Thread: Blues Deluxe/Deville Vs HR Deluxe/Deville

Forum Member

Blues Deluxe/Deville Vs HR Deluxe/Deville

I was told buy a guitar shop owner today that the Blues deville and the Hotrod deville are the same circuits.The only difference is that the Blue Deville only uses half the V2 12AX7 for the drive circuit and the HR Deville uses the other half of that valve for it's MORE DRIVE circuit.
    If that's the case then the 2 amps should sound the same if you don't use the Hotrods More drive.I just happen to get my hands on both and with all the dials set the same the Blues Deville sounded warmer,more vintage.
    The Blues deville is 8 years older and played heaps of gigs and the HR was brand new....could that be the that be the difference or was the guy in the shop full of sh#t

Can anyone enlighten me on that one????

Confused Watto

I have an HR Deville 2 x 12. It's OK. I did change all pre amp tubes to 12 AT 7s though. This helps tame the gain. Before it was all or nothing.

You see the HR Devilles on stage.. I saw them being used by the guys from Coldplay on a live TV thing. Also Luther Allison and his other guitarist were using them on a taped TV special.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

I had a blonde 2x12 DeVille for a few years and never really liked it. I replaced all the tubes with GE 5751's and Phillips 7581 power tubes and it still sounded mediocre at best. I was thinking of replacing the speakers when I decided, screw it, and sold it. I also didn't like the way the volume pots worked - either 'off' or 'loud.'

I think they get used a lot because they're sort of disposable. They're relatively cheap and easy to find and no one's going to shed a tear if they get smashed up. The last time I saw a guy in a local band using one, his playing was very good but his tone was kind of fizzy and cardboard-sounding.

Anyway, now that I've bitched about the amps, I'd say get the older Blues version. They do seem to sound a bit better than the Hot Rod version. You could put some Weber speakers in it to spiff up the tone.

Forum Member
    I own the old Tweed 4x10 blues deville and My Hot Rod 4x10 is for sale but no-one is buying it.D'OH.
    It's just that the guy in the shop says they're exactly the same circuits and it doesn't sound like that to me.I think he was pulling it?
    Does anyone know the answer.

Watto

how can they be the same circuit if the hot rod deville has a whole extra gain stage that the blues doesnt?
    Finally...a forum for REAL guitars.

Forum Member
    The blues deville drive circuit is supposed to only use half of the 12ax7 i.e only half the pins are connected the More drive circuit utilises the other half of the valve/unused pins.This is how I understand it but as I'm not an Amp tech I don't know if this is A:possible and B:True

The guitar shop owner said that this is the only difference between the 2 amps (Apart from the odvious tweed/tolex covering)

Either way I'm still confused?

Watto

TFF Stage Crew

My 2 amps--my 2 cents

For the longest time I've used a stereo stage rig of my '95 Blues Deluxe and my '01 HR Deluxe.

I can tell you this--same chassis, same components, same everything, with the exception of a couple extra electronic components in the HRDx which appear (to my own, non-amp-tech eyes) to essentially boost the signal to the drive tube.

I can also tell you this--they sound much different. I've recently gone back to a one-amp live rig, and despite it's dirty and worn tweed covering, I'm using the BDx and NOT the HRdx.

I've never done much tube experiementation, so my tubes are all the factory recommended Groove Tubes. Yet, my BDx gets it's sweet spot and sounds perfect at about 3, but the HRdx becomes just too damn loud at 2. I can get "my sound" on the BDx by just nudging the bass to 1:00 and leaving the treble and mid at 12:00, but on the HRDx I have to turn town the treble, crank the bass way up.

One could argue that the 7-year-old BDx is just "broken in," but I'd insist it always sounded this great to me, whereas the HRDx has always been to harsh and too bright. It works nicer in the stereo pair, but for one amp only, I'm shelving the HRDx.

Hope that helps a bit.

Forum Member
    Last night I found an article explaining the exact differences between the 2 and also an article that tells you how to turn the HRD into a blackface sound (works on BD as well).
    Once I sift through all the technical mumbo jumbo I'll post the results for everyone.

Forever tonehunting

Watto

TFF Stage Crew
    Thanks Watto, I'm interested to hear about that.