Thread: Old Squire Strat -- should I leave as is, or repair/replace parts?

Forum Member

Old Squire Strat -- should I leave as is, or repair/replace parts?

I recently acquired a Squire Strat (E series) which is in generally very good condition, except that the tremolo is showing surface corrosion on many spots. Doesn't seem to affect functionality or playability. My question: would you recommend replacing the corroded parts with vintage parts? Or would it be better to leave the corroded ones in place until and unless it affects function? And as for replacement, anyone know where one can find possible replacement parts? (From Serial number it would be from between 1984 and 1987).

Thanks.

FiveG

Re: Old Squire Strat -- should I leave as is, or repair/replace parts?

Why mess with it?
    That's character growin' there son, character.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

well if u dumpt it send it to me...ill make my red strat project around it.

You might want to leave it alone.

Installing US parts on a Squier is opening a smelly can of worms as the Squier is metric and almost nothing fits without at least a little modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    You might want to leave it alone.

Installing US parts on a Squier is opening a smelly can of worms as the Squier is metric and almost nothing fits without at least a little modification.
    too true. i am/was looking for a tremelo to replace the two pivot on my american fender and in the end its not worth the bother. if the rust bothers you than sand that sucker down and enjoy a "brushed" look.

Guys pay big money to have that rust added at the Custom Shop. Leave it be.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Replace the pickups, pots, and 5-way switch, and you'll have a gig worthy instrument that will serve you well for years.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

As long as the bridge pieces will still move and you are able to set the intonation/height adjustments, I'd leave it alone. In the past I've had to replace a few because of too much corrosion (right hand sweat and living on the gulf).
    As far as pickups,if you have the ones with the bar magnet underneath,those are pretty nice sounding....I believe Duke Robillard said those were his favorites a few years ago.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by refin
    As long as the bridge pieces will still move and you are able to set the intonation/height adjustments, I'd leave it alone. In the past I've had to replace a few because of too much corrosion (right hand sweat and living on the gulf).
    As far as pickups,if you have the ones with the bar magnet underneath,those are pretty nice sounding....I believe Duke Robillard said those were his favorites a few years ago.
    I haven't checked under the pickups -- guitar was just set up and I don't want to mess that up. Any way I can tell externally about the pickups?

From what I understand, however, it's all the original stuff on it, so from what everyone's said, I'm inclined just to leave it all as be.

Thanks.

FiveG

Quote Originally Posted by FiveG
    I haven't checked under the pickups -- guitar was just set up and I don't want to mess that up. Any way I can tell externally about the pickups?

From what I understand, however, it's all the original stuff on it, so from what everyone's said, I'm inclined just to leave it all as be.

Thanks.

FiveG
    If it sounds good,plays good,and tunes up,leave it alone,or save the original parts.I have an '88 MIJ Strat (non Squier) that has stock pups that are stupid good.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

Does anyone know if there's anything odd about restringing this vintage? FiveG

Howdy
    I have a 73 strat that i have had since it was new. It now has a rusty bridge and the bridge saddles have grooves cut into them by the strings from using the whammy bar all the time. It not only adds charecter it really stays in tune. Dont know why.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEH
    Replace the pickups, pots, and 5-way switch, and you'll have a gig worthy instrument that will serve you well for years.
    Funny you should mention that MIKEH. There just happens to be a nice set of Tex Mex p'ups all wired up in a pickguard and ready to go over in the Memebers Classified section. Just connect the two wires from the input jack and you're playing!

I heard the proceeds from the sale also get donated to TFF so purchasing this upgrade for this Squier Strat gives it the extra mojo!

Yes FiveG! You should update that little beauty.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEH
    Amen. I've owned two, and gig with this one:

I've modded the hell out of the electronics, and am about to change pickups again, and I'm putting a Warmoth neck on it. You might say that there's not much 'Squier' left to it, but I don't see it that way. Even with the electronics and neck replacement, I'll still have less than $500 in it.

Mod your guitar, and keep the original parts. Turn it into what YOU want it to be. Better than having a guitar you make excuses for, or worse, don't use.