Thread: Musicmaster Bass for guitar

Musicmaster Bass for guitar

in February of this year, I wandered into a local guitar store and saw this little amp. It had two little power tubes and one preamp tube. Some heretic had put a Peavey scorpion speaker in it. The power tubes were 6QB5A aka JAN6005W, the preamp a 12AX7. I played a bass through it, and for a lark, played a guitar. It sounded way better for guitar, so I bought it. I installed a Weber Blue Dog ceramic 12, and new tubes. I had a tech check it out and put in the tubes. Its a great little screamer of an amp, gets loud enough for jams. Haven't played with a drummer yet, but it might be able to keep up with a light touch player. It buzzes a little on axis when not playing, but not noticeable when sound is going. I think this amp is probably around '74 or so, nearly the same vintage as my Princeton Reverb which I bought new. Has any board members tried one of these Musicmaster Bass amps as a guitar amp?

Dan

Sorry, no answer for ya, but I was thinking the same thing when I saw a lot of these amps on Ebay recently. I know lots of guitarists like the Fender Bassman for guitar, so why not? I have a 70's Musicmaster bass guitar, has a 6 pole pup under that black cover...fun to play but lacks a true bass tone. Enjoy the amp!
    Hopeless modaholic...