Thread: 58 or 59

Forum Member

58 or 59

If i wanted pickups that are similar to what was in the 58 or 59 American Strat, what would i buy?

I have an American Deluxe Strat and a Twin Amp, and Im thinking I need new pickups to get like a "yellow ledbetter" type of tone... the deluxe has SCNs..

what do the experts think?

Thanks
    "The guitar is a miniature orchestra in itself" - Beethoven
    Musical Insturments

Re: 58 or 59

I like Seymour Duncan Antiquities alot. Fralins are great too. There are many excellent choices but it will all come down to how the p'ups act once they're in your guitar.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

hmm, has anyone ever tried these:

Original '57/'62 Strat® Pickups
    Musical Insturments

Forum Member

just talked to the guy at JMI music and we were discussing doing a pup swap on my deluxe, seems the way to go is a prewired pickguard... the pups i wanted to buy have 2 wires coming off each pup, and i looked at the wiring diagram for my strat and my pups have 3 wires coming off the pup, so i either get a loaded PG or just keep it as it... we shall see
    Musical Insturments

Quote Originally Posted by manilaboy1vic
    hmm, has anyone ever tried these:
    Original '57/'62 Strat® Pickups
    That's what I'm using in my old '57 RI. The newer version of the 57/62's with the beveled magnets are great sounding pickups. Most people skip them in favor of the higher priced spread (I actually had to be talked into trying them. I was at the store to buy a set of Fralins and the tech asked me to try the 57/62's first) but they are incredible sounding pickups. The middle pickup is not RWRP, so there is no hum cancelling in pos. 2&4, but if you can live with that they deliver a beautiful classic Strat tone. I've owned this Strat for over 20 years and I've used a dozen different sets of pickups in her. I put the 57/62's in a couple of years ago and have had no desire for anything else. Plus the price is right.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarG
    The middle pickup is not RWRP, so there is no hum cancelling in pos. 2&4, but if you can live with that they deliver a beautiful classic Strat tone.
    I actually think the in-between's sound better this way.:yay

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

You and I agree a lot on pickupular issues Fezz. Non RWRP mixed settings are the sland as far as I'm concerned, there's something nastier in the tone, and I likes that kind of nasty.

fezz parka

It's quackier!(if that's a word:hee)

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

YOu are correct Fezz, greatly enhanced Quackage

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarG
    That's what I'm using in my old '57 RI. The newer version of the 57/62's with the beveled magnets are great sounding pickups. Most people skip them in favor of the higher priced spread (I actually had to be talked into trying them. I was at the store to buy a set of Fralins and the tech asked me to try the 57/62's first) but they are incredible sounding pickups. The middle pickup is not RWRP, so there is no hum cancelling in pos. 2&4, but if you can live with that they deliver a beautiful classic Strat tone. I've owned this Strat for over 20 years and I've used a dozen different sets of pickups in her. I put the 57/62's in a couple of years ago and have had no desire for anything else. Plus the price is right.

im a newbie when it comes to pups, so, RWRP is not in my vocab.
    but i liked the Idea of the Originals to get that original vintage strat sound... any ideas where i can buy a Pearl White Pickguard wired with originals :p
    Musical Insturments

Quote Originally Posted by tonemonkey
    YOu are correct Fezz, greatly enhanced Quackage
    You got it Fezz. When I am looking to maximize the squank I enjoy the enhanced quackage of the non RWRP setup. :rl
    manilaboy1vic,
    RWRP refers to a Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity middle pickup. In a strat setup a RWRP sounds the same by itself but when used with another pickup, switch positions 2 & 4, it provides noise cancelling.
    Speaking of squank, lately I've been having using a HBE Germania treble booster on a few tunes. Using that in front of a cranked up Fender amp will deliver squankage in spades. Big time fun.

fezz parka

I really dig the squankosity of the Strat in "Sweet Home Alabama". You can't get that sound from a RWRP middle pickup for the in-betweens. The same goes for early Claptonian Squankosity, on both Squanky Brownie and Squanky Blackie. It disappeared during the dark times of Laceonian rule.

True so true. Nary a trace of that sweet squankosity could be found during those dark days of Laceonia. But still the faithful kept hope, that again someone would rise above the Laceonian din and serenade the masses with the sweet sounds of squanktitude.

fezz parka

The word spread of a new order, The Knights of Squankonia. From across the ocean, Sir Tonemonkius was wielding his mighty Squankocaster. In the south, in the city by the bay, Sir George of Catfishius soothed the ears of the huddled masses with sweet sounds of squanktitude. In the west, Sir Fezzius sounded the battle cry with his Squank-o-tele. The battle has begun...

My lords of Squanklitude, I bring grave news from the old world. Our lord who art Clapton (hallowed be his past sqank, and quackage) seems to have forgotten his axe (no longer alas and alack the sqanklitudonal blackie) hath a pickup selector, with which to achieve the squankage that we long for, for on his recent forrays into the world, we have been granted the pleasure of the plummy neck position, but nary the squanklitudional-loveliness we desire.

I am sorry to be the bearer of such grave news,

yours,

sir tonemonkius

Forum Member

so anyone know of a good site with loaded PGs?
    Musical Insturments

fezz parka

I load my own.:hee

Never looked on the web or anything, but I saw an ad for a place called "Acme" that sells prewired stuff.

Wonder if they sell these too?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks