Thread: The show's just a week away....

The show's just a week away....

...and this afternoon, we brought some of the blistering heat outside into the air-conditioned rehearsal space with three hours of fine (just about tight enough for me) rehearsal.

My new Genz-Benz Diablo 60 combo is a friggin' dream. Just like Tele-Bob's Rivera, the more it heats up the better that 12" deep cabinet sounds. YUM! YUM!

So...just a reminder...if you live anywhere near to Phillie...Phoenixville is 30 minutes north east of downtown. I'd love to see some TFF bretheren there...AND I've got Blues Recruits T-shirts to give away!

The show starts at 8:30.

Here's the link again:
    www.steelcitycoffeehouse.com

Hope you can make it.

Re: The show's just a week away....

OK, so where's the gig report? Huh? What happened man?
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I tried to reach you by phone at home Saturday night but Mrs. T-B reminded me that you were in Peekskill.

So...apart from getting some very weird news (see Breaking News) literally a minute before I got on stage, the gig went smoothly. Although JUST like the CT Recruits gig, the drum solo had its problems.

It was wonderful to have a keyboard player to break things up between dueling guitars. The Genz-Benz was a dream on stage...carried the room quite nicely.
    The audience seemed to really dig the new set which had several more twist your pelvis, Chicago type beats and was peppered with more olde tyme Rock'n Roll than before. The 3 tune "middle set", with just acoustic guitar and bass was very well received....more so than last year, I think.

Bad news is that no women took off their clothes, although there was plenty of hooting and hollering and a general "GET DOWN" attitude coming from the floor.
    I think it worked.

THIS drummer though...I'm not using him again. He forgets way too much. No major F-ups, but I like it to come over like it was rehearsed. I think Gus spoiled me....
    Anyway, Bob, you were nonetheless missed...but had you been in the audience you would have nodded your approval, I'm sure.

That's cool man! Glad to hear things went well. Maybe next year we'll do it again but have no rehearsals. Just pass out the CDs and tell everyone to learn it just like that. We'll show up and just get it done. If everyone does their homework it won't be a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Maybe next year we'll do it again but have no rehearsals. Just pass out the CDs and tell everyone to learn it just like that. We'll show up and just get it done. If everyone does their homework it won't be a problem at all.
    I KNOW you're joking!

I'm not joking FenderBoy. I have been gigging with an 8 piece band lately and have not had a single rehearsal nor do I intend to. The band is real tight and you'd never know we don't rehearse. Everyone does their homework at home and knows their parts cold when they show up for the gig. I never thought this was possible, but it is and I love the fact that I can be in a great band that requires little or no maintenance.

OK...so it's POSSIBLE...but me, Mr. Anxiety, wouldn't be comfortable without at least two rehearsals.

You know, I do tunes that aren't always that familiar and I bend them a bit...and talk to the audience and stretch shit here and there without notice....and it's getting to be more that way.
    That kind of performance requires that band members know more than just the tunes.

But, I see your point and agree to some extent.

WAIT A MINUTE!

Are you trying to get in ANOTHER band?

LOL

P.S. Read the Breaking News thread, T-B. It's what I called you about.

The thing is FB, that if the band has the tunes down cold, you can take it places during the song and make it your own provided that everyone knows that going in. The 8 piece band I play with messes with the arrangements on some songs, but the band leader and players are so good, they just follow along and it sounds like we worked it all out in advance. If you feel strong enough as a band leader, a group of seasoned players who are willing to follow you will have no problem pulling it off. I can't believe I'm saying this after how opposed to this very idea I have been in the past. But when the players are good, and the band leader is good, the possibilities are endless. I do agree that taking two marathon rehearsal sessions is a good idea just so the band learns eachothers cues and learns to breathe together, but with the right players, this can be a lot of fun with minimal, or no rehearsals.