Thread: 4 track or new more competent sound card?

4 track or new more competent sound card?

I'm looking to get some of my ideas down and 4 tracks seem to be the cheapest and easiest way to go but I'd love to be able to plug into my sound card and go too. My sound cards a cheap SB live value and none of the inputs or outputs work except for the front panel headphone out. Ideally I'd like a card with a bunch of 1/4" ins and one basic output. I don't need incredible sound quality either way but I'd like to start getting tracks done. Anyone?

Re: 4 track or new more competent sound card?

I use a small Beringer Eurorack MX602A mixer to input into the inputs of my sound board, and that set up is working for me. You don't need a real high end sound board to get decent sound quality. I'm using the one that came stock in my Compaq computer. I use cakewalk home studio for the software. The mixer cost about $60 and software $99.00. Not a huge investment, and I can get more tracks than I'll ever use.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Folk_guy
    I use a small Beringer Eurorack MX602A mixer to input into the inputs of my sound board, and that set up is working for me. You don't need a real high end sound board to get decent sound quality. I'm using the one that came stock in my Compaq computer. I use cakewalk home studio for the software. The mixer cost about $60 and software $99.00. Not a huge investment, and I can get more tracks than I'll ever use.
    thanks man! i think im gunna go with that solution. i gotta get a new sound card but im just gunnna get another cheap one thatll hold me till i get some real loot.

ALl you need is one input, two if you wanna record in stereo. almost all soundcards have that. Use a mixer for more channels. To record more channels simultaneously you'll need to go with a digital unti that you can attach via USB or Firewire. Those can be rather expensive.

Either way the old four track is not of much value as they are a dead end not being scalable

fezz parka

There's nothing wrong with recording to a Sound Blaster Live card. It'll do 16 bit 48 or 44.1khz. Get the Krystal Audio Engine (it's multitrack freeware) and a cheap mixer and you're off to the races.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    There's nothing wrong with recording to a Sound Blaster Live card. It'll do 16 bit 48 or 44.1khz. Get the Krystal Audio Engine (it's multitrack freeware) and a cheap mixer and you're off to the races.
    yea, i recorded with it a long time ago and the card was fine for the application, but mines broken..thats the only reason im wondering if i should get a replacement sound card to go with a small mixer and software or just get a 4 track. computer it is.