Thread: brown twin...quick answers coveted

brown twin...quick answers coveted

I just had a guy come into the store looking to sell a brown twin...he says it's a 61 with 2 10" speakers. One of them is original one is not. He's had a local builder go over it (so he says) and he's looking for between $1200 and $1800 for it (canadian).

Does his story line up? Were browns made in 61? Is this amp closer to a tweed twin or a BF twin. I dig the tweed Bassman RI and I'm thinking of ordering one soon.

Let me know what you all think.
    Finally...a forum for REAL guitars.

Forum Member

brown twin

hi!
    yes, they made them in 1961 - but twins always used a pair of 12" speakers - not 10".
    if it´s a legit twin - the price is a STEAL!
    the brown amps are actually right between tweed and bf soundwise - it´s not gonna be like a bassman, though...
    anyway, if it´s for real - buy it!
    cheers - C.
    p.s.: check out this url for more info
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/index.html

the guys was a fool....it was a super....and not worth that much to me anyway.

Forum Member
    FatStrat, brownface Supers are SCREAMERS when set up right! If the speakers & trannies are original thats a good price. That amp will only go up in value.

yeah but a cash sale is not in the books right now. I'm going to be financing the next amp I buy. Also, the original speakers are not in it and only one would be included. And I'm pretty dubious as to whether the tolex on this amp is new. I'd like to see a picture of a new one to know for sure.

as well....i think after some breif searching this is a tweed super
    here is a pic of a brown super

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/super_brown_62f.jpg

And here is a tweed super

http://wug.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/...ix/58Super.jpg

The super I have in my possesion right now has the tweed plate on the front, controls are top mounted with chickenhead knobs and has some poorly done brown tolex similar to that leathery stuff used by mesa/boogie. It's certainlty not original...
    Last edited by FatStrat; 10-31-2002 at 03:51 PM.

Forum Member

Brown Super

Am original Brown Super is IMO the best amp Fender ever made. Yes I have owned and I service Tweed Bassmans and Vibroverbs regularly. The Brownface Super has multi tube Vibrato and has, when properly maintained the ability to go from Fender to Marshall with the twist of your guitar volume knob. It doesn't get much better than that. It is probably worth noting that I detest reverb. Clean and original Brown Supers are trading in the 2k+ range.

Best Blues,
    Cookie

if it was a REAL borwn super it would be kewl. It's not.

Forum Member
    Cookie,

I have a brown Super, a '61, and I agree that it is a great amp. Mine REALLY cranks some volume, especially the lows. I can't hardly find speakers that will handle the power. This particular Super has a factory original SS rectifier and the power tranny is also original with no secondary for a tube recitfier. It's the power tranny from the twins of the era.

I tried Reverend Alltone 10's, supposed to be 30 watts, they couldn't handle the power. They would have blown if I had left them in. I now have Celestion Vintage 10's in it. They handle the power and sound decent, but obviously not like the origianls would have. I suspect the originals are not with it because the amp probably blew them up long ago.

Any speaker suggestions for me?

Birdseye, a lot of people seem to love Webers. You could ask about what might work with your amp at the Weber forum: http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html

Forum Member
    birdseye, i have a 62 bandmaster and 63 tremolux with nos 7581a power(military 6l6gc) and both produce a LOT of bass!! i run these into 4x12 and 2x10-2x12(mixed)........the plain 2x10 and 2x12 cabs will not produce what this 4 speaker set up will...........almost as loud as my 71 marshall small box 50 too! jcs

Forum Member

Birdseye, give these a try

Weber California Alnicos, ya I know they aren't cheap, but they ire incredible sounding and will handle the power. I use a CA Alnico in my Sewell as well as under my Crumbler Jr Head.

Best Blues,
    Cookie