Thread: Do you stomp or plug straight in to your clean Fender amps?

Forum Member

Do you stomp or plug straight in to your clean Fender amps?

I love the sound of my 4x10 Bassman when plugged straight in and volum at 9 for some nice powertube overdrive, but some might say it's too loud! Can you imagine that?
    Hence I'm sometimes forced to stomp and thank God for the Klon Centaur which IMHO works great with my Bassman.

What about you guys? What do ya prefer? :wail1
    Last edited by Johnny B.; 07-28-2002 at 01:34 AM.
    Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth, .... I wan't to be ready.

I run straight to all my amps. I've really gotten my self back to the basics.
    Aaron
    Alias: Fat Dog Lee
    Play it like ya mean it.
    http://www.groups.msn.com/aaronsclub

Forum Member
    I do the exact same thing as you Johnny B. I do that, if I have to, with all of my Fender amps except for my tweed Deluxe. The Klon is great. I do the same thing with my non-master volume Marshalls too, if I have to.

Straight into my amp, no effects or stompboxes except a 63' RI Reverb unit that I use on rare occasions.

Casey4s

Forum Member
    Sneak-up from behind and stick it straight into that bad girl....

Forum Member
    I'm the Blues heretic here. I have a Fender Bassbreaker (Fender Custom Shop Bassman w/ 2X12s).

That sucker is dry! Sounds great plugging straight in but I'm a Blues heretic!

Guitar plugs into > Teese RMC1 Wah > Captain Coconut II > Visual Sound Jeckle & Hyde > Boss Blues Driver or Turbo Overdrive > Visual Sound H20 > Electro Harmonix Holy Grail > Buzzy Feiten Tuner > Amp.

It's all true by pass and sometimes I play with no effects on at all. Sounds great. I have options. One sound all night doesn't do it for me.

stxrus
    i recently acquired a box of boss pedals. some working, some dead, and some somewhere in the ozone.
    moslty i plug in straight but the neighbors complain when i crank my little PR up to a distortion level.
    still looking for a good overdrive/distortion box that sounds good at bedroom levels.
    :stxrus
    peace
    steve

Forum Member
    I plug straight in to a wah into my amp.

Forum Member
    Straight in if the amp has reverb built-in. If it's one of my older Fenders without reverb, I plug in through a reissue Fender tube reverb, modded with a Hoffman board and all NOS tubes. No pedals, don't need 'em.

Forum Member
    I like the tone of plugging straight in but even my Pro Jr. is to loud
    to get an overdrive sound at bedroom levels. So I use a guitar> FD2>H2O>amp set-up.
    I just acquired a red-knob Champ 12 that is a channelswitcher. It has a great overdrive tone! So now I can plug straight in and get some good tube crunch at low levels.
    Right now, as I'm typing, I've got my LP plugged straight into a RI 1987 Plexi w/ a THD Hot Plate into a Jackson 4x12.
    shakin' the bush, boss

Forum Member
    i use stomp boxes infront of my hot rod deluxe it sounds great with me tele i couldnt believe my tone today!

Forum Member

Depends

It depends on the situation. I often go clean, especially w/ a Tele. But, when I want to jack it up or add some nice overdrive, I step on the Barber Dual Unit - usually the Tone Pump side for the Strat and the Burn Unit side for the Tele.

Forum Member
    I stomp.

Forum Member
    Most of the time just guitar, cable, and amp. Sometimes I will use a Boss blues driver just to add a little crunch to the SRRI. Without the pedal the volume is set a 5 with about 3.5.

Michael

Usually straight in, but ...

I am one of the hated modeling (Line 6) stooges.

Dale

I'm not a gigging guitarist so don't need all the whizz-bang effects for cover songs and such. I'm also a valve or tube amp player and use the guitar vol to control clean or driven tones.

I must admit I do occasionally use a FullDrive II Overdrive to sweeten things up but mostly pure vanilla into the amp.

If you have more amp than you can use or a gigging guitarist you may very well need a pedalboard. If not, don't buy more amp than you can use.

Hammer on.....Blair

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    When I'm running through the Bassman my chain is: guitar->Expandora II->'63 Reverb Tank->Bassman. That's a basic setup, normally I use some various chorus, echo, wah, and overdrive effects, throwing in the nichy ones when appropriate. I don't generally like plugging straight into "traditional" amps.
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member

Clean and Mean

I'm clean when I'm clean and stomping either the Barber Tone Pump for a sip of juice or a Direct Drive for a big gulp.

Forum Member
    IMO, old fender amps are so responsive to dynamics, it is almost a shame to put a pedal in the signal path.

i love the tone of straight into my amp, but i do use a a couple boxes. FD2, RAT, MXR Micro Amp. sometimes a MXR blue Box for the freakouts!!!. thats it.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I also like the sound of a CRANKED Bassman! I try to limit my use of this particular tone tool though, I don't want to be rude to my neighbors. :)
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member
    I'll throw a TS9 in front of my Showman. I tried my Mesa V twin with my Fender and it bacame a metal amp.

Forum Member
    I have no problem squeezing good tone straight from an amp. When I do Dire Straits type things it is the Strat direct into a Fender Reverb Combo.

Of course a nice compressor really sounds good with this and doesn't hurt...

I like effects. I've used them forever, and if you know how, they juice things up fine.

In general, a good Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz pedal works great with Fender guitars and amps. I get monster good tones and will put them up against anyones. It is a proven combination, and many benchmark recorded tones feature it. The choice is mine whether to turn it on or not, and properly set up works wonderfuly for organic dynamic overdrive, or in your face distortion. As well as the Distortions/Overdives work for my Tele's and Strats, I find other combo's work well for me too.

Tele's get Delay,(gotta have some slapback to rockabilly), and I like Chorus and Phase Shifting for moody things, and I love the way my Jim Kelsey modded MXR Dyna Comp works with my Tele's and Fender amps! Gotta have it!

Strats get the full treatment, depending on my mood or the gig. I am a huge Robin Trower/Hendrix fan, and Uni Vibe- SD9-Vox Wah get me there in style. I also will use Flanging, Delay, Chorus, Octave or Envelope filters to get me where I wanna be, sonicly..

Of course the Texas Blues SRV thang has me using the Wah and Vibe with a TS9 or equivilent overdrive with an Ocvtavia sometimes.

I have yet to find a way to do these things without effects and I'll be damned if I limit myself to a black n white existence in a technicolor world!

I tailor my effect choices to the tone I want to exploit, and much like painting I prefer to use all the colors. Like the Crayons I used as a child, I allways wanted the BIG BOX!!!
    The Sun don't shine, the Moon don't move the tides to wash me clean..

strat and hollowbody w/filtertrons setup:

ultra vibe---maxon compressor---expandora ll---rat---maxon 808---analogman clone chorus---voodoo lab tremolo

into a 59 ri bassman @ about 4

nice.
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member
    I normally have 8 pedals on my board in front of my BF Bassman. Love the clean sound of the Bassman, but in my band, I need to cover a lot of ground. So, I stomp.

For those interested, my chain goes something like:
    Milkbox Compressor >>>PE Overdriver>>> Keeley BD-2 Distortion>>> Big Muff Fuzz>>> MXR Blue Box Octave/Fuzz>>> TR-2 Tremolo>>> DL-5 Delay>>> EH Holy Grail Reverb>>> into the amp.

I stomp. Need to!

Vox Wah
    Fulldrive 2
    Fat-Boost
    TS-9/808
    Octafuzz (part time)

Forum Member
    I'll be damned if I limit myself to a black n white existence in a technicolor world! = You like the big box of crayons!

big al knows how to strike a chord
    :nelson