Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Requested MASS review!

fezz parka

Re: The Requested MASS review!

That's why I got the Vibrolux Reverb. It's like half a Super!

Forum Member

Reeeeeeeeeally?

That's interesting. What's the speaker configuration, how many watts, what type of tube and how much does it weigh? Just curious. You might have triggered additional GAS. Great, just great! :lol

fezz parka

It's the other one in the pic. 1966 Vibrolux Reverb, 2 x10's (Jensen C10N's), 30-35 watts, 6L6's, around 40 lbs. I never play the SR anymore.

Forum Member

Interesting. Why don't you sell it?

fezz parka

I never know when I might play a stadium.:hee

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    That's why I got the Vibrolux Reverb. It's like half a Super!
    That'd be why they're the hot vintage BF amp right now. Nobody wants to lug the SR anywhere anymore.

Back in the day, you traded down to a super when you were tired of lugging your stack. :rl
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

"Sweet Dreams" is just amazing.:yay
    I actually have the "Sweet Dreams Anthology." It's a 2-CD album. I'm guessing it's a compilation and not really an album per se. Regardless, it sounds killer. I *really* enjoy Black Autumn, The Story of Isaac, etc... Good songs, although the religious themes are a bit annoying, IMHO.

Good stuff! :yay

Forum Member

I found this review on a message board and pretty much echoes our own ToneMonkey's findings.

===============================
    "I have had my Mini Mass for a few months now and am really pleased with its performance. Probably the most useful piece of gear that I have ever bought (apart from amps and guitars of course.)
    I originally thought I would use it more with the Pro Junior, but find myself using my Blues Deluxe more and more. I can't believe the tone of that amp around 4 or 5 on the clean channel.
    I do notice a loss of high frequencies at higher attenuation levels, but find that I can compensate with the tone controls on the amp itself.
    I highly recommend the Mini Mass to anyone with a tube amp!!!"
    ===============================

I'm seriously considering getting one for when I move out.

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

After a little more experimentation I've found that backing off the tone controls globally elicits the best sounds so far from the MASS. It seems a little sweeter when you back off the full on frequency assault I sometimes go with. I love this thingbetter the more I use it.

Forum Member

Ok caught my breath!

James Pennebaker, Bill Hullett, Johnny Hiland, Tab Benoit, Brent Mason, Luther Perkins, Clarence White, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Redd Volkaert, Mike Campbell, Jim Campolingo, Hank Garland, Will Ray, Jerry Donahue, John Jorgenson, Terry Kath, Reggie Young...
    You forgot Kieth Richards!

Forum Member

Hello tonemonkey. I have finally decided to purchase an attenuator for my HRDLX but........I'm undecided as to which one . The mini is supposed to be more interactice with the amp while the load dump is purely resistive load. The opinions seem to be split as which one colors the tone the least depending of course on attenuation level and I would think the amp itself. So after 6 months of use what do you think of the mass now. All opinions and experiences with either of these units would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan
    Hello tonemonkey. I have finally decided to purchase an attenuator for my HRDLX but........I'm undecided as to which one . The mini is supposed to be more interactice with the amp while the load dump is purely resistive load. The opinions seem to be split as which one colors the tone the least depending of course on attenuation level and I would think the amp itself. So after 6 months of use what do you think of the mass now. All opinions and experiences with either of these units would be appreciated.
    I hear good things about the newest Mass. Lots of features, and looks solid. I have nothing but praise for my older style Mass. I would get one that rated for 100 watts. Better to have too myuch than not enough.

CT.

Forum Member

It was suggested that as long as I wasn't going to dime my amp the 50 watt would suffice. The mini only comes in the 25 & 50 watt the next step up is the 100 watt masss which looks like it has more options.

Forum Member

Based on the responses maybe I will look at other options, thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Actually, a Strat can't do anything a tele can do. A tele's got three very distinct, bold sounds. A strat has five different variations on the same sound. Both are great, but one is not the other.
    Bah.

Everyone thinking person knows that tone is all in the fingers.

Trouble is, most Tele players I've met have five thumbs...

('cept the Esquire players, of course. They typically have six.)

-Mark

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

Gosh darn it, I missed the question......sorry guitarzan.

THe MASS, mini or otherwise, is probably a better attenuator than a load dump. Electric guitar is a lot about the interaction between an amp and a guitar, and it's speakers. With a load dump, or from my experience the Marshall powerbreak, the effect is a total and non specific loss of volume rather than a reactive event where compression increases as you dig in more. My MASS is reliable, and extremely well built, I recommend it heartily.

Forum Member

Thanks tonemonkey, for the price it might be worth a shot. Been some good comments regarding them, yours included.

Forum Member

got a 100.00 gift certificate from work...i think i want one.
    kw