Thread: acoustic string plug fun

acoustic bridge pin fun

Well without reasearch I am calling the bridge string retainers the "string plugs" on an acoustic guitar - must be a real name I will find that out in a few moments I am sure. My Mom had an acoustic guitar stored in her closet for 30 years - it had never been played - go figure, no one knows why as she does not play - but at any rate she gave it to my son this weekend. We went to change the strings and when I used the string winder tool to "pop" out the "string plugs" one snapped in two. 1/2 in and 1/2 popped out. The others are not wanting to come out with the string winder tool thing. I am guessing I should carefully drill out the broken piece from the bridge - or perhaps use an easy out in the slot? What is the best made "string plug" popper out there? I am going to get all new plastic plugs and buy a new tool to fix this one up. Any suggestions on this minor operation coming up would be welcome.

The guitar is not an expensive guitar, perhaps cheap as do dah, I do not know - it is a "Carlos" has steel strings - and I believe was made in Korea. But it will do great for my 12 year old to play on as he grows into other gear.

Last edited by Skip; 06-27-2005 at 07:42 AM. Reason: idiocy without bounds

Re: acoustic string plug fun

They are called "Bridge Pins". I would VERY careful about drilling. I had an old acoustic that did the same thing. The bridge pin puller would rip the heads right off. I am not sure there is an easier way, but be careful! You can get replacement pins real easy.

Cut all the strings off, and tap the bridge pin loose gently from inside the guitar.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

:yay thanks for the tips - bridge pins - I knew that :lol
    from the inside out... now that makes good sense! Thanks gents, I'll let you know how it goes!

it's bridge pins and butt plugs, Skipper......you've gotta quit letting your mind wander when you're working on things

Check the nut and saddle. Both can be replaced cheaply and make an otherwise
    crappy guitar play pretty good.

Carlos was made from about 1976 to 1980 based on copies of Martin and imported by Coast Wholesale Music. There are two models listed in the 04 Price Guide.
    Model 240- (D-18 copy) with mahogany (laminate?) back and sides and a solid Spruce top $150-$300 in EXC condition.

Model 275- (D-35) copy with rosewood (laminate?) back and sides, 3 piece back, spruce top $175-$350 in EXC condition.

Enjoy!
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie
    Check the nut and saddle. Both can be replaced cheaply and make an otherwise
    crappy guitar play pretty good.
    For great nuts, saddles and pins check here: http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

thanks gents -

the Carlos is a laminated back with veneer - top seems to be the spruce
    I was easily able to follow Kapn's lead and do the inside out pop. I replaced all the BRIDGE PINS with new ones (black instead or white - Daniel thinks that is way cool) put some Martin Extra lights 10's on it and it tuned up OK.

I think that it will be ther campfire guitar of the future!

Thanks for all the tips and ideas Anthony, Kapn and Moonpie!

PIE this Carlos is Model 250(found this on the paper in the indside which one can view through the sound hole) It is from the late seventies if we recall things correctly around the family table as it were. Actually it plays pretty good. I think Mom bought it from a woman who worked for her who got over extended and needed the money at the time - We were thinking not so expensive. It is actually in brand new condition as it has been stored in the shipping box until last weekend. Daniel is playing it along with the strat nearly non-stop.
    Last edited by Skip; 06-28-2005 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Detailed Reply to Pie the Guitar MAN

Forum Member

I have given you solution at that time and now I am logging in after years and forget my username and password, so I am here and hope your kid is turned up to be a great guitar player and doing well in his field, and If you are looking to gift him a fender guitar do let me know I have some customized option for Fender guitar saddle