Thread: Where the heck are all the bass players?

Forum Member

Where the heck are all the bass players?

I keep checking here from time to time and no one's around.

What's up with that??

Forum Member
    It's really ashame, I also come here daily and there is nothing going on. Hey Yard dog, what kind of bass or basses do you have or play

Forum Member
    I have a '78 Rick 4001 and a '75 Fender Jazz.

Forum Member

Howdy ...

ShawnRT told me about this place today. I am regular over at the "Dudepit" as "jwymore" but this looks like potentially a nice alternative to the other Fender forum. Some of you might also recognize me from the LP forum and the Seymour Duncan forum.

Forum Member
    Hey Yard dog, I own 10 fenders- RB5,MM,standard jbass mia, deluxe j mim, walnut pbass 82, 2 pbasses mim, fretless jbass mij,75 jbassR.I. S.E.,sting pbass. I saw deluxe jbass i Love and may buy it.

Hey Folks...

Wassup with this place? Can't we take our hands off our basses for one second to type some sort of post? The traffic has been pathetic here.

Like Mr. Black Rose Custom, I visit the Dudepit as well. Best group of bass players (present company excluded) I've come across.

I visit that other Fender forum sometimes, but I'm often just plain embarassed by that place. This place has real potential!

We need more pictures here! That's the ticket!

Here are my current basses. I'm trying to simplify my life. The P, RB5, '77 Stingray, and Alembic are currently for sale.

Spose, you out there?! Buy a Fender and start posting! ;)

Ken

Forum Member
    A nice collection of basses, Ken. I like that P-bass, how much are you asking? I'm not in a position to buy right now, just curious.

yeah, I made a half-assed attempt to post some soundfiles, hoping others might follow suite.

this place needs some traffic for sure.

Ken how do you like that "Roscoe P. Coltraine" bass? I've heard good things about them.

I like that P bass too, but I just bought a bass. I like the colour. what year is it?
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Originally posted by Bolero

Ken how do you like that "Roscoe P. Coltraine" bass? I've heard good things about them.

I like that P bass too, but I just bought a bass. I like the colour. what year is it?

Hey B, I love all my basses. The Roscoe Beck is great as others can attest. It really captures alot of the J bass vibe. My only complain is that I wish it had a bit more snap/brightness when I slap/pluck. I'm thinking about selling it and looking into another Sadowsky or paying down debt.

The P Bass is a '74. You like the color? You're probably the only person I've ever heard admit that. It's mocha brown.

Folks, I'm beginning to believe that it's going to take a whole lot more pictures or celebrity posts to get more traffic here. Where are the pictures? Anybody know any famous bass players? ;)

Last edited by Ken; 10-17-2002 at 01:45 PM.

Forum Member
    I noticed that the bass forum here is sorta' dead.

I post regularly on Talk Bass, the FDP, sometimes on the TDPRI, and occassionally on the Pit.

I've currently got five basses, all Fenders: Stu Hamm Urge II; Heavily customized Jazz; Hot Rod P; Hot Rodded P; and a Sting. I use all five on fairly regular basis, lately favoring the HRP.

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!
    Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!

Originally posted by Ken

The P Bass is a '74. You like the color? You're probably the only person I've ever heard admit that. It's mocha brown.

yeah, I like it......I've never seen one that color; I'm not really into bright, shiny instruments.

also I'm a chocolate nut, so maybe it's subliminal? :)

nothing beats the finish on that Jazz though!!
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Forum Member
    Hey Ken, not enough snap for slap and pop? What string are you using, what gauge are you using?,How high is your action? I am curently using dean markey strings on mine and it sounds great!

Bass taste

Hey Folks,

Bolero...I'm just giving you are hard time. What's need about that mocha is that it's trans-mocha. You can see a nice view of the wood grain through it. I haven't tried taking a bit out of it, though.

Pyrohr, I just put a spanky new pair of Fender 8250 taperwounds/strings thrus. The strings that are supposed to be on that bass. It sounds great, but not enough brightness for my taste. BTW, I've got Deal Markely Blue Steels (lights) on my old Jazz and just put BS nickels on my Sadowsky. They are awesome strings so far!

Spose-man, thanks for the complement. I got that P Bass from Mark at the Guitar Loft. I don't know where he got it from. It used to have a white pickguard. BTW, Here's the HI RES VERSION if you're interested.

I hear what you say about Fender basses. They've evolved into "specialty instruments" to me. They don't give me that same flexibility as some of the other basses out there. However, running an old Fender through a Sadowsky or Fodera preamp pedal does wonders. I set-up and played my Alembic for a nice long time last night. What a great bass. After I sell the P, RB5, SR, and Fretless, I'll be on the hunt for an Ash Sadowsky or a nice Alembic Series bass. Spose, find me a nice long scale Series bass with real space between the neck pup and the fingerboard. ;)

Speaking of "new" basses...check out these THERON BRISON clips. I guess he's a Benavente bass endorser. I really dig the playing style and tone. Nice basses and still "affordable"--more than a Fender...less than another Sadowsky. Hmmmm.....;)
    Last edited by Ken; 10-18-2002 at 07:32 AM.

Hey guys !!
    Please check The Tone Zone !!! I have a question there related to basses !! Please, i really need an answer !!

By the way... there's a new bassist in town ;)
    the sound is in my hands
    Basslines | Fender | Harmony Central

how much do you want for the Music Man ?!

Ken, other thing... check out the Pickups section and help me out...

the sound is in my hands

Wahit, I can't really help you on how the SD/MM pup sounds, but the Bart in my modded Asin Dane fretless sounds great.

Welcome to the Forum!

well, i have to choose the Seymour Duncan's... no one in Portugal sells Bartolini and i can't seem to find Bartolini here in Europe
    the sound is in my hands

KEN : how much money are you asking for the Music Man ?!

i always wanted one, but i don't think i'll ever give that amount of money on a new one... :)
    the sound is in my hands

MM....

Sorry, I've decided to keep it for now and sell some other stuff first. (I tend to do this alot. Decide I need to sell a bass; play it again; change my mind.) If you're looking for a nice pre-EB stingray, you can find refins for around $1000 usually. If/when mine goes back up for sale, I'd be looking for around $1400 for starters.

France maybe? I'm sure SDs are nice too and won't set you back too many Euros or Escudo! :) (Ten years agon, My wife and I went to Sintra and the Algarve on our honeymoon. I love Portugal!)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Ken; 11-01-2002 at 11:25 AM.