Thread: New guy with Hot Rod Deluxe big issue

New guy with Hot Rod Deluxe big issue

Hi to all, I am brand new on this forum and still in the learning process on how everything works, but you tell me if I need to ameliorate or change something... I'll get there bit by bit!

To tell you the truth I signed up since I read a few answers from some of you folks who seem to know quite a lot in tube amps. Impressed, I was! Actually it is the very first forum I ever sign at so...

I do have a problem with my amp and perhaps wish to have some of your feedback on it. Here it is:

My Hot Rod Deluxe is lightning up and has sound. But I have to turn the sound all the way up to 4 before I can hear something and it is still very weak. I mean I can turn it up to 10, the sound is distorted (On the clean channel) like if there was an overdrive but it still sounds weak (I could put my ear on the front grill and feel very comfortable with the sound at 10). For a 40 watts amp that is scary! Everything functions well, I can even hear the difference when I change the overdrives, it is just that the sound is sooooooo weak. I changed the tubes, so I know it is not that. Could it be the Output trans?

If you have an idea where to look first. I mean in the worst case scenario I can bring it to a tech, but if any of you ever had this problem or would know more than me where to look...

I'm saying Hi to all you fine folks and wish some good exchange in a near future.

Re: New guy with Hot Rod Deluxe big issue

Jesus! I've got a Hot Rod Deluxe and it is loud enough to knock down walls!

Something must be really wrong with your amp. I wish I could help, but I don't know what...

Could be a lot of things, but the first that come to mind are:

Plugged into the extension jack rather than the main jack

Blown OT
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Hey, don't worry, my Hot Rod Deluxe used to be loud to make a deaf hear again! But I do agree with the idea of the blown OT. Now what do you mean when you say "Plugged into the extension jack rather than the main jack"?

Quote Originally Posted by Riccarp
    Now what do you mean when you say "Plugged into the extension jack rather than the main jack"?
    I don't know how the HRD is wired, but on old-style Fenders, there are two output jacks, the "Main" and the "Extension." If you plug into the extension jack without plugging into the main jack first, the entire output is shorted out, and you'll get a very weak sound. Eventually you'll also blow up your amp.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    I don't know how the HRD is wired, but on old-style Fenders, there are two output jacks, the "Main" and the "Extension." If you plug into the extension jack without plugging into the main jack first, the entire output is shorted out, and you'll get a very weak sound. Eventually you'll also blow up your amp.
    You're right Kap'n, the HRDx is wird the same way. Good insight too. Hope thats the problem because it would certainly be the easiest to fix.
    Like Rainman... only not as well adjusted

You guys are absolute geniouses!!!!! I just verified where my speaker was plugged and yes... extension jack! My fault though, once I cleaned up the amp and unplugged the speaker. Looks like I won't make that mistake again! I would like to thank you very much for your help and insight. Just to know what the hurt is brings relief... boy I sound like psycho, but it does!!

Now what do you suggest me to do. For sure I need a new O/T. Do you have an idea on which company to buy from? Mercury Magnetics?

Forgot to mention something. The reason why I say I would need a new O/T is because the main speaker jack sounds the same as the extension jack. Meaning: they both sound the same with the same weak sound. I wouldn't want to jump on conclusions to fast, but I would assume the O/T does not deliver anymore. Do you think this would be a fair assumption? Or am I missing something else?

I just looked at the back of me Deluxe and those two inputs are not marked extension and speaker..so you could easily get it wrong.

my problem is the amp gets dirty on the clean channel pretty quickly at a gig, even if it's not really turned up (about 4) Also the red 'on' light goes off after a while.

i think it needs a service

BTW what is an O/T ?

Forum Member

Output Transformer?

Quote Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler
    Output Transformer?
    Yep.

As a reference, HRD output transformers are $47 at Angela.
    orange picks

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. I don't think anyone would want to dish out $47 if they don't have to.

First thing is first, if the amp is new TAKE IT BACK.

Why do so many people need to be told this?
    Justin

"Music without emotion is noise."

Forum Member

Laziness, I guess. Fender has a 5-year warranty, but most people dončt take it advantage of it.