Thread: Rattle On the Low E string

Forum Member

Rattle On the Low E string

I just got my guitar set-up and now I have a bit of a rattle on my low E string but it is only when I'm fretting that string like say I'm single note picking and I have the Low E pressed down it has a rattle, no matter where I'm at on the fretboard, so its not like a neck adjustment is needed because it is everywhere not just at a certain area. ANY HELP? It's not anything major but it's DRIVING ME "F'ing NUTS!!!!!
    <-----thats what I feel like hearing this all the time.

Re: Rattle On the Low E string

Actually, it is a neck relief issue. When you play really low action it becomes a very delicate balance between string height and neck relief. You need the neck to be almost perfectly flat if you're going to go that low. Or, your truss rod is loose and vibrating.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

my action isn't low, i actually play fairly high action.

remember I'm a SRV REJECT.... ;)

fezz parka

Check the truss rod as Bob suggests, and check the saddles, nut, tuners, etc., to see if it's happening there. I had this happen on a Strat neck pickup mounting screw. It'd only vibrate when I played the low E string.

Sorry man. I must have halleucinated. I thought you said "low" action somewhere in your post. I'll just have to read slower next time.

Is the buzz from the string itself? Or is something rattling a bit on the guitar?

Right. First is it a buzz or a fret rattle from string slap? Two different deals and each has its own solution.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

It is String Rattle, I think..... I tried raising the saddle on the Low E to see if that worked adn it seemed to help a little but I'm not sure if it sounds better or if it's in my head that it sounds better. MY MIND MIGHT BE PLAYIN TRICKS ON ME.

Is the string wound down on the post with the same number of winds that you're used to?
    If the string is wound up or there are not a couple of windings there will be less tension on the nut allowing the string to rattle.

OK, next question.

Is it coming through the amp or just there when you play unplugged?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Hmmmmmmmmm, I think he's "rattled" by all this. :)

Forum Member

No you can't hear it through the amp only when I'm not plugged in or with the volume off, but it bugs the shit out of me because it didn't happen before.

No it doesn't have the traditional 3 winds around the post only 1.5 maybe 2

NO I'm not RATTLED BY ALL OF THIS... :bug LOL

Sounds to me like it's 1 of 3 things: Neck relief, nut, or bridge saddle or a combination of them. The first thing I'd check are the witness points ie: saddle/nut. Make sure you have adequate windings around teh tuning machine peg (preferably 3) and wind them as close to the base of the peg as possible to establish good tension and contact with the nut. Once this is done, I'd play with the saddle height a bit and see if that helps. If the action is too high to be buzz free, I would then adjust the neck relief a little bit each day (maybe 1/4 turn each day) to see how this effects the fret buzz. Or if you're worried about screwing up your guitar, you could find a trusted tech in town to set it up for you - no harm in that.

Admittingly this is odd coming from a player who likes high action. You almost always hear this sort of buzz issue coming from guys with mucho low action (like me).

best of luck to ya :)
    Last edited by Rhian Batson; 05-24-2005 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling/clarity
    Bass: It's What's For Dinner.