Thread: NOS Basement Find

Forum Member

NOS Basement Find

Hello

New to the forum. Great things you guys are doing here.

About 18 years ago, a friend of mine let me borrow his fender telecaster. He didn't play....still doesn't. I used it for awhile and then put it away.
    He never asked for it back. He told me that if he ever learned how to play, he knew where it was. Knowing that it wasn't mine, I put it away in it's case and stored it in the basement.
    To make a long story short, I found it the other day. Same new condition as it was 18 years ago except for some finish checking. The guitar is an 83. Looks like the new 52 reissue.
    Was wondering if there's any history to this thing...except for not being played for no more then 3 hrs. of it's life.
    Thanks in advance.
    You guys rock.

Forum Member
    in the early 80's Fender did make a 52 reissue. Willies had one of those for sale a couple months ago.

Forum Member
    BrentK

Really? I suppose the serial # would tell me more. And that's under the neck. Right?

A friend had an '83 that looked kind of like a '52 reissue.
    It had a black single ply pickguard.
    The color was actually solid cream though and the strings didn't pass through the body.
    I think it was just a regular American made Tele.
    It looked cool and sounded good.

Nice find! '82 was the first year for '52 RIs, if I remember correctly. Serial number should be stamped on the bridge plate between the saddles and pickup. Yours might be a 4 (or 5) digit number, which will also have a dot stamped underneath the number. Neck should also have a date on it at the butt end. Let us know what you find- these early ones are becoming quite desirable!

Forum Member
    The neck butt says 9-1-65-82.
    Stamped by I Torres.
    Bridge plate says nada.
    This thing rocks. Should have found it years ago.