where you need to. Where it wants to go. Your skill level and heart can deliver a tune in a perfect frame. You don't have to play like "u no hoo" to deliver the package in a beautiful wrap.

Don't let them make you feel like shit 'cause you don't play a precise, dry, intricate, technically impressive thingy-dingy. Just deliver the goods and make folks feel alive.

You can play for other guitar players, who will probably just "poo-poo" you , or you can play for the people who payed good money to boogey-down-n-rejoice. Step outside their daily perspective.

Yor Choyse
    Shine your light.

well said annie.

mojo,

i would like to share what i learned at college. my music professors all told me the same thing "you've got to learn the rules to break them". be sure to get a good grasp on what all this means that you're learning. but like annie said, remember who you're playing for.

i play for myself, and hope the people who come to see me enjoy it too. most of the time they do. so i guess i would also like to say to get into finding who you are as a musician. it took me awhile, but i made it. i'm still evolving, but we should always. right now i'm practicing playing some lead guitar. not shred city or solo type stuff, but melody and lead motifs. i usually play alot of rhythm guitar and counterpoint and harmony guitar stuff.

but music in all it's forms is the spice of life. keep up the good work and good luck on your schooling.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

My sentiments exactly. Keep it musical. If you're going to pick up the guitar and play or practice, keep it musical.

Annie D., chuckocaster, Tele-Bob,

I could'nt agree with you more. All the theory and mechanical competency in the world does not a musician make. Sure, you have to learn both theory and how to play your instrument. I think however, it's just as important to learn how to think outside the box. As Annie put it, " let your backbone slip and take it where you need to. Where it wants to go." That's a pretty eloquent definition of Heart & Soul. All the Great Ones have that one intangible, that's what makes them so special.

That said, I wanted to learn how to play guitar, not to impress anyone. I want to find another way to express myself, to explore uncharted territory. I'm doing this for me. This is a journey of discovery...a journey to see if that fire in my belly is more than just indigestion.

My instructor Ken, is doing a pretty good job of keeping it musical, I think. Some things though tend to be dry and repetitive. I don't know if there is a way around that, when your working on developing your chops. Like chuckocaster said "you've got to learn the rules to break them". Some things just are, I guess. Anyway just this week after I finished up with the A Blues Scale and the riffs located a bit up the thread, we got started on improvised solo's on 12 Bar. Probably the most fun I've had on the guitar to date. Kens only instruction was " try and feel your way through it" It was a very cool experience....moj :blbros
    Last edited by mojo; 07-19-2005 at 09:30 PM.

right on man!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Have fun! You've got the right attitude! The journey will be as joyous or painful as you make it. See ya in the "Jam Zone".

7-16-05

Mel Bay: Cruisin Sunset Pg. 56, Danny Boy Pg. 57, Sharps Pg. 65-66 all satisfactorily completed.

Additional Assignments: A5, E6 Bars are coming along. I'm competent
    in A Blues Scale, the two Riffs depicted above, A Pentatonic 3 up, 1 down and I have memorized 12 Bar blues.

This Weeks Assignments:

Mel Bay: Xiomara Pg. 67

Additional Assignments: Continue with A5, E6 Chord Progressions, 12 Bar Blues, and review past lessons.

I have started improvised Solo's using the Riffs I learned these past few weeks. As you may have surmised I am slowing down just a bit, probably for the next couple of weeks in order to consolidate what I have learned. At times I have been somewhat overwhelmed by the sheer volume of different things I have been working on and this damned respiratory infection I've contracted hasn't helped. Hopefully I can put this illness to bed for good and recharge my batteries...moj
    Last edited by mojo; 07-22-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Unfortunately I did'nt get much done this last week. Some review in the archives book, started Xiomara Pg. 67, A5, E6 Bars, 12 Bar blues, C scale 1st and 2nd position, A Blues Scale and the two riffs. I felt like an idiot in my lesson today. I would'nt have been any dumber if you cut my head off. I just wasn't prepared at all, and it really showed.

If I thought I was going to get cut a break this week I was sorely mistaken.

Assignments for the week of: 7-22-05

Mel Bay: Review Irish Mist Pg.42, Finish up Xiomara Pg. 67, Acres of Bluegrass Pg. 67.

Additional Assignments: Continue A5, E6 Bars, 12 Bar blues, C scale 1st and 2nd position, A Blues Scale and the two riffs. Work on Oh Darling, Start Fundamentals of Chord Construction, Learn A7, G7, B Diminished Chords.
    Last edited by mojo; 09-17-2005 at 07:53 PM.