Thread: Rising Low...

Rising Low...

Finally bought and watched the Govt Mule "Rising Low" made by the filmaker/bassplayer, Mike Gordon (Phish). I loved it and glad I own a copy. Truly made me MORE proud to be bass player. Some of the commentary felt a bit hoky at first, but I got to like it. The DVD is a great tribute to Woody and true celebration of the low end.

Spose, the tone Oteil and the Phish guy get from a Modulus is quite nice. I can see why you want a Quantum 5. Makes me wish I didn't pass on a cheap Quantum 6 that crossed my path recently.

The Larry Graham, Rocco Prestia, Squire, and George Porter performance were the most satisfying for me...but TOO short!!! As was his life, the Entwistle appearance was way too brief.

The one dissapointment was that there wasn't an additional DVD for each studio performance unedited. (In the same visit to the DVD store, for the same price, I picked up the Pavement documentary that features not only an hour long documentary, but also all of their videos (10+) and two whole live shows with a choice of two different camera angles and other special features!!!) Maybe, another DVD release is in order. (*Click* Note to Haynes/Gordon: Must release more performance footage. *Click*)
    :)

I think I read some where that Arkenstat was a joke. Great shades though! Gordon is a whacko and I could have dealt with more voiceovers instead appearances. I was sort of expecting to see Newstead play too, but oh well. A vol II is definetly in order. :)

Would have hated to have been Bootsy's roadie. Jeez!
    Rocco's playing wow! (Reminds me that I definetly need to donate more to his medical fund!)

In some ways the movie was sort of a "Waking Life" for bass? Don't you think? ;)