Thread: learning theory?

learning theory?

"in a major progression the 2,3 & 6 chords are pretty much gonna be minors, the 4 and 5 major, and the 7th diminished"

I cut that from another thread. I want to find a website, a book, or something were I can learn all that useful stuff. I know intervals, chord formation and a few couple of things, I want to learn more .

Anybody can tell me were? I also would llike to find more scales to use. I´m always using the same things. If you know about a good book, even a hard or long one, It would be ok to me.

And, I would be great if someone would complete this:
    "in a minor progression the chords 2,3,4,5,6,7 ...."
    Let me taste again your flowers,
    drown me deep into your madness,
    once again!!!

Re: learning theory?

That would be a b3.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Click here.

Browse the store. :yay

The information in your first post here is enough to keep you busy for years if you know what to do with it.

Start with your 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and then go 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 and then 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 and so on.

The scales associated with each chord type are the foundation for all the learning that takes place once you have learned these basics.

Rather than take on too much information all at once, try working with what you have already and then move forward to more complex stuff. Theory is great if you're at a point where you can apply it. If you're not there yet, it's only "information out of context" and it won't do you much good.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

"in a major progression the 2,3 & 6 chords are pretty much gonna be minors, the 4 and 5 major, and the 7th diminished"

Well, now I´m not even sure if I was understanding you. I don´t really know what is a progression. I thought you were just saying that if the song is major, the chords 2,3,6 would be minor and 4 and 5 major. Then what I was trying to ask was: in a minor song, can you with theory know what chord wold fit in minor and mayor?

If I´m not making sense, please kill this thread!!!
    once again!!!

LOL! You're making perfect sense.

And, yes, if you are playing in a minor key all of the above still applies. It starts to get tricky when you get into chord progressions because you need to see how the chords are laid out. Basically, in a song like "All Along the Watchtower" Jimi Hendrix plays his solos from the "6 minor".

He does this because the scale fits over the chords Am, G and F with the right intervals.

If Am is 6, G is 5 and F is 4 then you can follow the chords down to their root, C.

C=1, D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5, A=6, B=7

or maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, 1/2 dim

Is this making sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Is this making sense?
    Sure, but Hendrix' Watchtower wasn't in Am. ;)
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

LOL! I wasn't sure. I have played in in so many different keys and not played along with the recording in so long, that I forgot. Well, if it's not in C, then it must be G. Or is it Em? Maybe I should step aside before I confuse the poor guy. I kinda know what I'm doing, but my theory is not very strong.

LOL! I wasn't sure. I have played in in so many different keys and not played along with the recording in so long, that I forgot. Well, if it's not in C, then it must be G. Or is it Em? Maybe I should step aside before I confuse the poor guy. I kinda know what I'm doing, but my theory is not very strong.
    No your theory is right, at least, that's the way I relate to it. I usually play Watchtower in Cm.
    orange picks

All right TB, I did my homeworks and this is what I found out. The song chords are C# B A, so I thinks the key is C#. When jimi is soloing he is also in C#, but at the parts he is singing then he is playing in E. The E major scale goes E F# G# A B C# D# E wich fits in C# B A, so if all this is all right joder!!!! it´s very interesting. And it sounds really different/good I want to learn all this stuff!!!!

BTW, moonpie, thanks a lot for those links, I´m not very busy at work, so I can study the music theory at http://www.cyberfret.com There is a chapter called "how chord progressions work", but I want to study the previous things first. 1 :spin
    once again!!!

Hmmmmmmm. Better check your tuning jimi13. It's possible that Jimi tuned his guitar a 1/2 tone flat for that song. It should be in C as Kap'n said.

Forum Member

I think the original "WatchTower" by Dylan is in Am.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRain
    I think the original "WatchTower" by Dylan is in Am.
    Sure is. I find it very funny though that most people who play Watchtower have never heard the original, and still play it in Am.
    orange picks

Hmmmm. I've always played it Em D C.

Hmmmm. I've always played it Em D C.
    It's all in where your vocal range is. Em, D, C always has me thinking Michelle Shocked's Black Widow.
    orange picks

Am G F always has me thingking Stairway to Heaven or Don't Feat the Reeper.

2007 Fender Eric Johnson blonde/2007 PRS McCarty IR 10-top, gold pkg. vintage yellow/2006 Gretsch 6120 SSLVO/2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom 68' Reisse triburst/2008 Tom Anderson Cobra Special/2008 Ibanez JEM7V /2007 Egnater 4212 100w combo
    The world is not a black and white place... It's green and blue

You're Welcome
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

cool stuff moonpie. Lots to sift through.

jimi13 - Do you read music at all?
    Nothing beats an RC and a MoonPie!

Forum Member

My biggest problem is playing licks within these scales...sure you can know the scales left and right and which scales go with whatever chord progression...

Are there any good links or tutorials (books, videos) on licks

I play mostly classic rock minor pentatonic stuff..but would love to learn more...

Great topic...

Quote Originally Posted by raisingwood
    My biggest problem is playing licks within these scales...sure you can know the scales left and right and which scales go with whatever chord progression...
    Seriously, if you're not using these other scales, you really don't "know them left and right". You may have commited them to muscle memory, but if you're not using them it's because you're not hearing them.

The key to doing any of this is to "hear" it. That means, taking the scales one at a time and listening to them. Applying them. Every time you learn a new riff that takes you outside of your current knowledge, you would be well advised to see which scale it actually comes from. Through such practical application and discovery, the tones and scales will start to make a lot more sense.

Rock playing is ALOT more than playing solos over a pent minor scale. There are so many bands that go so much further than that. Find an old copy of the original "Theme for an Imaginery Western" from the album "Mountain, Climbing" and learn the solos. They are very simple, very melodic, very major, and very different from the pent minor scales. Books and tapes are cool, but they're going to tell you the same thing. Listen. Develop the ability to "hear it" through practical application.

Then lsiten to some of the melodic solos on Boston's first album. Way beyond pent minor stuff there to!

Forum Member

The key to doing any of this is to "hear" it. That means, taking the scales one at a time and listening to them. Applying them. Every time you learn a new riff that takes you outside of your current knowledge, you would be well advised to see which scale it actually comes from. Through such practical application and discovery, the tones and scales will start to make a lot more sense. ...
    That's it - you have to hear this stuff. One of my teachers used to refer to scales as "sounds". In other words he might refer to a dorian mode as minor 7th sound. But you've got to actually play this scale against the chord to hear it.