Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Overdrive pedal suggestions

Re: Overdrive pedal suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Yep. I'll let Henry Garza, John Mayer, Mato, and all the rest carry the SRV torch. I'm lighting my own way.
    I am, too! As blooz rawk legend Blind Lemon Filling...
    Time wounds all heels.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    The last thing I want to sound like is SRV. Bleech. The TS9 stays in the basement. I use it as a doorstop.
    Me neither, honestly. Though I use a TS9 a lot, I am trying to get a different, warmer fuzzier tone from it...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

TFF Stage Crew

We do Pride & Joy every gig, and I deliberately use the OCD instead of my FD2 just so I won't sound like that.

I love to listen to SRV and I find his playing inspiring sometimes, but I've never wanted to sound like him. Honestly, it's why I left Strats in 2002 after 20 years of using them. Everyone was doing that sound from the mid-90s on, and I just didn't even want to draw the association.

Teles cleansed my palate.

Deymour Duncan SFX-03 to me.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

I don't care about sounding like SRV either but I was playing a strat long before him. My pedal board is minimal = Tuner, TS9, Wah Wah and T Rex Replica. The TS9 is used sparingly and mostly when I'm using my old Ibanez Artist (I prefer this to an LP). I run through a very good custom built tube amp and get the overdrive I need by turning up the guitar and changing my attack. At least that's how I do it and if I don't always get strokes on my chops I always get complimented on my tone. I'm happy.

I do get perturbed with what seems to be a common idea that SRV's tone is the sound of a strat. They are many, many strat players with awesome tone that don't sound like SRV. Mark Knopfler comes to mind and I have grown fond of John Mayers sound neither one of which resembles SRV. Come to think of it, my tone is awesome and nothing like SRV's.

Forum Member

It's ironic that no one wants to sound like Stevie. If you listen to any of his albums, he sounds so much like Albert King and Jimi Hendrix, depending on the moment, that it's downright astonishing. I like him. I like his tone. I like his energy. I think you could do a lot worse than to emulate him. Blues is a very wonderful and deep, but narrow style. it's hard to avoid sounding like someone else. Even Otis Rush sounds a lot like Albert and BB at times. If we all stop using Strats, TS-9s, Fuzz Faces, Super Reverbs or whatever else, I think we've missed the point. To me it's not about that. Use what you like if it floats your boat and don't worry about who else did or whether it's currently fashionable/unfashionable to play the same gear or get a similar tone.
    just my .02

blueman61
    Last edited by blueman61; 03-14-2007 at 01:23 PM.

I would love to sound like SRV, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon.
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    --Albert Einstein

+1 for the Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive,,,,I use mine stacked with a Boss MD-2....MD-2 set kinda' TAME...I like the clean mix ability on the Sparkledrive, and the MD-2 has a "low" adjustment to dial in the bottom you may lose....I was skeptical about the MD-2 before purchase, but it's really an adjustable distortion, which I don't use much, just adds some umph until I can afford those high dollar jobs I am dying to afford to try...just my 2 cents.......
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.....
    Custom tele, Mexi-strat, Epi Les Paul,SX PRS knockoff (don't laugh, it's a KILLER axe...) Fender Precission, "62 Tweed Champ, Dual Showman Reverb, Lab Series L-9, various imports and mongrels, all lefties.....