Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Strat Song?

Wowzers. Even if I put a whole week into thinking about this question, I don't imagine I could answer it.

:)
    --Carson

http://www.riscchip.com

Some of the early Deep Purple stuff like 'Emmeretta', 'April', 'Hard Road (Wring that Neck)', 'The Shield', 'Hey Joe', etc. contain some sublime Strat tones. If you can find the (non-remastered) compilation 'Purple Passages', get it! But steer clear of the 'remastered' first three albums - I bought one, and the sound quality was awful.

Deneva

Layla.

And pretty much that entire album.
    Last edited by sunburst; 10-29-2002 at 06:08 AM.

Forum Member
    1. Buddy Guy: First time I met the blues
    2. Pee Wee Crayton: you know yeah
    3. Dire straits: Down by waterline

Forum Member
    Little Wing (SRV)

Forum Member
    That's a hard call,

I can only answer by saying what I'm currently getting into and that would be RORY GALLAGHER -BBC SESSIOS .His Live version of GARBARGEMAN is my pick (this week anyway),That's how you play a Strat through a Twin on 11 and no effects.

Watto

Forum Member
    I love "Red House" by jimi hendrix, and the one by buddy guy, thats good stuff man!

Forum Member
    I agree with most of the previous posts, but was surprised to see three great players not mentioned, David Gilmour, Billy Gibbons, and Jeff Beck. Gilmour has always had great Strat tone especially on Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. Billy Gibbons' Strat tone on some of his early stuff just kills me. Chevrolet from Rio Grande Mud, and Jesus Just Left Chicago from Tres Hombres spring to mind. But at this very moment my personal favorite Strat song is Goodbye Porkpie Hat, by Jeff Beck, off Wired. Awesome Strat/Marshall tone, use of all the pickup selections, tasty trem work, volume swells, etc. Listen close through headphones and you can hear Jeff flipping the pickup switch, the trem springs creeking, and that good ol Strat hum, it doesn't get much more "Stratty" than that. He even kicks on an Octavia...and of course Beck's playing is awesome.

Forum Member
    Correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure im right....Billy Gibbons used a les paul on the early stuff. "Jesus just left chicago" was a les paul as was "la grange". He started using a strat in the studio for the "el loco" album

my favorite strat song is probably "little wing" from hendrix's "axis-bold as love album"

Several of my favorites have already been mentioned, but here is one that is an absolute strat tone clinic in itself.

Goodbye pork pie hat

Jeff Beck, Wired

Honourable mentions include

'Lenny', SRV

Sleepwalk, Larry Carlton (Valley Arts Strat)

Wind Cries Mary, Hendrix

Nile Rodgers , all his rythyms with Chic.

Last edited by Tonedrip; 11-12-2003 at 06:41 PM.
    Tonedrip

"The shrink said I'm Tonal retentive".

Forum Member
    The only ZZ Top album that is 100% Les Paul is ZZ Top's First Album. Billy G. started using a Strat on a few tunes from their 2nd album called Rio Grande Mud. One song is titled Apologies to Pearly which is an instrumental with Billy tearin' it up on a Strat. The title is Billy aplogizing to his Les Paul, "Pearly Gates" for being unfaithful. Legend has it that Billy's favorite Strat is a circa '58 Salmon Pink, Maple Neck Strat given to him by one Jimi Hendrix when Gibbons' pre-ZZ band, The Moving Sidewalks, toured around Texas with the Experience in 1968.

By the way...

If Jesus Just Left Chicago was played with a Les Paul, then Clapton used a Rickenbaker on Spoonful...:tw59

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shamster
    Metallica's version of Little Wing? OMG!!!

I'm removing my ears now. A bit of primative self-surgery, just in case I cross paths with that.
    I can't imagine Mr Hetfield singing those lyrics, or that melody.
    "Butterfliiiieeezz-aand-a zeeeebrazzz-a..." Yikes.

How about "Midnight At The Oasis?"- I think that's a Strat Amos Garret's playing.

"Flying Cowboys" by Rickie Lee Jones- really cool repeating detuned lick through all the verses. Not sure who played it.

"Why Must I Plead" -Richard Thompson

I love John Leventhal's playing and his Strat sound on Shawn Colvin's and his wife's records. "Diamond In the Rough" & "Climb On" are two faves. Underrated.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member
    Lee Roy Parnell - On the Road. Best Strat tone I ever heard. Except for mine.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeoFauve
    [i]Originally posted by shamster
    ow about "Midnight At The Oasis?"- I think that's a Strat Amos Garret's playing.

Amos lives just down the road from where I am. I've never seen him without a Tele. I quite sure that tone on Midnight at the Oasis is from the front pick up of a Tele. Sure is sweet anyhow.
    Tonedrip

Originally posted by NeoFauve

Metallica's version of Little Wing? OMG!!!

I'm removing my ears now. A bit of primative self-surgery, just in case I cross paths with that.
    I can't imagine Mr Hetfield singing those lyrics, or that melody.
    "Butterfliiiieeezz-aand-a zeeeebrazzz-a..." Yikes.

:LC YES!!!
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    My first thought was Hendrix's "Hey Joe" (the intro alone is strat tone heaven)
    Also,
    "Pride and Joy" - SRV
    "Sweet Home Alabama" - Skynyrd
    "The Core"- Clapton,
    "Daydream" - Robin Trower (live)
    "Cradle Rock" - Rory Gallagher
    "Comfortably Numb" - Floyd
    ...the list goes on
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Originally posted by LightninBoy
    How about a Top 10

1. Machine Gun / Jimi
    2. Bold As Love / Jimi
    3. Little Wing / Jimi
    4. May This be Love / Jimi
    5. One Rainy Wish / Jimi
    6. Lenny / SRV
    7. Riveria Paradise / SRV
    8. Savannah Woman / Tommy Bolin
    9. Bellbottom Blues / Clapton
    10. Swamp Music / Lynard Skynard
    Very nice list (at least the first 7, I don't know the last 3). I might have moved Bold As Love to the one spot for pure tone, but why quibble? I'm really glad to see One Rainy Wish mentioned - I just love all the tones on that song. The flanged tones on that song are as good as it gets for me.

Forum Member
    For my very first post at this board I would like to submit the following Strat song:

Lazy by Deep Purple (Ritiche Blackmore)

Was always a big fan of his. I would go as far say to that the Made in Japan album is the reason I started playing the guitar.
    (yup, blame him. LOL)

Originally posted by genelovesjez
    Very nice list (at least the first 7, I don't know the last 3). I might have moved Bold As Love to the one spot for pure tone, but why quibble? I'm really glad to see One Rainy Wish mentioned - I just love all the tones on that song. The flanged tones on that song are as good as it gets for me.
    Thanks - Tommy Bolin's stuff is worth checking out if you get the chance - great Strat player.
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Originally posted by LightninBoy
    Thanks - Tommy Bolin's stuff is worth checking out if you get the chance - great Strat player.
    Nice to hear mention of Tommy , he was ahead of his time. Check out his playing on Billy Cobham's Spectrum album from the early 70's fusion era.
    Tonedrip

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    The Spectrum album is incredible. Tommy Bolin was also on a couple James Gang albums (post Walsh) and was a replacement for Ritchie Blackmore in one of the Deep Purple incarnations.

Consider he did all of this AND had a solo career by the time he died of a drug overdose at age 26.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

At my age, and being English....... It's got to be Apache by the Shadows......Pure nostalgia..... And it was the very first Strat sound to make a big impact on the UK market... No UK player who was around at the begining of the 60's will ever forget that one.
    Phil.

Forum Member
    Looks like Jimi And SRV still rule the roost. My first thought, and Ill stick with it, is SRV's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" just because he and Jimmie combine for one of the snakiest all time rhythms featured in the intro. Robbie Robertson has not been mentioned but some of his stuff blows me away. My pick in this thread would probably change evry ten minutes or so.

Forum Member

Re: Favorite Strat Song?

Originally posted by ShawnRT
    Well now that we have a list going of everyone's favorite Strat Player, what about everyone's favorite strat tune?

I've seen a lot or people mention hendrix. I've been playing for 33 years and never took him seriously. Didn't that idiot burn a Fender on stage?

Surprised nobody's mentioned Eric Johnson yet. So I will.

If I had to pick one tune as projecting the essence of what I love about Strats, it would be "Trademark."

Honorable mention: Leni Stern's "Closer to the light" -- whole CD -- she and Wayne Krantz make a very strong case for the Strat as a jazz guitar on that record.

I think the ones that grab me right quick are:

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
    Rumble - Link Wray
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Forum Member
    Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
    Manhattan - Eric Johnson
    I can hear your heartbeat - Chris Rea
    Pride & Joy - SRV
    Little Wing - Jimi
    Layla - EC
    Alive In An Ultra World - Steve Vai (yes! he played one on that!)
    Something to talk about - Bonnie Raitt
    Misirlou - Dick Dale
    Apache - Hank Marvin
    That´ll be the day - Buddy Holly

Jimi - Little Wing
    Stevie - Lenny

Forum Member
    The first Start song to make me pay attention to Strat tone, was`Like a rollin` Stone`live at Monterey. I had a Gibson SG at the time, and immediately sold it for a Strat. That song made the hair on my neck stand up,,,,`If I could bore you for 6 or 7 minutes,,,scuze me while i play my guitar!!`

CT.

Forum Member
    CHerub rock/ The Smashing Pumpkins

"O My Soul" by Big Star is my personal fave.

2 catagories

We need 2 catagories;

clean - Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
    dirty - Jeff Beck - Wired
    Carry On!

John