Thread: Can a Kahler be replaced w/a fixed bridge?

Can a Kahler be replaced w/a fixed bridge?

A guy I know has an 80's Jackson Charvel with a Kahler.

He doesn't use the Kahler.
    He wants to know if it can either be locked in place or replaced with some sort of hardtail bridge.
    I suggested just tightening the springs so it becomes hard to move.

Any thoughts?:%
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Re: Can a Kahler be replaced w/a fixed bridge?

I have worked on that exact guitar for my best friend, who uses the Kahler and needed it repaired. This tremolo really doesn't move at all if you just remove the arm. It has some massive springs underneath that are difficult to move without the fulcrum of the trem arm.

You can also tighten the rotational tension on the tremolo arm clutch to make sure it doesn't move easily. I found an adjustment and set up manual for the Kahler on-line, in .pdf format, which helped me troubleshoot and repair the thing. The clutch is adjusted with an allen wrench, and is in the first hole in the cam to the left of where the trem arm screws in.

Putting another bridge on the guitar may be tricky, as there is a pretty big hole routed out of the guitar body for the springs underneath and to allow room for the cam to turn. I played the guitar quite a bit while troubleshooting it, and if you don't have the arm installed the trem really didn't move. That's probably the best thing, just remove the arm and tighten the clutch tension.

I agree. There is no need to remove it. A kahler plays just like a hard tail and doesn't float around like a Floyd Rose. I was a big Kahler fan in the 80's for that very reason. You could chunka chunka without the pitch shift.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Yep, I like Kahlers much better than Floyds, but I'd still rather not have either.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Thanks for the info, fellas.
    Very informative, cre. I'll probably print your post out and give it to the guy.

This guy seems a little clueless. You'd think after all this time he'd figure out the arm removal thing.
    This is one of those where the bridge ass't. sits in a "trench" on top of the body, which would tough to make up for, height-wise, witha fifferent type of bridge.
    I don't think I've ever played a Kahler-ized guitar. Floyd always seemed very wiggly. And they're such big hunks of hardware.
    That dive-bombing elephant sound, wee-woo-woo movement totally got by me.

Thanks again.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Floyds definitely "articulate" better than Kahlers but, Kahlers are much more stable for the other 99% of your playing.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

You could probabily try tightening the pins that the cam rotates on as well.

Or if it's still not to you liking you can buy a kahler 3300 fixed bridge.http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_pag...%20Bridges.htm